The availability of less common calibers when travelling abroad/Africa

My 2¢, Take a cartridge with enough power for the desired game at expected ranges and with which one is proficient.
Six trips and I've never taken a rifle that had ammo available in RSA nor probably anywhere in Africa. Just because ammo is available doesn't mean it'll shoot accurately. You could wind up with six inch groups at fifty yards. My plan B is no ammo, I'm using the outfitters rifle.

And if it gets a new generation to discover the 6.5, I am all for it.
Started with the Creedmoor, found the x55 and now own 1 or 2 of those as well!

@Red Leg, I agree with your comment on AR’s for hunting platforms. However, I do find an AR in 6.5 Grendel topped with a decent thermal to be great for feral hog control. It’s not hunting but it is necessary.

@Red Leg, I agree with your comment on AR’s for hunting platforms. However, I do find an AR in 6.5 Grendel topped with a decent thermal to be great for feral hog control. It’s not hunting but it is necessary.
No issue at all. Just wore one to work for too many years. Have a couple to repel borders.

I was very fortunate to train with some men who still had sand in their boots, this was about 3 months ago. A bunch of them were carrying ARs in 6.5cm, they were built off Seekins uppers. They also had a couple MK48s that were still being run though the paces, but it seems clear those are going to be widely utilized in the very near future.
Yes but they are armed for combat.
Secondly they will use FMJ ammo in combat, probably close quarters combat so all the benefit of the CM round long range ability goes to the wayside.
It has been said before that currently a lot of 6.5 projectiles are designed for long range applications more so the majority being long range target applications. So target projectiles are marketing and development factors .
I’m using my PH rifle but if I were taking rifles to Africa I would want to use classic hunting or traditional chambering’s . Just because it’s Africa.

Yes but they are armed for combat.
Secondly they will use FMJ ammo in combat, probably close quarters combat so all the benefit of the CM round long range ability goes to the wayside.
It has been said before that currently a lot of 6.5 projectiles are designed for long range applications more so the majority being long range target applications. So target projectiles are marketing and development factors .
I’m using my PH rifle but if I were taking rifles to Africa I would want to use classic hunting or traditional chambering’s . Just because it’s Africa.

This was almost entirely 100-600m training.

I'm the same way, I choose rifles and cartridges for many reason, practicality is not really at the top of the list. I very much like the process of buying/building rifle for specific hunts, I'm not going to take a fiber stocked short mag on an African hunt. It would bug me the entire time and I am paying to much to not have the experience I want.

Here’s what you have a smidgeon of a chance of finding in Africa:

30-06
7x57
375H&H
416 Rigby
458 winchester
470 Nitro

anything else is extremely doubtful. I shake my head every time I hear guys bringing 375 Ruger this and 416 remington that and 458 Lott this and 400 H&H that...good luck with all of that if your ammo goes missing. (Happened to me once, nearly happened to me twice...and that’s why you ALWAYS have a 375HH along)

Hi All, good afternoon.

There are a couple of threads running regarding rifle and calibre choice be that for ladies or particular game. Some parts of these discussion raise the question of suitability of less popular calibres for travel. I have returned from SA where our PH had said the SA firm of PMP had stopped producing hunting ammunition.

So I am going with the dangerous word of assumption, I assume 270w, 7mm Rem mag, 308w, 30-06, 300win mag and 375H&H have good availability, metrics 7x57 and 9.3x62?

So with 6.5CM being all the rage, how does this and say 6.5x55, 7mm-08, 7x64 8x57 fair for availability.

I ask this as someone was travelling with 325wsm and they got separated from their ammo box, needless to say they struggled to get replacements.

Perhaps some PH's would like to comment or anyone who has travelled and had to purchase replacement ammunition?

Look forward to your thoughts

ATVB

All the calibers in the first list are easy to get ammunition for in the bigger cities where you will fly to, ie. Johannesburg, Durben, Port Elizabeth, Bloemfontein.

There is a big following of the metric calibers in SA, so 6,5x55, 7x57, 7x64 and 9,3x62 will be obtainable. The less common calibers is hit and miss.

The best is to arrange early on with your outfitter to source an extra box or two of ammunition for you if you are coming with a scarce or obsolete caliber as an insurance policy from a Store like Safari Outdoor, Zimbi or some others retailers.

Or just do as I planned to do if my ammo or my rifle went missing in transit.

Use one of the outfitters rifles/ammo and have a great time.

I think the biggest thing is to not get too bent out of shape if your ammo or rifle doesn't show up.
Have a plan if your stuff is lost in transit.
Most "camp" rifles are very good and you would be wise to ask ahead of time about them.
This was one of the very first questions I asked after booking with our outfitter.

Being proficient with large caliber firearms is more common in Africa than in the US.
Most teenagers easily shoot a 375 or larger rifle, where in the States that is unheard of.
As long as you are a proficient, well practiced hunter with calibers up to 375...you should be just fine.

As to ammunition availability, Zimbabwe firearms law I know. RSA firearms ammunition & Firearms law I am a little less familiar with. In Zim you must have a Zimbabwe Resident Firearms license with a firearm in the same caliber to be able to purchase ammunition. I believe South Africa is the same. Just because your PH knows where he can purchase ammo in your caliber does not mean he can legally do so. Yes, I know many foreign hunters have been able to obtain ammunition in Africa, I am just stating my understanding of the law. Also remember on ammo for doubles, just because it it the correct caliber does not mean it will regulate. Of course you can always get a bit closer!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ga179sale

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you