The Helix Braodhead - Incredible penetration !!!!

Standing Bear

Reaction score
I thought I would let you guys know I have been testing the Helix broadhead using my 101# Athens Accomplice bow using Easton's 250 spine Dangerous Game Full Metal Jacket arrows.

I have to say, this broadhead came in first place in penetrating 1" of plywood. It is a single bevel broadhead and its design is simple and efficient.

Out of the top 5 Dangerous Game broadheads tested inclluding single bevel and double bevel, the Helix is the only one that consistently blew right through the plywood with no damage to any part of the broadhead. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind the Helix will do exceptionally well on Africa's largest of game.

Try one and you will see what I mean :) Happy hunting to all of you.

Well... one of the most massive blades released from a 101 lbs bow.... should do the trick with the plywood. No miracle. You don´t have to worry about anything with a setup like this.

But what does it, shot from a, let´s day 65# bow like mine, which is thorougly suitable for wildebeest, oryx or such with somewhat strong bones? I don´t get the point of that "spaceshuttle shape" of that blade.
With a not so strong bow as yours I fear that, by hitting a rib, or, worse, shoulder blade, it will easily get stuck and does not penetrate.

I would always prefer a blade with a slight concave shape, or at least straight edges, than a convex one. I used such blades and they all penetrated very, very well (Wildebeest, Impala, Warthog) even with a bow of under 60 lbs, and though hitting bones occasionally.

But, broadhead choice has some philosophical touch, I think... ask 10 people and you get 12 answers.

Apart from that I would be interested which other broadheads you did compare the helix to?

Sorry, meant I prefer convex or straight, not concave. Always seem to mix these two.

broadheads gallery

Have you tried the German kinetics? The dangerous game bow-hunters I know use them exclusively.

Thanking you guys for your input. Yes, I did do these same tests using two other bows, one that is set at 50 lbs, 27 inch arrow ( my wife was shooting her bow ) and my other bow set at 70 lbs using 28 inch Carbon Express Maxima KV's and the results were the same. The Helix was the only broadhead to out penetrate all others including the original SilverFlame 2 blade broadheads.

I must say I have been working as a consultant in the broadhead industry for a number of years now and my area of expertise is the development of heat treatment/croygenic and cycle tempering of broadhead steels. And after having gone through most of the serious 2 blade broadheads that are meant to be used in the "Dangerous Five" arena, the Helix come in at #1.

Just as FYI to those of us not in the broadhead business and lend some credibility to that claim, why would you use plywood for a test like this instead of some other dense media that would not allow full penetration by any head and measure depth of penatration instead of 'did it go through or not'?

Just as FYI to those of us not in the broadhead business and lend some credibility to that claim, why would you use plywood for a test like this instead of some other dense media that would not allow full penetration by any head and measure depth of penatration instead of 'did it go through or not'?

First of all, you have pretty amazing pictures of your African bowhunts and secondly, your right about finding another dense material that doesn't allow full penetration by any head with measured depths.

I will find one and document it and report back on this tread, a great idea !!!

First of all, you have pretty amazing pictures of your African bowhunts and secondly, your right about finding another dense material that doesn't allow full penetration by any head with measured depths.

I will find one and document it and report back on this tread, a great idea !!!

Actually those were taken by rifle but thanks.

I have only taken one animal with the Helix and it preformed flawlessly. I have had some injuries and for a time was forced to shoot lighter equipment for a while. I did a bit of research and found the Helix. Shooting a Gold Tip 3555 with a 100 grain insert and a 100 grain Helix shooting a 45# longbow (43#s at my draw length) from 29 paces, slightly quartering away; I blew though a 275/300# black bear. This is by know means conclusive but my penetration test in Rinehart Broadhead Target next to other double and single bevel cut on contact broadheads (Magnus Stingers, Silverflame, and Abowyer) led me to have great confidence in the head. Keep in mind that this arrow was in the 150ish feet per second range with a 490 grain arrow form a traditional longbow not a hyper speed set of wheels. The only thing that you must do to maximize efficiency and aide in the rotation is match the bevel and the fletch (right wing fletch right wing bevel or left wing fletch and left wing bevel). The helix by virtue of its rotation opens a massive wound channel and decreases the friction on the arrow shaft as it travels though the target (better penetration). The rotation makes for extremely stable flight and adds a bit of forgiveness for my not so perfect finger release.

This is only my experience and you guys that shoot massive equipment may have different results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.