The Gaur Which Ended A Shikar Career

VERY sad but compelling story.. very well told! Thanks for sharing. Your report on the 458 is outstanding. I truly admire my 458 Win Mag, but obviously in modern day, we get to use the best ammo available. I have had NO regrets/ issues with many buff and 3x ellies hunted with my 458.

VERY sad but compelling story.. very well told! Thanks for sharing. Your report on the 458 is outstanding. I truly admire my 458 Win Mag, but obviously in modern day, we get to use the best ammo available. I have had NO regrets/ issues with many buff and 3x ellies hunted with my 458.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Bruce . I have written a much of fair assessment of the .458 Winchester magnum cartridge , here .
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...magnum-i-a-fair-assessment.58167/#post-682263
Perhaps , it may interest you ?

Absolutely fantastic write up on one of my favorite animals that I would truly love to hunt !

Two dream hunts Tiger & Gaur !!!

Very sorry you had to witness that happening to your friend & by the sounds of it you handled it all very well with the great 16ga ball gun.

I have a Tolley 3in 12bore rifle nearly 15lbs & made for a Maharaja, have been meaning to take a Water Buff or two when I worked on the Aussie Buffalo but now I'm in Africa I'm not too keen to travel with it .

Great also that other Shikar Professionals posted on this tread, I wish we could have more story's about the early days from you all please ?

I was tossed myself & charged more than once by Banteng Bulls the Gaur's much smaller (but as mean) cousin when I was hunting & guiding on them back in the day .

Thank you again for the post !

@Sarg
i noticed in your profile with great interest that you have experienced hunting in Sumatra, Kenya, Hokkaido, and New Caledonia.
Quite an experience!
Those places are quite away from hunters beaten path!

If you could share some hunting stories from there, it would be highly appreciated, not only from me, but I believe, from the rest of forum as well!!

I truly enjoy real life stories of places I’ve never hunted. It’s so nice to get the real truth from someone who lived it. Your style is honest and brutal but what in life isn’t? Glad your partner survived, many don’t. Thank you. Jacques

Another fine piece of storytelling by one who experienced hunting that most of us can only dream of. A very sad turn of events but told with directness and character, for which we are all appreciative.
Sorry I missed this somehow last year, we really enjoy these stories!

Tonight with all of my dear readers , l am going to relate a story of an extremely dark day in my career as a professional shikaree in Nagpur , India from 1961 to 1970 . In all probability , it was the darkest day in my shikaree career. This is the story of the gaur which ended my best friend , Tobin Stakkatz's career as a professional shikaree . A little word of warning is imperative here . This story is a little graphic and depressing , so reader discretion is advised .
Let us go back now to 1969.

Below , l have provided a photograph taken by myself of a gaur killed by Tobin and l . However , the gaur in the photograph is not the brute which features in this article .
View attachment 323497

Somehow, I missed this story when originally posted. Glad I finally found it. Major, your story-telling is top notch. Wish you could write them all up and get them published. If you ever do, please let me know. I'll definitely buy an autographed copy. Thanks for all you do to keep the old days alive.

Somehow, I missed this story when originally posted. Glad I finally found it. Major, your story-telling is top notch. Wish you could write them all up and get them published. If you ever do, please let me know. I'll definitely buy an autographed copy. Thanks for all you do to keep the old days alive.

Unfortunately, major khan, and almost all other friends from Bangladesh hunting community are no longer active on forum.
I understand that some of them faced some internet harassment from indian anti hunting groups, so they stopped writing here.

Unfortunately, major khan, and almost all other friends from Bangladesh hunting community are no longer active on forum.
I understand that some of them faced some internet harassment from indian anti hunting groups, so they stopped writing here.
The excerpts from the books the stories were taken from and photos from those books that were posted seem to be the real cause. The stories immediately stopped. Hopefully there was some truth.

I was less interested in the reports.

In direct discussion with him he seems to have understood something about weapons and calibers. When he spoke about the working of cartridges and bullets that I know and with I have also hunted big game, a lot was right.

Sure, you can tell a lot on a Forum and make it seem credible.

Yes its a awful and sad arazis can bully people world around to stop them from posting truths and tales about our historical and common legacy areas of feverish night dreams about shikariis.

I’m going to try saying this as fairly and uncontroversially as possible. Both out of respect to the former members of this forum and also to the Indian members of this forum. I also don’t want to share any of my personal opinions on this subject. I come here for recreation. Not to get into conflicts. We already have enough of those in our lives, back home. So I’ll just write facts without making any personal opinions.

I also served in the Indo-Pak war in ‘71 and I met the Major more than a few times over the years, especially when I was the DFO of the Sundarbans until ‘89. I first met him in ‘72, so I can’t comment on his life in India before the war (when he claims that he used to be a professional hunter). Maybe it’s true, maybe it’s partially true, maybe all of it was a lie. I do know that he became a highly decorated officer and received three military awards for his wartime actions of extreme valor. He got shot in the face during the war and lost part of his tongue. I didn’t serve with him, so I can’t actually vouch for what happened. But by all accounts, he got wounded while trying to save his men.

I can vouch that (based on what I saw) he’s a great shot and a very competent hunter (of deer, boars, birds and leopards). He gave me advice regarding leopard hunting, which I later put to very good use on my African safaris. So I know that at the very least, he at least shot a lot of leopards in India.

I don’t know if the photos he posted here are all his own photos. So I can’t comment on that. But what I’ll say is that if a person is once caught trying to pass off another man’s hunting accomplishments on his own, then it’s understandable why some people might call into question ALL of his claims.

I can’t vouch for his skills in tiger hunting. In ‘89, he was originally one of the thirty men who accompanied a Brigadier General to hunt down a man eating Royal Bengal tiger in the Sundarbans. I loaned them our forest department launch and also forest department employees and guides, to make their expedition easier. They made two expeditions into the Sundarbans to hunt down that man eater … each time staying for ten days. They didn’t succeed and eventually I had to go back there and try my hand at it (because I had already managed to previously shoot and kill two man eating Sundarban tigers). I succeeded in killing him with my 7x57mm Mauser, and this was the last of the only four man eating Royal Bengal tigers to be legally hunted in that country after ‘71. But I wouldn’t question the Major’s credibility because of his failure to hunt down that tiger. Without going too much off topic, the reason they failed to hunt down that man eater was because they were using techniques employed for hunting Indian tigers (which would make sense, because the Major claimed to be a professional hunter in India). The techniques were useless when hunting a tiger in the Sundarbans. The Major is responsible for something very terrible occurring during that hunt, but more on that later.

The Major and I initially had a very abrasive relationship, because he was physically and verbally abusive towards my staff … something which I had zero tolerance for. He was also initially very condescending towards me because my mother is Pakistani. Later, we buried the hatchet years later even though we never became buddies. There are some things the Major and I never saw eye to eye on.

He was always very outspoken about some of his actions during the war (which while perfectly justified and necessary, are not things one gloats about) and I always thought that these are the sort of things which one should never talk about after they’re over. People do horrible things to win a war, but after it’s over you keep quiet about it and move on with your life. The way he talked about his wartime actions (some in particular) also caused a lot of problems in his personal life (don’t ask because I won’t go there).

By the time I joined these forums, Major already stopped posting here. But I read a few of his articles and I have mixed feelings about them. They were very thrilling (and whatever he claims DOES corroborate with what I know about the pre ‘72 hunting scene in India), but he was constantly criticizing India and even wrote about some of his wartime actions on these forums. I understand his sentiment. Imagine living in a hunting haven and then going to a war and getting disfigured. After coming back, you realize that the thing which meant the world to you (hunting) is now gone. I get it. But if someone constantly writes negative things about a country in his articles ON AN OPEN FORUM ON THE INTERNET, it’s only predictable that eventually people would start getting pissed off and start harassing him here (whether or not his claims were true is besides the point). I served in a war and when I was the DFO of the Sundarbans, I made several campaigns against pirates/drug smugglers/poachers to eradicate them from the area (as per government orders). But I keep quiet about that part of my life. I came on these forums to enjoy discussing hunting and firearms. I don’t want to talk about killing people. I don’t even talk about that with my parents or children.

The Major is ironically the reason why ”Kill-Orders” for man eating Royal Bengal tigers in the Sundarbans stopped being issued by the Ministry of Forests after 1989. When he and the Brigadier General went to the Sundarbans to hunt down the Man Eater of Atharobeki, they massacred 5 Royal Bengal tigers… none of whom were the man eater in question. 1 male tiger, 3 tigresses (1 of whom was pregnant) & 1 sub-grown cub. The news eventually got leaked to the media (because of the Major's "Boasts") and the stupid anti hunting masses publicly rioted outside the Ministry of Forests until Chief Conservator of Forests Noor Uz Zaman publicly declared never to issue another ”Kill-Order” ever again after the Man Eater of Atharobeki would be dispatched. Then, I had to step in and got the man eater on the existing “Kill Order”.

You can read an edited version of the story here (with the sensitive parts omitted out).

Last edited:
Did I read once that Tobin Stakkatz wrote a book on Indian hunting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!