Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
I had a phone call recently with a man who was absolutely irate about the way he’s been treated by taxidermists. It’s a common complaint – despite multiple phone calls and reassurances and promises about a six-month completion date, his hides are sitting another year at least. And that’s not the exception – it’s the rule. The dirty secret of the taxidermy industry is that most taxidermists got into the business without any idea of what it actually takes to run the business. That’s the root of most of its problems.

Roan - LS01.jpg

Business 101

On the phone, this man’s frustration was palpable. All he’s asking is that taxidermists do what they say they’re going to do. And that’s certainly a fair request. It reminded me of a seminar I gave years ago, maybe even decades ago, on three simple things that would make a business successful:

1. Return all phone calls.
2. Keep your promise and your word.
3. Pay your bills.

There’s nothing earth shattering or prophetic in those rules. They’re fundamental, simple principles, and yet it seems within the taxidermy industry, there are a great many people who are unable to follow them.

I am intimately acquainted with the allure of becoming a taxidermist. But a great number of taxidermists became taxidermists not because they wanted to run a business but because they wanted to hunt and fish, and doing taxidermy on the side allowed them to do so. That’s a hobby masquerading as a business, and I pity the clients who fail to see that before handing over the deposit check.

During our phone call, the man mentioned that he owns a very successful business. He said that one of the reasons his business is successful is simply because he keeps his word. It’s a simple principle that goes so far, and it’s something we understand here at Animal Artistry. We’re committed to creating the most incredible trophies and exceeding customer expectations at every interaction. And we do it all with a 90-day turnaround. If you have hides collecting dust with another taxidermist, we’d love to show you a different approach. Contact us today.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
1. Return all phone calls.
2. Keep your promise and your word.
3. Pay your bills.

Thanks for sharing! These principles should be in everyone's business and personal life as well!

Kevin Peacocke

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
I confess I have had no problem with my taxidermist, he has been on time each of the three times I have used him and the work is excellent. I don't doubt your caller has had a problem, but that shouldn't be generalised across the taxidermy industry.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
I confess I have had no problem with my taxidermist, he has been on time each of the three times I have used him and the work is excellent. I don't doubt your caller has had a problem, but that shouldn't be generalised across the taxidermy industry.
Glad to hear! It isn't our intention to generalize, but it's a common issue throughout the industry.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Time and time again all you hear is about the poor service from taxidermy companies. They are ALL rubbish.
There are some good ones out there, but like everything in life, it's important to do your research and find the best service for you.

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
There are some good ones out there, but like everything in life, it's important to do your research and find the best service for you.
Nailed it on the head. Good ones and bad ones wherever you go and you have to do your research before leaving. I once got a Whatsapp message from a past outfitter asking me who I'd used in Namibia because their current clients were wondering. I about spit my coffee out reading that.

And I agree, it's like any service business. Lots of people can perform the service, but not as many can make it a functioning business.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Nailed it on the head. Good ones and bad ones wherever you go and you have to do your research before leaving. I once got a Whatsapp message from a past outfitter asking me who I'd used in Namibia because their current clients were wondering. I about spit my coffee out reading that.

And I agree, it's like any service business. Lots of people can perform the service, but not as many can make it a functioning business.
Oh yeah, creating the functioning business can be very difficult. Thanks for the comment!

Proneshooter

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Argentina, Zimbabwe x 2, South Africa, Wyoming, Montana, North & South Dakota, Texas
Don't even get me started on the mess our stuff from 2017 is in. Having been in the residential building trades I can say there is good and bad in every business, but I have had more than my fair share of problems dealing with gunsmiths and taxidermists. If they would just be honest up front, but it seems once they have your stuff the promises go right out the window and you are now at their mercy. Oh and once your stuff is finally done, you better pay quickly and in full.

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
Don't even get me started on the mess our stuff from 2017 is in. Having been in the residential building trades I can say there is good and bad in every business, but I have had more than my fair share of problems dealing with gunsmiths and taxidermists. If they would just be honest up front, but it seems once they have your stuff the promises go right out the window and you are now at their mercy. Oh and once your stuff is finally done, you better pay quickly and in full.
@Proneshooter
Sorry to hear of you problems with gunsmths and taxidermy.
Mine are only held up by the virus as the person doing the tanning wasn't allowed to work.
He has his arse hanging out trying to catch up with things. Next problem will be getting them to Australia..
My gunsmith isn't real quick but he is worth waiting for.
Bob

John J

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Yes on the gunsmith and yes on the taxidermist. I finally have my rifle back however, I have 2 crates now in an undisclosed USDA approved location for safe keeping. Big name taxidermy studio in Colorado had to move due to being sold as I was hunting?? No word of anything to clients after it was arranged to have my animals shipped to them out of Zim. It has been months, then the Chineese flu hits and all things stop. They have moved to a new building and await USDA approval to receive my crates. I dont have alot of confidence in these people and they will not tell me where my property is just that they will have approval in another week or two......

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
I hunted my quarry in the first week of May 2018 in SA. I am going to pick up my pieces tomorrow, June 2020! Wow I never in my life thought it would take so long. I just hope it will be worth the wait.
That's a long time, but I'm glad you are picking them up! Hopefully they turn out great!

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Like you said, definitely about being honest and up front. Best way to be in business and in life.

Animal Artistry

Sponsor
Since 2019
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.animalartistry.com
Media
Articles
Yes on the gunsmith and yes on the taxidermist. I finally have my rifle back however, I have 2 crates now in an undisclosed USDA approved location for safe keeping. Big name taxidermy studio in Colorado had to move due to being sold as I was hunting?? No word of anything to clients after it was arranged to have my animals shipped to them out of Zim. It has been months, then the Chineese flu hits and all things stop. They have moved to a new building and await USDA approval to receive my crates. I dont have alot of confidence in these people and they will not tell me where my property is just that they will have approval in another week or two......
If you need any help with any of this or are looking for a company with people you can trust, please let us know!

Speedster

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted SA in May of 2019. Had my trophies dipped and packed. Shipped to tannery in US in September. Tannery shipped them to the taxidermist in December. Taxidermist delivered to me in March. Total of about 10 1/2 months

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted Namibia late 2019. With this bloody corona virus hoping to get mine before I have to be taxidermied
Hunted August/September 2018, all completed in March and shipping for RSA shit down before they could leave country.

They look great in a crate in a warehouse right now! Ha ha (I gotta laugh it off).

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.