AH senior member
Reaction score
Website
www.conservationforce.org
Media
Articles
Member of
Conservation Force
Helpful article to support sustainable use. See attached Moorhouse.pdf article: The Customer Isn't Always Right - Conservation and Animal Welfare Implications of the Increasing Demand for Wildlife Tourism

watermark.php

Attachments

• Moorhouse.pdf
    606.5 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for posting this Mr. Jackson. This is fascinating. While the article is a bit dense (reminds me of some of my professors when I was in university!), it makes a compelling case that those who suggest that hunting areas should be turned into non-consumptive uses may not know what they are talking about.

An extract:

In summary this paper comprises the first attempt to audit the conservation and welfare
impacts of the array of non-consumptive, non-zoo wildlife tourist attractions now available
worldwide. We conclude— by extrapolating from the results of the subset of 24 attractions we
analysed in detail— that the majority (approximately two thirds to three quarters) of wildlife
tourist attractions have negative welfare impacts on individual animals and on their taxon’ s
conservation status. A small proportion of tourists attending a given WTA recognise and
respond to the welfare status of the subject animals, but typically 80% or more will not.

The conclusion that animals do not benefit from - and in fact are negatively impacted by - many types of "eco-tourism", does not come as a surprise, but the fact that so few people who participated in these "non-consumptive" uses were able to recognize that fact is a bit of a surprise.

Studies such as this one will be very useful in putting the lie to the anti's admonitions that we should put down the guns and take up a camera - stop killing the animals - a photo does no harm.

Well, yes, it can, and it often does.

Great summary Hank.

I skimmed through the article and will admit I got more than a little cross eyed reading it earlier.

Going to go back and try again after reading your cliff notes. :)

No question it is opaque - but that just means that if I cite it as support for my position, very few people will be in a position to tell me I'm wrong!

they dont know what they are talking about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg