The ideal retreat home

Having two ancestral mountaintop farms in the family (and doing a lot of work and hunting on both growing up,) they hold a special place in my heart. All ancestors are buried on the one and my father on the other. My siblings take care of the one place and myself and my son the other. It has been a life-long dream to re-assemble the entire ancestral farm, so for the last 15 yrs or so I've been making deals with elder neighbors I've known my entire life, and have added 3 more parcels back (and currently leasing to purchase 3-4 more when the time is right.) 'Have hundreds of acres to roam, and the newest acquisition adds the perfect sunrise views to the original homestead sunset views. The dirt road in is not maintained beyond our place, so it functions as a very private, dead end. I smile every single time, driving in ('just too many lifelong memories involving hunting, swimming with friends, riding motorcycles, countless hours in tractor seats, camping out, etc. etc.) While there's a modest, modern cabin (small house) that comfortably sleeps 4 on the original tract, the latest comes with a larger house (c. 1980ish) and shop. The new place is completely cleaned and emptied out, awaiting either refurbishment to my tastes (as I'll retire there oneday) or renting out while the retirement home of my dreams is built on another parcel. It works out well, as my Mother stays at the farm on weekdays, and I come up on long weekends (often F-M.) She's almost 80 and walks about 15 miles per day!! (I often joke with her that she'll outlast her 3 boys, as 97-102 is the norm for her family. It is NOT in Dad's family.) Although it's secluded and private and over 1000 feet above two rivers below, it's not too too far from any necessities of life, and the NY state wine region and car racetracks are closeby. The local ambulance is a helicopter.
I tried to post a bunch of photos while dealing with brunch but it timed out. Although the places are cozy, it's the outdoor component that it's ALL about (except sitting by the fire on cold nights!) We did use Acacia wood in the flooring at the original place.

IMG_20230319_112252~2.jpg
IMG_20171202_104142532.jpg
IMG_20221030_100349~2.jpg
IMG_20211129_100253~2.jpg
IMG_20221119_153143~2.jpg
IMG_20210626_172208~2.jpg
IMG_20210724_111021~2.jpg
IMG_20220807_135706.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting topic, last year we sold a duplex in Colorado Springs (where we live) as I didn't want to own income property in a solid blue state (covid laws and rent) We wanted to buy a second home with the money away from the cold.

I came SOOOOO close to buying some land and very nice home in Kigali Rwanda but wound up buying a small 100 year home in a small Texas town on main street, walking distance from restaurants and coffee shops. I have made the home an escape decorated with all my Africa things and I absolutely love staying there. Its 1100 sq feet where our home in Colorado is 4500 but it feels comfortable and quiet and right in the middle of the state so I can get to concerts, shopping etc in decent time.

I am still considering a home in Africa as I spend about four months a year there but leaning towards lake Malawi now as its closer to hunting and my projects. I love Rwanda dearly however it really doesn't have the "Africa" feel anymore. We will see...

View attachment 523676View attachment 523677
Funny you should say that, Rwanda didn't impress me at all, in fact it gave me the creeps.
Botswana and Namibia sound like great African countries to settle in. Zimbabwe may yet come through if they sort their infrastructure out.

Funny you should say that, Rwanda didn't impress me at all, in fact it gave me the creeps.
Botswana and Namibia sound like great African countries to settle in. Zimbabwe may yet come through if they sort their infrastructure out.
It gave you the creeps because of past events? Or?

Interesting topic, last year we sold a duplex in Colorado Springs (where we live) as I didn't want to own income property in a solid blue state (covid laws and rent) We wanted to buy a second home with the money away from the cold.

I came SOOOOO close to buying some land and very nice home in Kigali Rwanda but wound up buying a small 100 year home in a small Texas town on main street, walking distance from restaurants and coffee shops. I have made the home an escape decorated with all my Africa things and I absolutely love staying there. Its 1100 sq feet where our home in Colorado is 4500 but it feels comfortable and quiet and right in the middle of the state so I can get to concerts, shopping etc in decent time.

I am still considering a home in Africa as I spend about four months a year there but leaning towards lake Malawi now as its closer to hunting and my projects. I love Rwanda dearly however it really doesn't have the "Africa" feel anymore. We will see...

View attachment 523676View attachment 523677
We’ve been looking for a while in the Durango area…at really the wrong time as prices sky rocketed. Then interest rates. Covid, blue also made me really think twice about something I never thought would’ve been a real concern but a lot changed the last few years, what is it about rent in CO that is a problem?

I looked at Canada and Spain. Heard the real estate market in Spain was reasonable but I couldn’t find much for existing homes with bigger rooms for taxidermy.

In Spain we have no restrictions on the import of trophies, as long as it has a CITES, it´s legal !

In Spain we have no restrictions on the import of trophies, as long as it has a CITES, it´s legal !
Yes, that’s why I was considering it. In 2019, I guided a very wealthy Dutch gentleman for brown bear and he recommended Spain.

We’ve been looking for a while in the Durango area…at really the wrong time as prices sky rocketed. Then interest rates. Covid, blue also made me really think twice about something I never thought would’ve been a real concern but a lot changed the last few years, what is it about rent in CO that is a problem?
Not to get into politics, and you may disagree with me, but Colorado is trying its hardest to beat California and being California, so tons of restrictions, and taxes and policies I am not thrilled to be apart of. This state used to be an sportsman paradise but slowly that is coming to an end being replaced by pot smoking tree hugger types.

Anyway, during covid, people just up and quit their jobs and sat around on unemployment, in some cases quit paying rent and the state would not allow landlords to evict, some didnt pay for over a year. We decided other than our home, this is not the state to own income property in, we have one commercial building left but slowly moving investments to Texas.

Not to get into politics, and you may disagree with me, but Colorado is trying its hardest to beat California and being California, so tons of restrictions, and taxes and policies I am not thrilled to be apart of. This state used to be an sportsman paradise but slowly that is coming to an end being replaced by pot smoking tree hugger types.

Anyway, during covid, people just up and quit their jobs and sat around on unemployment, in some cases quit paying rent and the state would not allow landlords to evict, some didnt pay for over a year. We decided other than our home, this is not the state to own income property in, we have one commercial building left but slowly moving investments to Texas.
Thanks. And that was my growing concern about CO. It really is sad how some ridiculous policies can ruin an incredible state. Our place would be for some income, so short term rentals, while we’re still working then likely a half time residence between there and here in Houston.

Thanks. And that was my growing concern about CO. It really is sad how some ridiculous policies can ruin an incredible state. Our place would be for some income, so short term rentals, while we’re still working then likely a half time residence between there and here in Houston.
I believe a VRBO or Air BNB would be a safe option, thats probably what we will do with out CO home when and if we can move back permanantly to Texas. There is nothing more refreshing than summer in Colorado :)

I believe a VRBO or Air BNB would be a safe option, thats probably what we will do with out CO home when and if we can move back permanantly to Texas. There is nothing more refreshing than summer in Colorado :)
Growing up in KS we knew CO for skiing but after visiting with our kids for summer to escape Houston heat that’s when we really fell in love with it.

Yes, that’s why I was considering it. In 2019, I guided a very wealthy Dutch gentleman for brown bear and he recommended Spain.
We truly love Spain and now have good friends there. I think Hemingway had it right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg