The joys of biltong

Alistair

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
I've recently been introduced to biltong through an old school friend and I am thoroughly converted to its wonders.

That said, it seems difficult stuff to source here in the uk. As such, I thought I might try making some of my own, either with beef or possibly venison.

Can anyone suggest any decent recipes or sites on the subject? Seems simple enough in theory; meat, spice, heat, time, but I'd like this to go well if possible.

Any pointers on longer term storage would also be appreciated!

Cheers,
Al.

I make jerky from waterfowl as well as venison and beef. Duck and goose is much better as jerky than table fare in my opinion. Leaner meat is better.
Just season to your taste, smoke lightly in a smoker if possible (not required) and dry on low heat in the oven.
It may take you a few practice runs to get it right, but it is not difficult at all. Some people like to marinate it, but I prefer just seasoned and dried.
Good luck and let us know how it works out if you try it.

I too am a biltong fan.

i tried importing it from SA, (was told i could, they were wrong) and it was confiscated on my way in to the USA. so i looked for a recipe. this one is very simple and turned out pretty good,

i made a biltong box first, that looks very like this one,

i now have to make a batch every so often to feed my addiction. you will experiment here and there but these sites will give you a good starting point. good luck

I make jerky from waterfowl as well as venison and beef. Duck and goose is much better as jerky than table fare in my opinion. Leaner meat is better.
Just season to your taste, smoke lightly in a smoker if possible (not required) and dry on low heat in the oven.
It may take you a few practice runs to get it right, but it is not difficult at all. Some people like to marinate it, but I prefer just seasoned and dried.
Good luck and let us know how it works out if you try it.
Good flavour from wild fowl is all in preparation and cooking. Try marinating a duck for 24 hours then roasting to medium rare. I did one with and orange amd grand marnier jus and it was banging

Those recipes are fine on the videos shown...remember to cut your slices PARALLEL with the meat graunbd NOT across it!!!!!;
Hang in a suitable enclosure( fly screened structure) with a normal house fan swinging to ,ensure that ALL the hanging meat is touched by the moving,air for the first few days. Then fan can be removed.
Do not hang the treated strips touching each other ...meat will rot there!!
Once you take the strips down, pack into
Freezer plastic bags and store in freezer....for as long as you need!!
Once taken out and thawed, it will be in the same state as when put into the freezer.
Enjoy....

Hello Al,

A few years ago I got a unit like this from some place or other online in the UK. You could easily make one – I was lazy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biltong-Maker-Dryer-Dehydrator-Safari/dp/B00K79FZ72

It works well in summer or winter although the times to produce the finished article vary depending on ambient temperature & humidity of course. The points Bruce mentioned earlier regarding meat separation & direction of cut are vital.

There are lots of seasoning recipes online; my unit came with a sample pack & instructions but now I mix my own.

The results are far too excellent for my waistline – I was particularly pleased when a Kenyan friend asked for more!

You’ll be shocked at how much each slice of meat shrinks during the process.

Regards
Russell

Cheers guys,

First step seems to be to sort a drying box then. I'll see what I can find and go from there.

Al.

Google biltong box...many versions with DIY kits and instructions.
Also on how to make the biltong .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois