The humble 308 Win still a classic Bushveld caliber

MS 9x56

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
That old gun isn't worth the investment...she wasn't an expensive rifle or anything like that. Have also picked up an AR10 in a 338 Federal that's going to be used for hogs, maybe bears too. Getting a 308 barrel for my Merkel, it's just a great caliber and will be my go to for practicing at the range and hunting white tail. 300 win mag for elk or longer range hunts, the 9.3x62 for Alaska and Africa hunts. With those three barrels for the Merkel and the 338 Fed AR10, I've pretty much got all the hunting I do covered. Still want an R8 though and looking for the excuse to give my wife on why I "need" one :)
Even though I am a self professed 35 looney I will never be without a 308 in my gun cabinet.

crs

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
Pre 64 Winchester FW in .308 :
My first center fire rifle and still my go-to- rifle for all game but the biggest and baddest and I would use it then if needed. It just works!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
There are no flys on the .308 win, it will perform as well as a 30-06 with bullets up to 180 grs. on game, not ballistic BS perhaps...

Ive shot enough elk with my 99 Savage 308 and my 30-06s to feel confident in their ability to kill the big deer and Afriacan PG as well, even Eland as a matter of fact...I prefer the 99 when hunting horseback for deer and sage brush elk, the 30-06 otherwise..not to mention my Ruger #1-S in 338, its a neat saddle rifle for elk...but never felt undergunned with elk, all you have to do is place a proper bullet in the right spot, that makes a lot of calibers work.

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
There are no flys on the .308 win, it will perform as well as a 30-06 with bullets up to 180 grs. on game, not ballistic BS perhaps...

Ive shot enough elk with my 99 Savage 308 and my 30-06s to feel confident in their ability to kill the big deer and Afriacan PG as well, even Eland as a matter of fact...I prefer the 99 when hunting horseback for deer and sage brush elk, the 30-06 otherwise..not to mention my Ruger #1-S in 338, its a neat saddle rifle for elk...but never felt undergunned with elk, all you have to do is place a proper bullet in the right spot, that makes a lot of calibers work.
100%

RayAtkinson

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI Dallas
Hunted
RSA, Botswana, CAR, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Mozambique, Kenya way back when, and a few others that I can't remember.
Yes it is and it works anywhere, not just in the bushveld. I can make mine shoot flat as the 180 gr. 30-06, and that's all I need for a 300 or 400 yard shot...great caliber.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Enjoy the bush with Respect
20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings