The "eyes" have it

fourfive8

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
I am not a taxidermist but have had a few things mounted over the years- from mountain sheep to mule deer to brown bears. And for the last quite a few years nothing but skull mounts done.... except for a nice kudu that I was "forced" to have shoulder mounted. It just arrived after a couple of years of great fear and anticipation. IMO, it actually turned out well and am very pleased. The first thing I checked were the eyes. I saw "expression".

Aside from the basics, like skin/cape care, correct form size, correct skin prep, etc., I was told long ago by a very talented taxidermist that the eyes can make or break any mount. I have come to realize he was right. If you look at the face and eyes and there is no "expression" it's just not right. Here's a few pics from wide shots to tight shots showing the eyes and hopefully the "expression" in my last kudu. BTW likely the last animal I'll ever have done as my big game hunting days are nearing an end.

The "wall".png
K face tight.png

Kudu face .JPG

K left eye tight.JPG

Certainly a Kudu worthy of mounting.

I am so happy that you have had good luck with your mounts.

I on the other hand have had no luck at all because they never seemed to be what I wanted and a big standing brown bear mount, who when he was alive was so pissed off at my very exsistance that at 50 yards stood up on his hind legs, made psychotic bear noises while shaking his head, and making them pro wrestler moves with his paws showing how he was going to lift me up, pull out my full piss bag, make me drink the contents before he'd put me out of my misery. What I got back was a giant Teddy Ruckspin with bulging crossed eyes, posed like he was ready to do the cha-cha with Lola Falana and a grin on his face that my brothers from Texas and Alabama made him look like he was gay.

After that I went for just bone and horn mounts that eventually get very old and boring.

The bear went to the one daughter with a 12'foyer and he gets dressed for all holidays....though he still looks like a great big cross eyed queer no matter what you do with him.

Best of luck.

Dang Von, that was funny!

Yes, that is funny and sad and unfortunately common! Something similar happened to me about 50 years ago with a pronghorn. Not a big loss really, but it made me very cautious about taxidermy and taxidermists.

Looks great! Congrats!

Certainly a Kudu worthy of mounting.
Yes, 63 1/4” kind of forced the issue and one of the reasons for the apprehension until I could take possession and inspect it.

Very nice Kudu, and yes, you are right it is all about expression. Specially with cats, it´s hard to see good cat taxidermy, most look very odd.

You are sooooo right. The expression and eye set are the realism of a piece.
005_zps1kkyyzsf.jpg

010_zpsi9v0vfqu.jpg

Hey , that's one NASTY LION.
NYATI you'll like this.....

DSCN8049_zpsmevtzzvh.jpg

DSCN8074_zpsr2lsmby0.jpg

Attachments

• 005_zps1kkyyzsf.jpg
    005_zps1kkyyzsf.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 010_zpsi9v0vfqu.jpg
    010_zpsi9v0vfqu.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN8049_zpsmevtzzvh.jpg
    DSCN8049_zpsmevtzzvh.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 159
  • DSCN8074_zpsr2lsmby0.jpg
    DSCN8074_zpsr2lsmby0.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah,it's all in the eyes...I have been fortunate with all my mounts that they have turned out very kifelike.
Another aspect is the MOUTH...a lot of taxuderTa fallsshort onthe mouth...particularly lion mounts!!
I have seen some awesome lions destroyed by having a non lifelike mouth!!
FANTASTIC kudu, BTW, and would have been sacriledge not to have mounted him

Excellent kudu congrats. He does look very very good. Dennis the eyes look great on the Kudu picture. Probably the most life like kudu I ve ever seen.

Looks great and congrats!

458, sorry to hear u r even thinking about calling it quits but that holy grail kudu is amazing. Fully agree about the eyes

I am not a taxidermist but have had a few things mounted over the years- from mountain sheep to mule deer to brown bears. And for the last quite a few years nothing but skull mounts done.... except for a nice kudu that I was "forced" to have shoulder mounted. It just arrived after a couple of years of great fear and anticipation. IMO, it actually turned out well and am very pleased. The first thing I checked were the eyes. I saw "expression".

Aside from the basics, like skin/cape care, correct form size, correct skin prep, etc., I was told long ago by a very talented taxidermist that the eyes can make or break any mount. I have come to realize he was right. If you look at the face and eyes and there is no "expression" it's just not right. Here's a few pics from wide shots to tight shots showing the eyes and hopefully the "expression" in my last kudu. BTW likely the last animal I'll ever have done as my big game hunting days are nearing an end.

View attachment 264589 View attachment 264591
View attachment 264597
View attachment 264598
That look great.

Beautiful kudu FourFive8!!! You are absolutely correct that the eyes make the mount.
Sorry to hear that your hunting days are about over. Looking at where you’ve hunted, you’ve had a heck of a hunting career with lots of great memories. That kudu is an incredible final chapter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross