Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I am now officially planning for my trip (did I hear someone mumble "about f...'n time") lol.

The trip is a few years out (2017) but I have contacted Hunting Agent to make sure it goes as it should. What I am hoping I can get advice on is the list I should hunt - not from the trophy perspective but from the experience perspective. I would like to come home feeling like I have experienced Africa. From what I have read Cape Buffalo will do that but this trip will be plains game (30-06 to be used). If all goes well I will go back for Buffalo with a bigger and newer gun. I am planning on a 7 day hunt and then some other tourist type stuff.

I am wondering if there is a particular specifies that you feel epitomize the experience of hunting in Africa? In looking around this site I see some of this type of discussion but, your personal stories or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Pheroze

I guess a kudu, warthog, impala and bushbuck feels good. I think a lot of people would say add the blue wildebeest. You may not get the bushbuck, they can be hard to hunt at times.

Depending on your budget. Zebra, impala,gemsbok,blessbok,warthog,wildebeast an a kudu. Pick and choose, remember the taxidermy and shipping to include in your budget.

I do not think that I will ever hunt Africa without going after a #1 kudu or #2 bushbuck. They were the two that I most enjoyed on my first hunt there last year. Next year I will be going after a lion with a kudu and bushbuck on the list as well. Just a redneck from ND's opinion.

I was reading another thread about not brining the trophies home. I am thinking the experience is the thing as I do not particularly collect trophies. I may select one or two that will represent the trip. Perhaps a skin and a classical set of horns. I am most excited about being out in the field, smelling the air, feeling the heat and trying to close on some beast! Is there one or other that gave you a particular experience you reflect back on because of the challenge or the terrain?

warbird782, what what was it about those two that makes them special?

We saw what seemed like thousands of kudu but really hunted hard for the right one. In the hills of the Eastern Cape we would set up in position to glass like hunting mule deer out west. Not only was hunting them fun but they were amazing to eat. Try the liver! I have never eaten liver and enjoyed it until trying kudu liver. Kudu backstraps on the braai is to die for!

For bushbuck it was nothing but challenging to catch the right one out of cover. It was my last trophy and the hardest to get. These elusive little animals were just plain fun to walk all over the hills to find.

I guess Warbird and I think alike to me kudu and bushbuck hunting is the epitome of hunting. Love them! Bushbuck is so underrated! You really have to hunt them to appreciate them. The kudu is King.

awesome. Those hunts sound like great fun!

I hope you have a great time!

Thanks CAustin, it seems like is a huge undertaking but so exciting!

Go.

When you get on the truck the first morning as the sunrise is contemplating the start of your day, you will experience Africa.

When you get off the truck exhausted at the end of the day and a warm fire, good food, and good people to hear your stories are waiting, you will experience Africa.

Go.

Go.

When you get on the truck the first morning as the sunrise is contemplating the start of your day, you will experience Africa.

When you get off the truck exhausted at the end of the day and a warm fire, good food, and good people to hear your stories are waiting, you will experience Africa.

Go.

Pheroze - Just as Jfet writes, the most important thing is that you go. After your first trip, you probably won't think much about the species or country, but rather that you went hunting in Africa. Circumstances in life can change (medical problems, family, income) that may hinder your ability to take this hunt, so I think you should do it as soon as possible.

Pheroze it is a big undertaking. Your planning now will assure a great hunt and many memories. Be careful ......your going to get hooked

I would strongly urge you to add three days to that hunt. If you are going with a non-hunting spouse, that can be a driver, but seven days will pass quicker than you can imagine, and you will be jetlagged for three of them.

For a first time plainsgame hunt I always suggest, kudu, blue wildebeest, impala and warthog. For me they epitomize the African bushveldt. They don't have to be record book trophys, but they will leave lasting memories.
You will love Africa.

Some great responses on here already!

Definitely Kudu and Bushbuck ranked right up there for me... I really enjoyed my Eland hunt but that is more money and although you can get one with 30-06, it is pushing it. I got really lucky on my Kudu and had it quickly. The Kudu hunt could easily have been as exciting as the Eland was. My bushbuck is not huge, only 12", but he is an old ram and has beautiful markings. He is actually my favorite trophy and I am going a little farther on the mount. (stay tuned)

Springbuck and Impala are African classics as well. Like Kudu, you will see a lot of Impala but a truly good one is not as common. Springbuck can humble you as far as shooting skills, almost as much as Steenbuck. And be sure you shoot at some baboons! Maybe you can even hit one? That is VERY African.

A reasonable cost hunt with a great mix of animals could include a couple just a little over the $1000 point like Kudu and Gemsbok or Zebra, then a couple just under $1000 like Wildebeest (I would actually suggest the black as I find it to be showier and it is the "clown of Africa") and Bushbuck. Then mix in some lower cost critters. If in the right area Springbuck, and Impala seem to be everywhere so go for one of those. Wart Hog is economical and a classic... You could economically mount the tusks on a plaque. And a couple of the lower cost tiny ones like Duiker and Steenbuck, although they may require some luck. And go after a Mountain reedbuck, great hunt in the lower mountains, plentiful, economical, fun and in great scenery.

I would prioritize about 5 animals, but if you can be flexible you might want to have a list of 10 more possibles in mind. If you want, it should be reasonable to get 1 to 1.5 per day so 7 to 11 animals in 7 full hunting days. Kudu almost has to be one and just to have a really colorful/showy critter either Gemsbok or Zebra or both. If you want to have a challenge, definitely a bushbuck but also Duiker. And a big Warthog is hard to find. If you spend a couple days on Bushbuck like I did it may cut into your total and that is fine as you want the experience, but we were flexible enough to take other animals that presented opportunities so did harvest animals during those days. That is part of the African hunting experience as well!

All of the advice is greatly appreciated! This is getting very exciting very quickly and there is such a huge variety of animals to consider. Kudu and bushbuck seem to be recurring themes. All your impressions regarding which ones were challenging and the variety of terrain they are found really helps with the planning. Mountain Reedbuck introduce a great element(y). Oh Boy, it seems like whatever ones I choose will leave me feeling like I missed out on the ones I didn't .:LOL:

I would strongly urge you to add three days to that hunt. If you are going with a non-hunting spouse, that can be a driver, but seven days will pass quicker than you can imagine, and you will be jetlagged for three of them.

I am planning on going with my wife who does not hunt. I was thinking on adding a few extra days for tourist type trips or maybe even break up the hunt with side trips. I am considering starting with a day of a photo safari with the Mrs to familiarize and acclimatize and make sure she is settled in. Then do the major ones such as Kudu, Gemsbok, take a side trip and then finish off with bushbuck or a variety of economical critters to keep me busy, a last day with the Mrs for some great South African wine and then home:unsure:....oh wait....I think that is now a two week trip :rolleyes: ok back to the planning....

Pheroze, I to am planning my first trip to the dark continent. When I asked that question to the ph's I spoke to, they said, "What do you think of when someone says 'hunting Africa'? That is the quintessential hunting experience." Do you mean Teddy Roosevelt's Africa? Facing black death (cape buffalo) and coming out victorious? I have heard Botswana and Tanzania are closest to Ruugard and Hemingway's Africa. So, to answer your question- What do you want to do and shoot? I know- I got pissed when they told me thats the answer but its kinda nice. For me, I'm doing mostly walking (70%-30%) for kudu, gemsbok, warthog, blue wildebeast, maybe impala and zebra for my first time (Do I sound like a teenager dreamin about poppin the cherry and having no clue what its like?)
So there's my $.02
Tiss

A bushbuck is a glassing affair unless you luck into one. I did the first day of the hunt on the last hunt I was on. I saw the bushbuck but no one else could. Hindsight, I should have shot!!! He was hidden perfect, while trying to point the animal out, he saw us finally and left the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg