The Battery of an Old School Professional Elephant Hunter

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
There's really no need to bond a bullet as large as that used in the .577 NE. Nevertheless, the Woodleigh Weldcore is bonded (hence the name Weldcore).
If only British fun makers made their guns capable of firing Monolithic solids :(

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
It needs to be taken on a case-by-case basis. Some mono-metal solids are easier on barrels than others (different materials, less bearing surface, more relief bands, etc.) and some of the old doubles can handle any (none of the newer ones will ruin a barrel like the A-Square bullets appear to have).

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
And, of course, when it comes to doubles there's always the matter of regulation. In this regard, when it comes to old doubles, Woodleigh's jacketed bullets (solid and soft) are usually best as they adhere to the original Kynoch in form.

Hoss Delgado

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
And, of course, when it comes to doubles there's always the matter of regulation. In this regard, when it comes to old doubles, Woodleigh's jacketed bullets (solid and soft) are usually best as they adhere to the original Kynoch in form.
Problem is The Woodleigh FMJ solids loaded by Norma are relatively low Velocity. Look at Norma's .505 Gibbs Magnum 600 grain FMJ Round nosed bullets. Only a velocity of 2100 fps. Such a waste of potential ! :(

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Thanks for sharing this. I find it very interesting that the gentleman answered you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WendiChamp

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh