The cost of shipping Trophies

And the cost to have the taxidermy done in RSA? I'm just looking at budgeting and for ME it doesn't look promising right now.
I don't have the invoice in front of me, but it was ~$8,400 turn-key including crating and delivery to the shipper. No seperate dip and pack charges needed and they picked up from my outfitter as part of the service.

I was thinking about going back to RSA someday soon. With these charges getting out of hand, it will discourage me. If they don't get back to reasonable, I think it will hurt the Safari business. The Outfitters will be left to make it more reasonable by reducing their rates to attract customers. Just my opinion.

Greetings,

I recieved a notification informing me about the price for the trophies shopping for South Africa to Chicago.

$1085
One box, the dimensions 132×70×45. I don't know if that in centimeters!?
4 trophies plus one skin.

Since this my first, I don't know if that was expensive or not?
What was it before the covid madness?
With the oil prices rising up and up, should we expect more cost in the future?something to consider unfortunately.

Thankfully my wife not on this great site.

Regards!
Excellent price for these days!

Just received my trophies from late July SA safari. The shipment included hide and horns for a sable, kudu, wildebeest , impala and gemsbok. The
total cost for dip and pack and shipment to Chicago and custom clearance and shipment to Southeast Missouri worked out to $753 each. Add to that the cost of shoulder mounts at an average of $1000 each and you have a finished product of $1753 per animal- which is roughly in line with the trophy costs ( minus the sable ). A rule of thumb might be to double the trophy cost for a rough idea of your safari costs.

Just received my invoice from Trophy Logistics & Crating. $906 for my dip and pack caracal, roan and sable, a zebra rug and some ostrich finished products.
A pretty small crate but not m pleased with the quote.

This thread has me scared, I am waiting on D&P for 22 animals. Am happy with prior quoted D&P costs but the incoming estimates for shipping worry me. I will shop for a shipper when crates sizes are provided. I am going with "leakproof" plastic crates IAW Canadian regs. Hoping to skip a Canadian extra D&P. Crates and lids have doubled in price since 2019 planning but are still cheaper than quoted wood.

MB

I just received my quote from SBS in Johannesburg, 3987$, 96 kg, with 301 kg volumetric weight. 152 x 92 x 129 cm. Delta fight to Atlanta. My crate contains roan with a pedestal, wall pedestals of gemsbok, springbok and bushbuck and a full body klipsringer. More than I want to pay but much less than some of the quotes I’ve seen here.

Well my turn in the barrel, LOL. Bulls Eye Taxidermy finished my animals and I got my shipping quote from African Logistics for 1 buffalo pedestal, gemsbok and red Hartebeest wall pedestals, impala and blesbok shoulder mounts, zebra rug, buffalo hide guncase and back skins of everything. Crate 57.5 x 49 x 54 inches and 920 lbs. Johannesburg to Atlanta, Total $5077
Now it’s on to Trophy Shippers and getting them here.
What amazes me is that they got all that in that small of a crate. I got to see them working while there with Tsala and it was quite an enjoyable trip to see.
I have to say that everyone has been top rate to work with so far and I’m hoping for the same experience with clearing customs in Atlanta.
Never imagined that the world would be in this state just 9 months after our safari but no use whining but I will have an extra issue to plan for next trip when estimating costs. It won’t mean a thing though when that crate is home in Virginia. I’ll be after it with a pry bar and screwdriver like a 5 year old at Christmas, giggling the whole time.

Last edited:
Well my turn in the barrel, LOL. Bulls Eye Taxidermy finished my animals and I got my shipping quote from African Logistics for 1 buffalo pedestal, gemsbok and red Hartebeest wall pedestals, impala and blesbok shoulder mounts, zebra rug, buffalo hide guncase and back skins of everything. Crate 57.5 x 49 x 54 inches and 920 lbs. Johannesburg to Atlanta, Total $5077
Now it’s on to Trophy Shippers and getting them here.
What amazes me is that they got all that in that small of a crate. I got to see them working while there with Tsala and it was quite an enjoyable trip to see.
I have to say that everyone has been top rate to work with so far and I’m hoping for the same experience with clearing customs in Atlanta.
Never imagined that the world would be in this state just 9 months after our safari but no use whining but I will have an extra issue to plan for next trip when estimating costs. It won’t mean a thing though when that crate is home in Virginia. I’ll be after it with a pry bar and screwdriver like a 5 year old at Christmas, giggling the whole time.
Any idea what it’s going to cost to get them to Virginia? What part of Virginia is home?

Any idea what it’s going to cost to get them to Virginia? What part of Virginia is home?
I’m in southwest Virginia where 81 and 77 intersect but I haven’t gotten the estimate for that yet. I have a cost in mind considering gas, motel and time off work, that will determine if if hitch the trailer and go get them or not but I will post the final destination charge when I receive it.

$1,095 ground freight - DFW to Albuquerque. 299 Lbs, 173 x 103 x 109 cm. About 628 miles.

But today was Christmas in May. :)

Kudu Nyala in Crate.JPG

Crate Rec 052621.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I received my quote today from Rex Freight Forward $3640.00, subject to change pending next available flight to Atlanta to Coppersmith. I'll be driving down to pick up my crate.

Freight $ 2698.00

Terminal fee 67.00

Depot handling 65.00

Nature permits 180.00

CITES release 95.00

Fumigation 72.00

Courier 92.00

Insurance 106.00

Rex Freight 265.00

Total $ 3640.00

I have:
shoulder mounts and back skins: eland, gemsbok, warthog, leechwe,
full body mounts: baboon, yellowtail mongoose

At current gas prices add another +/-$110.00 for round trip Johnson City, TN to Atlanta.

Received a final quote on my 2021 trophies, cost actually came down about 400 dollars. Was almost 4000 and came to right at 3600. Trophies are scheduled to leave Johannesburg on the 31st and arrive Atlanta on August 1st. Then to customs and USFW for who knows how long. Then a 6 hour drive to Coppersmith in Atlanta and back home. Then the biggest ordeal will be rearranging the trophy room!

How many trophies was that cost for?

6, full body klipsringer, shoulder mounts of blesbok, springbok, bushbuck and gemsbok and a roan pedestal mount and assorted back skins.
Actual weight 96 kg
Volumetric weight 301 kg
dimensions 152 x 92 x 129 cm about 5’x3’x4’

I just wired $3,027 to Zimbabwe to ship one Cape Buffalo skull, cape and hide to Chicago. I am still on the hook for customs clearance and shipping to St. Louis. GULP!

6, full body klipsringer, shoulder mounts of blesbok, springbok, bushbuck and gemsbok and a roan pedestal mount and assorted back skins.
Actual weight 96 kg
Volumetric weight 301 kg
dimensions 152 x 92 x 129 cm about 5’x3’x4’
They must have been magicians if they fit all of that in a 5X3X4.

They must have been magicians if they fit all of that in a 5X3X4.
Yep, that had me worried but the shipping company double checked the crate and says it’s all in there. They must have stuffed something inside the pedestal. I imagine the horns are removable on the roan and I’ve never seen a gemsbok without removable horns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.