The Gerenuk Africa’s Gawky Oddball

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles

Africa boasts an impressive collection of over 70 antelope species. Some, like sable and gemsbok, are stately and proud. Others, like Impala and Springbok, are elegant and graceful. Bongo, Kudu, and Nyala are drop-dead gorgeous, and the little duikers are indisputably cute. And then there is the Gerenuk…

The Basics

It’s probably somewhat unfair to label the Gerenuk (Litocranius walleri) strange or weird-looking. After all, we are perfectly happy to accept a five-ton animal with a prehensile nose or one that stands over four meters tall and has a purple tongue. Perhaps it is simply a matter of exposure – gerenuk very seldom has a starring role in nature documentaries, nor do they feature heavily in artistic photographs of Africa’s wildlife in all its glory. Yet, there is something captivating about the gerenuk that draws the eye and makes it difficult to look away. They are, for want of a better word, goofy.

Gerenuk seems, for all the world, as though some cosmic power took hold of an impala and stretched it vertically without adding any proportional width. Their necks are absurdly long, and this, combined with the unique ability to balance on slender hind legs unsupported, allows them to feed at heights of over two meters. To complete this bizarre image, they have disproportionately small heads, which only serve to make their eyes look enormous.

Screenshot_59.jpg

A neat animal that I will pursue in September.

Gerenuk is my African favorite meat to eat .

Love those ears.

I find them fascinating. As goofy looking as a Llama :D

They can only be hunted in Tanzania right?

56CAB596-8A98-4DA6-8F27-C9704F4C919C.jpeg
Cool animals. One of my top 2 I wanted in Tanzania last year…
Bruce

I find them fascinating. As goofy looking as a Llama :D

They can only be hunted in Tanzania right?
Though the current annual quota is very low, they can also be hunted in Ethiopia.
SCI calls the Ethiopian subspecies "Northern Gerenuk" (though they are pretty much the same animal as found in Kenya and Tanzania).

My first in Ethiopia, self-guided . .

IMG_1987.JPG

And second . . .

Northern Gerenuk Awash.jpg

Interesting animal . . a strict browser, they do NOT drink water, and obtain all their hydration requirements from the leaves they eat. So they have no requirement to live within X miles of water, and can inhabit vast areas of very dry acacia scrub / desert.
They are also the finest game meat on the continent, even better than eland in my opinion.

Those are awesome! Love how unique they are and not wide spread.

Though the current annual quota is very low, they can also be hunted in Ethiopia.
SCI calls the Ethiopian subspecies "Northern Gerenuk" (though they are pretty much the same animal as found in Kenya and Tanzania).

View attachment 463924

And second . . .

View attachment 463925

Interesting animal . . a strict browser, they do NOT drink water, and obtain all their hydration requirements from the leaves they eat. So they have no requirement to live within X miles of water, and can inhabit vast areas of very dry acacia scrub / desert.
They are also the finest game meat on the continent, even better than eland in my opinion.
Now I really want to taste some...

I do not understand why all these antelope are not bred worldwide for their meat. Even if just for specialty restaurants. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb starts to get old after a while...

Wo

View attachment 463924

And second . . .

View attachment 463925

Wow, both great but that second one is huge! Mine from TZ in 2017 wasn’t that big. Congrats!

Now I really want to taste some...

I do not understand why all these antelope are not bred worldwide for their meat. Even if just for specialty restaurants. Beef, pork, chicken, lamb starts to get old after a while...
Yeah, they should be part of the game available on the game farms in RSA? They have scimitar horned oryx and different colored wildebeest, impala, etc., so why not these?

Last edited:
Very interesting animal

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you