DillonG

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
None
With all of the travel restrictions going on, I am seriously considering updating quite a bit of my hunting gear. Anyone else having the same thoughts?

I constantly update my travel gear as things improve and change not just hunting gear.

That being said I wouldn't have bought two double rifles if it wasn't for restrictions as I already would have been on an international trip and not spending so much time online browsing firearms sale sites. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I constantly update my travel gear as things improve and change not just hunting gear.

That being said I wouldn't have bought two double rifles if it wasn't for restrictions as I already would have been on an international trip and not spending so much time online browsing firearms sale sites. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
What calibers are your doubles?

My wish list continues to grow. I am looking at a new Leupold vx5-hd for my favorite rifle along with either a 416 rigby or 375 H&H. Probably going to end up with the 375.

I am constantly buying hunting items and updating hunting gear. In the last month I have bought CZ 550s in 375 HH and 458 Lott. The 375 is back from AHR and the Lott is there now

I am constantly buying hunting items and updating hunting gear. In the last month I have bought CZ 550s in 375 HH and 458 Lott. The 375 is back from AHR and the Lott is there now
I have noticed that a lot of people who buy CZs send them to AHR. What work are you having done to them there?

AHR has a good reputation and I have no doubt they do nice work. If I were to hunt crocs or hippos in water with my CZ 550 375 H&H, I would consider and upgrade for accuracy. Otherwise, I think my rifle shoots well enough for its purpose.

I have noticed that a lot of people who buy CZs send them to AHR. What work are you having done to them there?

Wayne did a number 1 upgrade along with mercury reducer and glass bed on 375 HH

On the 458 Lott he has now. Doing a number 1, shortening the barrel a couple inches to make it handle quicker. Mercury reducer and glass bed. Also fitting one of his QD red dot mounts on it.

Heym .500 NE and VC .450 NE both left handed.

After handling the two, any comments on which of the two you prefer? Been researching between Heym and VC for my next double rifle.

After handling the two, any comments on which of the two you prefer? Been researching between Heym and VC for my next double rifle.
Retiring the Merkel or adding to the collection Marius?

Retiring the Merkel or adding to the collection Marius?

Just visiting the idea to upgrade.
Much easier and cheaper doing it with a double rifle than the wife, Col.

AHR has a good reputation and I have no doubt they do nice work. If I were to hunt crocs or hippos in water with my CZ 550 375 H&H, I would consider and upgrade for accuracy. Otherwise, I think my rifle shoots well enough for its purpose.
AHR does more than just improve the accuracy of your CZ.
They are a resource for those who don't have the time or skill to make these upgrades.
Wayne offers upgrades that many want like a 3-position sear blocking safety, better trigger and barrel shortening.
Many of his options are about making the CZ perform more reliably in the field.
Tuning and smoothing the action is a critical step for the feeding of a CRF rifle.
Any 375 or larger rifle that has been to AHR for a #1 or better is ready for a DG hunt.
That is what AHR is about.

AHR does more than just improve the accuracy of your CZ.
They are a resource for those who don't have the time or skill to make these upgrades.
Wayne offers upgrades that many want like a 3-position sear blocking safety, better trigger and barrel shortening.
Many of his options are about making the CZ perform more reliably in the field.
Tuning and smoothing the action is a critical step for the feeding of a CRF rifle.
Any 375 or larger rifle that has been to AHR for a #1 or better is ready for a DG hunt.
That is what AHR is about.
Hey thanks for that information. Been looking at the Winchesters in either 416 or 375. Not sure if they would require the same amount of work, but definitely a resource I will keep in mind.

@DillonG
You can check the classifieds here for some of Wayne's work.
Also keep an eye on Gun Broker, AHR stuff comes up every now and then.
I saw one chambered in 550MAG going for $5K on GB this morning.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858137351

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.59.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.59.50 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.59.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.59.52 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.59.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-26 at 8.59.54 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:

I won't have the VC in my hands until the end of June. I will let you know then. One thing if you are going to put a red dot on it Heym has the base built in all you have to get is the mount for the red dot of your choice. VC is a $400 labor by JJ plus the factory base to get it done. Not to mention shipping the barrel and back.

Though if ordering direct from factory one can order it with the mount I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois