Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
As opposed to the last thread that looked at the ideal age to be, this one is about the best time to have lived, somewhat similar and of course the circles overlap. To some the grand age of exploration of the latter 1800's with it's vast canvas and freedom to go wherever and do whatever was it, but of course it wasn't easy or quick to travel.
Then there is the early 20th century characterised by the ported safaris of the rich and famous, Rooservelt et al.
The 1950's rolled in with reliable air travel and capable vehicles and safari was now a thriving business that didn't require months of time. Nevertheless Africa was still blisfully open with few regulations. This was the Ruark and Selby era of perhaps a smaller canvas but better paints to colour it with.
The sixties through to the eighties were the age of conflict in Africa as it struggled through it's past and looked for it's future. Safaris still happened, but it was perhaps the age of the park wardens who grappled with adverse circumstances to hold it all together for the future, and what a magnificent job they did.
The nineties and 2000's have been a fairly tranquil era of easy travel and a burgeoning of the quick and affordable short safari. Almost any employed parson may be able to achieve their African dream with some saving.

For me it is clear, the 1950's were IT in every way. I was born then, but would have liked to have lived then, in East Africa or Southern Rhodesia with the established means to soak it all in. I still try!

@Kevin Peacocke : perhaps the disclaimer should be added that financial means are of no object in this. Because late 1800's might seem nice, but for a much larger part of the population than is today the case, going on safari would be impossible to achieve.

Btw, with all these recent brainstorming you are doing, it sounds like you need to take your lovely wife and Carruthers out for another adventure soon! Safari blues? :)

Last edited:
You are ve
@Kevin Peacocke : perhaps the disclaimer should be added that financial means are of no object in this. Because late 1800's might seem nice, but for a much larger part of the population than is today the case, going on safari would be impossible to achieve.

Btw, with all these recent brainstorming you are doing, it sounds like you need to take your lovely wife and Carruthers out for another adventure soon! Safari blues? :)
You are

You are very perceptive VBE!

I think most people will think the era when they were kids was the best. I know mine was the 70's in Bulawayo. I've ALWAYS said if I could give my kids anything I'd give them the childhood I had.

So for me the 70's it is. When deals were done on a handshake, men were men... and free to live.

I say the 1920s. Hey, names like R. J. Cunninghame and Bill Judd were PH'ing, plus the music was great and women were fun and dressed nice. WW2 hadn't happened yet, so we (as a specie) hadn't seen the absolute worst we could do to one-another, and Mau-Maus in East Africa were still a few generations away.

Calvin "I'll leave you the F alone" Coolidge was US president, which is why nothing horrible ever happened for much of that blessed era.

Oh, and that decade produced what's probably the nicest rifles in history--including "my baby" in my profile pic.

I would say the 1950's, or right now if you are extremely wealthy. If you were a hard working guy in the 50'sand its something you wanted to do you could probably make it happen and it wasn't complicated like it is now. But if a guy is loaded with cash, I mean really loaded, Africa could be your playground right now.

For me, 1980 to 1989. You had TV shows like Magnum P.I and Remington Steele. Men still looked like men. Women still looked like women. Tanzania reopened up for hunting. Music was at it's finest.

Due to some personal accomplishments in my life, I basically lived like a King in that era. Met so many famous people and VIPs from all across the world.
Screenshot_20220909-003814_01.jpg
Screenshot_20221007-024242_01.jpg

I was born in 1960, but I had an uncle that always said, "the 1950's were the best times for America. Everybody was happy, and everybody helped each other". Of course, that has nothing to do with travelling to Africa. I've tried to enjoy each day as a gift. Each day is another adventure for me. I hope and pray for many more!

I was borne in 58 so, as @Kevin Peacocke alluded to, that time in northern and southern Rhodesia was a very special time

to be aged 20 as the 50s began would have been special there

only though, if you were from a farming community and / or worked for the Parks

I’ve loved my time on this planet

today I’m supposed to be in Mozambique, but work and clients got in the way

without them though, no shooting and no trips would be possible

so …

At the risk of being cliché’d - today and tomorrow is my favourite time

I just have to remember to ring out every drop rather than get submerged in politics, none of which I can change one iota

j

I was born in the ‘50’s. I’d choose the late 70’s or the ‘’80’s. Just was a great time in my life. I was young. Hunted a lot. Modern travel was available.
That said, Carpe’ Diem is so true. You never know what the future will bring. In ‘14, I got sick and didn’t know if I’d walk again or even live. ‘20 brought COVID as well as both my wife and I developing health issues, unfortunately her‘s are more Impactful.
Bottom line, do what you can when you can.

Last edited:
I've always been attracted to the Edwardian period in the early decades of the 20th Century before the world wars--the Out of Africa time period. (tho' the book and movie do overlap WWI).
Hunting in Africa was amazing, Muthaiga Club in Nairobi, etc. The books and movie make it seem idyllic.

One of my college assignments was a 5 minute speech where you were not given the topic until the moment you stood in front of the class. Mine was, "if you could live in any decade in history, which would it be". I chose the 1890's, caveat being I am an the son of extremely wealthy parents who wish nothing more than to fund my hunting trips around the world. If I was just a regular Joe, I'd take present day so at least I have AC and cold beer.

These days are certainly not it! The times when TR was hunting Africa or if not hunting I think the last quarter of of the 19th century in the western territories would be fitting, if you weren’t polite, you had better know how to handle a Colt. People worried about hard work, cattle and gold, not pronouns and people’s feelings. The only comfort animal was the horse you were riding and it wasn’t all that comfortable! All the transportation was of the green kind, yet you didn’t have to plug it in, ran on water and pasture. What I’d give to live in those days, but can I still have a 338?

In my youth, I was fortunate to spend some time around one of my father's friends. A man who came to German East Africa in 1894. His parents lasted a year and returned home. He stayed and started hunting elephant at 14 and made it his vocation. His life was not easy but definitely interesting and exciting. At the end of WWI, the British stole his gold and the ivory he had shot during the war years, then burned down his home and ran him out of his country, making him start over in Portuguese territory even though he was not part of the German army. He continued to hunt ivory up until around WWII, poaching at will into Tanganyika, Nyasaland, Northern Rhodesia and even Southern Rhodesia to punish the British for their theft. He lived a simple but full life. In my youth, I wished I was born earlier so I could have lived a life like him.

In the 60's I knew some Tanzania PH's and game wardens. Who could have a better life than they. In the bush and around animals all day. In my youth, I wished I was born earlier so I could have lived a life like them.

As Garth Brooks sings, "Thank God for unanswered prayers." We have no control over when and where we are born. We only control what we do with the time we have. I have been blessed with a wonderful family. My time on this journey called life has been great. I have been able to do many things and see many places. In the winter of life I have time. Hopefully the health and finances hold up, allowing me more adventures.

I was definitely born at the right time and place. I live where I am meant to live. I am blessed!

I love these threads, but damn.................I feel like I've just been sitting in the first pew when I read some of these posts. Like sermons. Come on Eileen.....use your imaginations. @Tom Leoni probably said it best......Cole Porter music and women of the 20's would be pretty good...after the safari. 1980's music may be my favorite, but the 1887 safari and exploratory trip of Count Sam Teleki into East Africa for 20 months would be hard to pass on. BTW @Captain Munro ....in his fine book detailing travels in Africa in 1845, Cummings said that the storage pouches on his wagons were good for "toothbrushes and personal things". It kinda surprised me that he had a toothbrush in 1845. Thanks for posting Kevin .................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swasel

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!