The Battery of an Old School Professional Elephant Hunter

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
There's really no need to bond a bullet as large as that used in the .577 NE. Nevertheless, the Woodleigh Weldcore is bonded (hence the name Weldcore).
If only British fun makers made their guns capable of firing Monolithic solids :(

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
It needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Some mono-metal solids are easier on barrels than others (different materials, less bearing surface, more relief bands, etc.) and some of the old doubles can handle any (none of the newer ones will ruin a barrel like the A-Square bullets appear to have).

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
And, of course, when it comes to doubles there's always the matter of regulation. In this regard, when it comes to old doubles, Woodleigh's jacketed bullets (solid and soft) are usually best as they adhere to the original Kynoch in form.

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
And, of course, when it comes to doubles there's always the matter of regulation. In this regard, when it comes to old doubles, Woodleigh's jacketed bullets (solid and soft) are usually best as they adhere to the original Kynoch in form.
Problem is The Woodleigh FMJ solids loaded by Norma are relatively low Velocity. Look at Norma's .505 Gibbs Magnum 600 grain FMJ Round nosed bullets. Only a velocity of 2100 fps. Such a waste of potential ! :(

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Thanks for sharing this. I find it very interesting that the gentleman answered you!

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.