Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Outdoor Tomorrow Foundation,NRA, Life Member DSC
Hunted
Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Namibia, South Africa, Spain, Tanzania, and now Tajikistan
The Bear Cub and The Double Rifle

The AH gathering at the Dallas Safari Club Convention this year was a wonderful time. As always it is a pleasure to visit in the original face timing with many fine people from around the world that I have come to know through AH. Maybe technology is not all bad.

It was especially a joy because most of Team Fet was in attendance and we all knew that the rest of the team would be present by the end of the evening. This would be our first time together since June in South Africa.

Princess Bride had our hotel room looking like the workshop at the North Pole. I sometimes wonder if PB does not have some hobbit in her family history. The giving of gifts whether it be birthdays or anniversaries but especially at Christmas is extremely important. I, on the other hand, am related to a bunch of Grinches.

We left the AH gathering early because it was time to open presents. Both my sons have married powerful women. It was in South Africa that I watched them become good friends.

IMG_5726.jpeg

It was with great joy that I watched all four greet each other with great affection. Opening presents has always been a messy affair. I am not sure which is worse 8, 9, and 10 year olds or four twenty somethings.

As I looked around it seemed all the presents had been opened. I did notice that the trash can in the room was not going to get the job done. Then my youngest son said, “Dad there is one more present. Mom go sit next to Dad.” As PB came and sat next to me we were handed one more present to open and this is what we received.

IMG_6773.jpeg

PB handled the whole event with greater style than me.

IMG_6774.jpeg

As I looked at the gift, I wanted to jump up and pump my fist in the air and yell,”ATTAWAYTOGO!”. I wanted to do the happy dance. Then I thought, “Damn, they are just kids! They don’t know what the hell they are doing!” Then I wanted to dance again! I think the best I could do was sit there and hold PB’s hand and smile. I will say though that the dancing, fist pumping, and strutting is becoming more prevalent as time goes by.

It is always a pleasure to arrive on the convention floor before the doors open in the morning and push a coffee cart around. The PH’s go to great pains to create wonderful memories for us in our safaris. It is nice to try to make them smile for a couple of days in Dallas. Besides you get to do some scouting of the floor before the crowd gets there.

Wfet had mentioned that Double Guns of Nashville would have a booth at the convention. Earlier this year while visiting in Nashville my son had taken me to see the store. It is a wonderful store that harkens to the fine gun stores of London.

I stopped by their booth early on Saturday to visit. I immediately saw a Verny-Carron 470NE laying on the counter. Over the last several years I have stopped by all the double rifle booths at DSC. Each has marvelous guns and are happy to show them to you. However, Jerome at the VC booth will make you feel especially welcomed. He will teach you about double rifles. He will spend time explaining the concept of how a double rifle should work. He will make you feel like you are the most important person in the world even though you just told him you can’t afford one of his rifles. Jerome is a proper gentleman.

I picked up the rifle. Closed the breach. I closed my eyes and mounted the rifle. Jerome had taken my measurements last year and I knew how one of his rifles should fit me. When I opened my eyes there was the front site exactly where it was supposed to be. I wanted to jump up and pump my fist in the air and yell,”ATTAWAYTOGO!”. I wanted to do the happy dance. Then I thought, “Damn, I can’t afford this! I don’t know what the hell I am doing!” Then I wanted to dance again! Then the thought came to me, “So what’s new. I didn’t know what I was doing when I got married. I certainly did not know what I was doing when my sons were born. I am still figuring out these things called daughters-in-laws.” The decision was made that my “bear cubs” will know about double rifles they are just going to have to find something else that they don’t know about.

IMG_6811.jpeg

Anybody know where I can buy some Norma .470 NE 500 grain ammunition?

Congrats!!!! That's totally awesome and I know you're super excited!!!! What a joy!!!

And the grandchild will be nice too .:cool:

I got to talk to @NurseFet a bit, and yeah, that's a strong woman . She fits in the family well. :)

As always I’m glad to have pointed my dad towards some of the finer vices in life: good cigars, smooth whiskeys, and fine French rifles. Only the best for an adventure dad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @Royal27 !! It's nice to know that all my efforts to become part of Team Fet as First Ponytail have paid off. And although @WFet and I are excited about become aunt and uncle, I know he is looking forward to sharing a day at the range with @Jfet and that rifle.

Thanks @Royal27 !! It's nice to know that all my efforts to become part of Team Fet as First Ponytail have paid off. And although @WFet and I are excited about become aunt and uncle, I know he is looking forward to sharing a day at the range with @Jfet and that rifle.

I just wish I could think of something that @WFet could use that double rifle for in I don't know.... Say five years?

I mean it would be to honor his father. How can you say no to that??? ;)

I just wish I could think of something that @WFet could use that double rifle for in I don't know.... Say five years?

I mean it would be to honor his father. How can you say no to that??? ;)

I don’t understad what you’re talking about, @Royal27 . What could you possibly be referring to? :whistle:

@Royal27 ,

Right now @WFet is just thrilled I want my own hunting rifle. One step at a time... Second step is definitely going to be a crocodile or Gator.

Bear cub is growing every day and KWife is doing great! We are very excited for the days when bear cub and visit Africa!

Exceptional my friend! A double comes close to completion of the loop. A baby in the mix allows the distraction needed to purchase it! Lol

I don’t understad what you’re talking about, @Royal27 . What could you possibly be referring to? :whistle:

Ok you got me wanting to know what royal is talking about.....if it's non of my business just say so.......but maybe us enablers can assist.....:D

Last edited:
Congrats on the new rifle and the little one on the way!

Exceptional my friend! A double comes close to completion of the loop. A baby in the mix allows the distraction needed to purchase it! Lol

Truth be told I did call Princess Bride over and discussed the purchase with her. She did have a far and distant look in her eyes. Looking back now I think the with the purchase of the rifle we both got off very cheap. She has now fully recovered her faculties.:K Whip:

Very nice all-round.. .seems like you had a very good DSC show...:D Beers:

The last two DSC Conventions have seen the highs and lows of life. I was at the 2018 convention when my sister called and told me that our father had passed away. A year later the circle of life continues with the announcement of Bear Cubs future arrival.

Of course we cannot minimize the fact that I got to visit with you in person as well. (y)

Jfet,has anyone ever told you that you had a flair for the dramatic and or that you are a lucky man? Sounds like you and the Princess Bride did it right with your sons. Now your efforts have paid off by them finding "strong women" to help them continue family values and traditions. I've been hunting with my boys for forty years and with grandsons for the past 7 or 8 years. Believe me when I tell you that the fun is just beginning.

.......... A baby in the mix allows the distraction needed to purchase it! Lol

You need to qualify that: Grand-baby. Much smarter cover.
Good distraction AND you get to send them home.

Congrats on both your gifts, present and future (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you