www.flickr.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Carolina, South Africa
I love the artistry of hunting. The juxtaposition of game and machines is, without a doubt, the history of humankind. The fire of humanity that burns in each of us started when the first human flintknapped the first arrowhead. I hate that so many "enlightened" folks now let that fire die in them before it is ever given a chance to burn. They believe they are better off, I believe it makes them less human.

I love good taxidermy but it's difficult for a taxidermist to capture the clash of equipment and nature that is the basis of hunting so I turn to "prop shots" to try to re-strike those ancient chords that resonate every time I get to watch a sunrise afield or feel the jolt of life than runs through me when a whitetail first appears. I have never drawn on a cave wall but I feel the inspiration of everyone who ever has.

52163058446_575cf41821_b.jpg

50739663292_d164f15e28_b.jpg

51713408074_f108731e8e_b.jpg

44208787911_295d0c55db_b.jpg

51555865121_e7909b2272_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That was lovely, thank you

Beautiful pictures. Sometimes in South Africa I worry that I might lose my rifles, be it due to theft, or being disarmed.
Then those precious photos are the only memories that’s left of the times spent hunting with those rifles and shotguns, and of the game taken by them to last until your old age.

Nice post and pics. But what really impressed me most was the four ducks you got with three shots from your sweet sixteen (4th pic). Well done :D

We may have A/C, computers, and cars now but we still have more in common with the cave artist than most think. That is a good thing.

...what really impressed me most was the four ducks you got with three shots from your sweet sixteen (4th pic). Well done :D

Haha - thanks for noticing but that's not exactly what I was going for...

I have hunted ducks with doubles almost exclusively since 1984. I hunt alone so, since I get to pick when the first shot is fired, I like to think I've gotten pretty good at Scotch Doulbes (two birds with one shot). I pick my first shot when two birds in a flock cross as they decoy. I've done it quite a few times in my life. Anyway, my great Uncle lived to 95 years old outliving even his own son. Right before he passed he gave me his son's 1956 Sweet Sixteen. That gun has become my September Teal gun and the only non-double I ever shoot. The photo of the three birds and three shells on the right of the gun memorializes my first (and so far only) dead-in-the-air, one-shot-for-each-bird triple. The other bird on the left of the gun was just a single that I killed later that same morning. I picked Federal steel shot because they are the only company loading purple 16 gauge loads. When I was growing up, finding a pile of purple hulls always meant some was shooting a 16. Purple hulls will always mean a 16...

Doesn't matter 'what you were going for". Hopefully you accomplished it, but succeeded with it meaning many different things, to us all. Beautiful images not only in print, but in our minds as well. Thank you for posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg