The greatest compliment a hunter could get

cmc

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
cafesandcampfires.com
Media
at least I considered it the greatest the compliment. I think it was day five, my shooting was good, I was 6 for 6 and all one shot kills dead in their tracks. The tracker ask my wife what I do, she told him and asked why. He said I thought he was a professional hunter in America, my wife laughed hysterically and almost fell out of the truck. She said why would think that and the tracker says, he shoots as good as any guy I’ve seen come here and moves through the bush like he’s home. Later I asked him about this and he said, you move like one of us. That was awesome to hear but got me thinking, how bad are some of the hunters that go to Africa? He told me stories of three and four day tracks and hunters shooting animals everywhere but the vitals. I know it happens but it seems it happens a lot when people go to Africa. Is that true? Does africa get guys worked up and nervous and they can’t shoot or do some guys just have the money and go and don’t really do a lot of hunting?

re: your last sentence, yes. Nothing beats shooting practice and hunting experience.

I can only imagine the stories that could be told.

I know I have certainly gotten over excited and managed a bad shot or two.

Glad you got the job done. (Watch out for future regression toward the mean.)

Both you and Brickburn made a good point. Hunters as we define the term need to be good shots as well. That means knowing when not to take a low probability or wounding shot and the fortitude to pass on the shot.

I suspect that many of the people who go to Africa may get rattled by the shear number of animals. I also think that many of them have not hunted successfully much before going. Lack of experience. Then there is the same problem that happens at home in that they must have the latest and greatest (fad) equipment that they are not use to using. Last the improper bullet selection for what they are hunting.

I might add that my daughter was judged as the best female hunter they ever had. That made me feel good. She shot a number of animals from 135 to 410 yards all one shot and no tracking kills. They also said I was in the top 3 for male hunters with a couple of guys that spend a couple of weeks to a month each year. Made me feel good. I went back to hunt with them and spent a month there in 2017 hunting and doing other things non-hunting with the family. Really good people.

Last edited:
I have had a couple of PHs want me to take low percentage shots, so occasionally they also make some of the bad luck.

When a PH asks me if I want to come along as backup on a DG hunt, to me that is the highest compliment.

I’m not the shot I once was. For many years I could only afford a 22 rimfire, a Remy 870 and a Remy 700 in 30-06 and one in 22-250. I was a very good shot with all of them. The 870 I actually competed in sporting clays with an 84 average! I took an antelope, a mule deer and an elk almost every year. Plus I called, killed and sold coyote skins. Before big game season I would practice on jacket rabbits both long range (ie 535 yds my best) and jump shooting them with special 30-06 handloads.
Today I’m only an OK shooter. Usually one shot, but for elk I keep shooting until they’re down. I own way to many kinds of guns to be really good with any particular one. Probably best right now with my 375 H&H because I don’t want to lose an animal in Africa. I shoot 300-500 rounds a year with it. Mostly off sticks, roof pole to simulate a tree, prone for my croc hunt, sitting because it happens often, kneeling occasionally, or just testing loads. Working on offhand at 25-50 yards for my next Africa trip.

I’ve had PHes tell me Americans are usually much better shots than Europeans because we shoot a lot more.

That was quite a compliment!

I'll just throw in my two cents. First of all, that IS an awesome compliment and you should be proud of it. As to your other question I'll just say that the most experienced hunter can have a bad day. Africa was my first real hunt and even though I'd gone to the range enough to be on first-name-how's-the-family terms with the staff, doing everything up to an including printing out life-sized targets (from this site, it's an amazing resource) and taking them to the range with me I still got "buck fever" with my first animal and probably would have lost it if I hadn't hit it with a .375.

CMC,
you have just violated one of the seven deadly sins, you've bragged about your shooting. Most certainly, you will suffer the wrath of karma. :)

I just returned from 16 days in Tanzania, I shot relatively well. I made a piss poor shot on one of my primary animals, the East African Eland. I rushed, flinched, choked, whatever but shot him through the withers. Thanks to a remarkable tracking job by the entire team, (and a bit of luck) I collected my 4th and final Eland species. I also turned a difficult shot into a mess on a buffalo. thankfully we were able to follow him through the long grass for a couple hours and end things successfully, with no one worse for the wear. My PH's (Wayne Grant) response was simply, "Its all part of hunting"

As far as "How bad are some of us?" I imaging we do some pretty silly shit that give hours of entertainment. It sounds as though you've probably had some professional experience to receive such high praise.

Well done on your successful shooting.

I can think of no higher compliment than that given to you by the tracker, congrats

CMC,
you have just violated one of the seven deadly sins, you've bragged about your shooting. Most certainly, you will suffer the wrath of karma. :)
I get lucky a lot. Actually I do some culling on a ranch here in Texas so I just get more practice. Most any guy could shoot better if they got to shoot the amount of game I do. I’ll prolly go 0-12 on my next outing. :)

I would agree. I too do a lot of culling on a ranch here in Texas usually to the tune of 10+ deer a year not to mention deer and hogs to boot.

That said having just returned from Africa I can say the fever can still get you as I air balled my very first shot at an impala. From there I settled the nerves and went 6 for 6 with no tracking needed. Three were DRT and the other 3 traveled less than
30 yards. I did stick a just in case second shot in my gemsbok that was not needed.

I can say that one needs plenty of practice off of sticks standing as it is different than 95 % of my shooting here which is either prone, sitting from sticks or out of a blind.

I really believe this lack of familiarity with the style of shooting and rest can make or break the shooting on a hunt

Reactions: cmc
I would agree. I too do a lot of culling on a ranch here in Texas usually to the tune of 10+ deer a year not to mention deer and hogs to boot.

That said having just returned from Africa I can say the fever can still get you as I air balled my very first shot at an impala. From there I settled the nerves and went 6 for 6 with no tracking needed. Three were DRT and the other 3 traveled less than
30 yards. I did stick a just in case second shot in my gemsbok that was not needed.

I can say that one needs plenty of practice off of sticks standing as it is different than 95 % of my shooting here which is either prone, sitting from sticks or out of a blind.

I really believe this lack of familiarity with the style of shooting and rest can make or break the shooting on a hunt
We gots lots shooting this year. They flew the ranch Friday we have to shoot 80 this year.

Cmc, please clarify your last post, somehow I'm missing something.

Cmc, please clarify your last post, somehow I'm missing something.
Sorry, biologist fly over the ranch in a helicopter and take a count of the deer in the area to determine how many need to be taken to keep the population in control. Our bioligist determined we need to shoot 80 whitetail this year. Which is down from our 120 average but still a lot of shooting.

Thanks, that explains it fully. Do you need any help?;);)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross