The Double Barrel, Bolt Action Rifle

Tom Hawk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
https://www.range365.com/double-barrel-bolt-action-rifle
The Double-Barrel, Bolt Action Rifle
The motivation for the man who designed it? Being charged by three elephants simultaneously.

By David Maccar January 24, 2017

The motivation for the man who designed it? Being charged by three elephants simultaneously.

mfg photo

High-powered, double-barreled rifles have been the choice of dangerous game hunters for ages, for some very simple reasons: they’re easy to maintain and operate, are very reliable, and they’re able to be chambered for the kind of elephant-killing caliber loads like .458 Win Mag or .375 H&H, that just don’t work in a semiautomatic. Therein lies the conundrum. By going with a break-action gun, a hunter is limited to two shots before needing to reload. And if you need a third shot while hunting dangerous game, you’re probably in a situation that doesn’t allow for a shell-by-shell reload.

This post from revivaler.com showcases a solution to this problem that you’ve likely never seen before: a double-barrel bolt action rifle.

A company called Fuchs & Szecsei produces several versions of the concept, which was borne from a hunting experience. In 1989 Hungarian Joseph Szecsei was charged by three elephants, according to the post. He survived, and decided that a double rifle or even a good bolt action isn’t enough when the world’s most dangerous is running you down.

He set out to design a rifle with all the advantages of a double rifle, and of a bolt gun with a rapidly accessible magazine. The result was the bolt action double rifle.

But certainly semi-autos could be designed to handle the dangerous game cartridges, and some have been, but they’re complicated. They require a gas system and a fairly clean works to run perfectly—but more importantly, semi-autos are illegal for hunting in many places around the world.

The bolt and double magazine from the company's .17 HMR bolt action double rifle.

mfg photo

The post says that, to keep the weight down on the sizable firearm, the manufacturer made extensive use of titanium in the construction, allowing for a double magazine and a double-sized bolt action while keeping the gun handy and controllable.

The rifle comes in both side by side and over/under configurations and in calibers ranging from .470 Capstick down through the .416 Remington Magnum and .375 Holland & Holland Magnum for African and Asian safaris. Calibers then drop to include the European 9.3 x 62mm, 8 x 68S, and the old standby American .30/06 all the way down to the diminutive .17 HMR rimfire.

Each manipulation of the bolt chambers a round from each stack of the double box magazine. It then shoots like a normal double gun, with a separate trigger for each barrel. Once both barrels are fired, the bolt is opened and pulled back, ejecting the spent casings from both sides of the gun at the same time before two more rounds are chambered.

The smallest double bolt gun is the Hummingbird in .17 HMR, which could be a great small game gun.

Fuchs also makes regular double-barrel rifles, bolt action rifles, and double shotguns. One of their heaviest hitters is the Fuchs King of Africa, a double gun chambered for .577 Nitro Express, which will almost guarantee a stop of just about anything with two 750-grain bullets.

The guns don’t come cheap…actually you have to contact Fuchs just to get a quote, so these are more than just hunting arms, they’re works of art and investments for future generations.

You can see all their models here.

The company makes side-by-side and over/under double barrel bolt action rifles.

mfg photo

So, what are your thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BWH

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
A toy for the very rich, this thing must be very clumsy to handle.

mrpoindexter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, NFAA
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, UAE, California
If I was going to shoot 3+ rounds of .416 Rigby inside of 10 seconds, I would want a very heavy rifle to help absorb the recoil. And maybe a back brace for afterwards...

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
A company called Fuchs & Szecsei produces several versions of the concept,
I believe they would Fuchs you right out of a lot of money!

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Do they make one with a bolt handle and front sight that are not obviously designed by a 12 year old pimp?

Yikes

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
Sure is beautiful & super cool... interested in pricing

Pondoro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Norway, Sweden, Namibia and Botswana
Looks like a mega - pimped Blaser to me...:sneaky:

spike.t

Sponsor
Since 2013
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.takerireservezambia.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci int, basc,wpaz
Hunted
zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe,Mozambique ,hungary, france, england

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Does it come in a left hand version?????? :E Happy:

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
Does it come in a three barrel version?????? :E Happy:

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
If the main reason was to have access to three quick shots it seems to me that a 3 barrel drilling might be the better way to go.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Do they make one with a bolt handle and front sight that are not obviously designed by a 12 year old pimp?

Yikes
More importantly, do they make a left hand version?

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)

Tom Hawk

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles

Yikes
Wait is the pimp been a pimp for 12 years or is the supposed pimp actually 12 years old?

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
I heard $30k.... seriously?!?!?

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Wait is the pimp been a pimp for 12 years or is the supposed pimp actually 12 years old?
He's a precocious pimp!

Only 12!

But has not had time to develop good taste!

:)

Fred Gunner

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
A toy for the very rich, this thing must be very clumsy to handle.
The Jam-O-Matic by Blamo… That’s right fellow Sportsmen yes you too can sell a kidney to a Chinese Billionaire and buy a rifle guaranteed to double feed a jam each and every hunt…Hurry and buy today?!

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Sugar4646 wrote on Warpig602's profile.
Hey boss wanted to inquire about the .308 rifle you have for sell can you send me payment information. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.
Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol