The grandkid's gun

You might enjoy talking to Gizmo about a cull doe hunt. My granddaughter really had an excellent time on her first big game hunt there. I highly recommend it!

Here is the latest installment of the grandkid's gun:

Yesterday my son 9 year old son Trip and I took his 6.5x55 to the range in preperation for the upcomming youth hunt in Michigan with his Opa (grandfather) @Shootist43. Up until this point we have been practicing with his BB gun and doing dry fire drill with his Sweede. Based on the attached target all that practice and training is paying off in a big way, here is Trip's 15 shot group at 50 yards using 140 grain Federal fusion ammunition. Next week Trip and I are heading to Michigan for a week to plant our fall food plots and work on the hunting property with Opa, hopefully we can work in a trip to the local range for some more practice.

20200730_150016.jpg

Yesterday my son 9 year old son Trip and I took his 6.5x55 to the range in preperation for the upcomming youth hunt in Michigan with his Opa (grandfather) @Shootist43. Up until this point we have been practicing with his BB gun and doing dry fire drill with his Sweede. Based on the attached target all that practice and training is paying off in a big way, here is Trip's 15 shot group at 50 yards using 140 grain Federal fusion ammunition. Next week Trip and I are heading to Michigan for a week to plant our fall food plots and work on the hunting property with Opa, hopefully we can work in a trip to the local range for some more practice.

View attachment 360434

I'd say that will do!

Excellent! Grandpa you’re a good teacher for sure!

Great job Trip.

Those of you that have been around a while have no doubt read about my fascination with the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser and the fact that I've purchased one for each of my grandkids. A couple of years ago Michigan changed its' laws regarding youth hunters. Now youngsters 10 years of age can hunt under the immediate supervision of an adult. The problem with the gun however is its' overall size. The solution was to get the barrel and stock shortened. To further reduce recoil I had a muzzle brake installed. However when my 8 year old grandson tried it on for fit, the wrist was way to large for his small hands. I got a hold of Von Gruff and asked him how to reduce the wrist from 6 &1/2 inches in diameter to something a kid could handle. I chickened out and bought a Boyd Thumbhole Featherweight Laminated stock with a 12& 3/4" LOP. Boyd has a caveat stating some final fitting would be required. That proved to be an understatement. The Timney safety (on the side like Winchesters etc.) took me about 5 hours to inlet. The bottom metal required additional work as well. It took me about 3 hours of careful filing, chiseling and sanding but the end result is something I can live with. Sorry for the poor quality photos, cheap camera.

View attachment 260363 View attachment 260364 View attachment 260365
@Shootist43
Looks good Art the grandkids will be happy with that. Don't forget to give them a good set of ear muffs with each rifle t as the muzzle brake tends to get a tad noisy.
Do Hornaday do a 112grain SST in 6.5 for a nice whitetail bullet.
Bob

What !?!?!? You are saddling another poor innocent kid with an antiquated, obsolete, bad caliber good for nothing, when you could have been enlightened and given him an infinitely superior, modern, brand new design, superior ballistics, latest technology 6.5 Creedmoor! Argh, shame on you Art! LOL

+1 on the old Swede and +1 on getting the next generation into shooting & hunting. The bottom inletting is looking good. How much does the entire rig weigh?

My first grand kit is still too young (2 year old), but the rifle his Mom learned on is waiting for him...
@ One Day
The good old Swede will do everything the crudmore will do and doesn't need to prove its credentials
I am disappointed that you would inflict a cartridge that is to big for small game and to small for medium game on your poor grandchildren. The 243 has proven for years that is not a real cartridge.
Nice rifle but take the barrel off use it for a tomato stake and put a 250 Savage barrel on it. Better caliber and proven itself without the advertising crap that Winchester had us believe.
Bob

@CAustin that would be the plan, we are trying to convince @Shootist43 that he needs to hunt Mr Spots and Trip could shoot the bait for him. That sounds like a perfect Grandfather / Grandson hunt to me but so far Shootist43 is not seeing our vision.
@ Art Lambert 11
Don't forget you will have to go to. That will be 3 generations that can bond and make it really special.
Bob

I am anxiously awaiting those three generation hunts. Before even considering the "vision" mentioned above Trip needs a little more time to develop his shooting skills, which I am 100% positive he will do. There will be stateside hunts for sure, probably limited to hogs and deer. At the moment we are looking into the possibility of taking Trip to Argentina next year on our hunt for Red Stag but most likely he will be an observer. Trip has been bowhunting with us for three years as an observer so he isn't a neophyte in that respect. In short a three generation African hunt isn't out of the question but in reality will be a few years from now.
@Shootist43
By then Art you won't have to worry about his shooting he will probably outshoot both of you by then.
Bob

View attachment 360434
@Art Lambert 11
That good shooting for a young fella. He will be out shooting you and opa soon.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois