The Grayling by Von Gruff

The refuge I work for... we have some phenomenal grayling on many of the rivers. I take HS kids out for a summer float camp. We routinely catch 20+ inch grayling. Here's one caught by my oldest daughter a few years back; it was just shy of 20 but was her first fish on a fly rod.
That is an awesome grayling! Any grayling over 20" or 3 lbs is a monster. And yes, they are a blast to catch, even the small ones are tons of fun.

The refuge I work for... we have some phenomenal grayling on many of the rivers. I take HS kids out for a summer float camp. We routinely catch 20+ inch grayling. Here's one caught by my oldest daughter a few years back; it was just shy of 20 but was her first fish on a fly rod.
Whats you favorite way to cook them?

For me its butter and onions. IMO the best is fresh, stuffed with onions, butter, wrapped in foil in the fire. Occasionally I will filet them and fry them in a pan on top of onions and butter.
I have cooked small ones in the fry pan whole with the fins trimmed off, stuffed with onions, but much prefer them in foil in the fire coals.

Whats you favorite way to cook them?

For me its butter and onions. IMO the best is fresh, stuffed with onions, butter, wrapped in foil in the fire. Occasionally I will filet them and fry them in a pan on top of onions and butter.
I have cooked small ones in the fry pan whole with the fins trimmed off, stuffed with onions, but much prefer them in foil in the fire coals.
Confession? I don't eat them... or trout (we have monster rainbows - 25-30" )... or (gasp!) salmon. I never developed a taste for any of them. I grew up in Kansas. I like white, flakey fish, so here that's halibut or pike. Everything else, for me, is catch and release. Mostly what I eat is moose and caribou. The fish though... my little corner of the world and my employer... our rivers are remote and hard to get to. Frankly, the fishing is often obscene, in numbers and size. I am incredibly blessed and smart enough to know it.

That is an awesome grayling! Any grayling over 20" or 3 lbs is a monster. And yes, they are a blast to catch, even the small ones are tons of fun.
I have a little Diawa pack rod I have had forever (spinning tackle). I usually run it with 6 pound line and it is a hoot on small rivers for grayling and Dollies. I have even managed one 36" hen king and last year caught several spawning silvers.

This brings back memories. I worked for my uncle during the summers in Juneau & Skagway Alaska as a teenager in the 60's. We used to have the train between Skagway and Whitehorse drop us off in along the border in B.C. and fish for Grayling. It is one of my favorite memories. They are fun to catch and delicious.

Confession? I don't eat them... or trout (we have monster rainbows - 25-30" )... or (gasp!) salmon. I never developed a taste for any of them. I grew up in Kansas. I like white, flakey fish, so here that's halibut or pike. Everything else, for me, is catch and release. Mostly what I eat is moose and caribou. The fish though... my little corner of the world and my employer... our rivers are remote and hard to get to. Frankly, the fishing is often obscene, in numbers and size. I am incredibly blessed and smart enough to know it.
Thanks ( I think ). Here in Eastern Australia I've caught rainbows up to 10lbs but they are rare.

My picture was of a gaspereau found here in eastern Canada which appears remarkably similar to your grayling.
I've since done a bit of a readup on the gaspereau, and their lifestyle is very similar to the spawning runs of Chinooks (NZ Quinnat) on the east coast of New Zealand's south island. Not just the Chinooks but also large sea-run trout. Interesting.

I've since done a bit of a readup on the gaspereau, and their lifestyle is very similar to the spawning runs of Chinooks (NZ Quinnat) on the east coast of New Zealand's south island. Not just the Chinooks but also large sea-run trout. Interesting.
Sea trout chase the gaspereau up the runs here. There a really trophy if one can be caught.

Thanks ( I think ). Here in Eastern Australia I've caught rainbows up to 10lbs but they are rare.
@Cervus elaphas
You need to change fishing spots. I've seen a 17 pounder caught out of the river near Jones bridge in Tumut
Bob

@Cervus elaphas
You need to change fishing spots. I've seen a 17 pounder caught out of the river near Jones bridge in Tumut
Bob
I've fished the Tumut river and those are tiddlers Bob. Here's some really big trout from where I fish in NZ
big Otago trout 2.jpg
big Otago trout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Von Gruff Grayling #1 arrived today complete with authentication card. What a cool little knife. Thanks Garry!

IMG_5843.jpeg
IMG_5845.jpeg

Beautiful.

Congratulations!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.