The best era to have lived

I‘m glad to be living here and now. The generations that are currently living are enjoying the best living conditions in human history.

Smaller percentages of people die from wars, famine, and natural disease than at any time in human history. We in the West spend the smallest share of our income for food than ever before. Hell, things are so good that people think satellite/cable TV an Internet are essentials!

All that said, it would have been great to be British upper class and living in India or Africa in the Victorian era. If only there were effective cures for Typhoid, Malaria, etc.!

I say the 1920s. Hey, names like R. J. Cunninghame and Bill Judd were PH'ing, plus the music was great and women were fun and dressed nice. WW2 hadn't happened yet, so we (as a specie) hadn't seen the absolute worst we could do to one-another, and Mau-Maus in East Africa were still a few generations away.

Calvin "I'll leave you the F alone" Coolidge was US president, which is why nothing horrible ever happened for much of that blessed era.

Oh, and that decade produced what's probably the nicest rifles in history--including "my baby" in my profile pic.
Agree..1920’s in British East Africa

The early 90's were nice. freaks knew they were freaks at least.
Yeah, now you can watch the circus without paying. The main three ring venue is in D.C. but the major cities are good too.

For a W.A.S.P. normal man in the U.S.A, I don't think for a second that our best times are yet to come.

We can be fired and passed over for promotions for absolutely no reason except for "diversity", "inclusion", "equity", etc.

Merit-based success is behind us in most big-business, government, and even the U.S. military.

Entrepreneurs are despised, rejected, and targeted by many local and state governments, as well as the federal government and non-governmental organizations (NGO's).

My son (who is much like me), can not have a son who can become an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America without bowing to WOKE indoctrination.

The current situation is sad.

The future will be worse, if not MUCH worse.

For a W.A.S.P. normal man in the U.S.A, I don't think for a second that our best times are yet to come.

We can be fired and passed over for promotions for absolutely no reason except for "diversity", "inclusion", "equity", etc.

Merit-based success is behind us in most big-business, government, and even the U.S. military.

Entrepreneurs are despised, rejected, and targeted by many local and state governments, as well as the federal government and non-governmental organizations (NGO's).

My son (who is much like me), can not have a son who can become an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America without bowing to WOKE indoctrination.

This is such a weird way of thinking. As a WASP in the USA, it's hard to imagine an easier life. Damn near anything in the world is accessible. If becoming Eagle Scout is enough of a problem that it makes the current situation "sad", that's not a tough life.

Some people like to feel persecuted I guess.

Last edited:
We will just have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Thanks for joining this forum a few minutes ago.

Please expand on your experience with African hunting...

Last edited:
We will just have to agree to disagree, I guess.

Thanks for joining this forum TODAY!
Yup guess so. Thanks for the welcome!

As to the original question, just the fact of modern dentistry and medical facilities, it'd be pretty hard to go back too far. I can't image the havoc a gum disease could end up causing back in the 1800s!

It's funny that the forum gave me a "like" to your post and you a "like" to my post.

No hard feelings on my part.

Welcome.

Sorry for being rude.

It's funny that the forum gave me a "like" to your post and you a "like" to my post.

No hard feelings on my part.

Welcome.

Sorry for being rude.
You weren't rude at all, if anyone was it was me. I've been a lurker on these forums for a long time and it was a frustrating day so I decided to finally make an account and respond to you in a snarky way. I may not agree with everything you wrote but I appreciate we can keep it civil.

And I really gave you that "like".

Welcome aboard!

I am a 57-year-old, semi-retired, civil servant, who had a bad day also!

@Safari Dave
What is a WASP mate. Ain't never heard of it.
Bob

@Safari Dave
What is a WASP mate. Ain't never heard of it.
Bob

White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant.

In high school, I was taught that every presidential candidate had to be one (prior to JFK), to be elected President of the USA.

(Obviously, that is no longer the case except for JFK and Obama, if they don't pretend otherwise)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoelKalman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg