The Art Of Hunting The Great Bears Of Bengal: A Comprehensive Guide

Thank you Major for your wonderful insight on these animals. Most of us will never see one in the wild, much less have the opportunity to hunt them. Your articles always make me feel that in some small way I have been there.
Doug
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Doug . Ever since hunting got banned by the disgusting Gandhi cabinet in India , in 1972 ... The opportunity to hunt these magnificent game animals , has sadly died . On that note ... I decided to write these guides as a record , of the kind of magnificent hunting ... Which was once available in India , prior to the cow urine drinking vegans taking over India . How ever , we can ( And do ) legally hunt Asian Sloth Bears and Sun Bears in Bangladesh ( The 1s which venture in to private property ) .

Major how often does it happen, that a bears claw will break off inside a person?

It actually happens somewhat often ... As far as Sun Bears are concerned , Master Smith . Remember Panther Shooter sharing a story about our younger friend , Enayet Hamza ...A week ago ? He got injured in 1992 ... By a Sun Bear . The Sun Bear wounded him in the left arm ( Fortunately , only lightly ) . 1 of the brute’s claws got broken off and lodged in Enayet’s left fore arm .

Poton, using humans as bait is harsh / despicable. Nevertheless it was done, so your reporting of it is simply factual, and needs to be understood in that regard.
This is 1 of the things in my life ... Which I genuinely have a great degree of regret for , Shootist43 . Fortunately, Tobin educated me ... In seeing right from wrong .

Friend Ponton
I would surely not have liked to be covered in good and used as bait. They were either very brave or very stupid to allow it to be done as well they must gave been very good runners. I to find it not an acceptable practice. Of all the methods you mentioned I would have used t huge e first in my fitter days. Now I would uses a beat.
No matter what method except the last it sounds like it is an interesting and exciting hunt.
Your humble reader and friend
Bob.
That is 1 of the things in my life ... Which I have a genuinely great degree of regret for , Bob . Out of all 6 methods ... Method # 3 is my personal favorite . I estimate that 90 % of all the Great Bears Of Bengal , which I have dispatched in my life ... Were taken by utilizing a bucket full of Goor , as bait .

Major, Sir,
From the picture and your description, the Himalayan Brown Bear seems very similar to our American Grizzly or Alaskan brown Bear. An exciting hunt and excellent trophy, I would say.
They were extremely thrilling game animals ... To hunt , New Boomer ! Are Kodiak Bears in America also taken with the .338 Winchester magnum ?

Very interesting. Up in Alaska a pump action 12 gauge is a popular bear defense for people who are not actually hunting.

The same rifles you mentioned are popular up here. A lot of people use the 30-06, 300 Magnums, and 338. The 375 is a bit more of a specialty rifle for bear hunters but almost every hunting store has a 375 H&H and ammo.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Luke ! Back when I used to be a professional shikaree , my American clients used to tell me ... That the .338 Winchester magnum was the most popular calibre for hunting Coastal Grizzly Bears in your home land . On our Great Bears Of Bengal ... The .338 Winchester magnum certainly fared , just as well .

Thanks for the article Major. I had no idea how many species of bear India contained. These comprehensive guides are very interesting to read, and hopefully someday I can put the to use.
Why thank you so much for your kind words , Master Smith . Only 1 brute is left now , on the list . Can you guess which 1 , it is ?

Well done sir. Great explanation and details of hunting the bears of your great area. One thing I find interesting in your rifle section is a lack of reference to any of the 7mm's. Running a 160-180 grain bullet of good construction at 2900-3000 fps they do a great job on our black bears and they can weigh well over 500 lbs in some areas. Is this a lack of familiarity or some other reason? I truly enjoy your articles.
Bruce

Well done sir. Great explanation and details of hunting the bears of your great area. One thing I find interesting in your rifle section is a lack of reference to any of the 7mm's. Running a 160-180 grain bullet of good construction at 2900-3000 fps they do a great job on our black bears and they can weigh well over 500 lbs in some areas. Is this a lack of familiarity or some other reason? I truly enjoy your articles.
Bruce
Thank you so much for your kind words , Bruce . Please allow me to elaborate . The Great Bears Of Bengal have been successfully dispatched with EVERY possible calibre of rifle , ranging from .22 Winchester magnum rim fire to .460 Weatherby magnum . How ever , I would personally refrain from contending with these brutes ... With any rifle calibre smaller than the .338 Winchester magnum . During the time of my career , countless of my clients successfully laid low the Great Bears Of Bengal ... With 7 × 57 mm Mauser or 7 mm Remington magnum calibre rifles ( We did not have the 7 mm 08 Remington calibre , back in those days ) .Even a .256 Mannlicher calibre rifle is capable of dispatching a fully grown male Himalayan Brown Bear ... Provided that your 1st shot is entirely capable of bringing about the brute’s death . How ever , the heavier calibre of rifle becomes indispensable for laying low WOUNDED bears . For body shots , a larger diameter bullet definitely has more effect on a game animal than a smaller diameter bullet . Aside from creating larger wound channels ( Thus , ensuring swifter blood loss ) , it also causes more “ Shocking “ effect to the creature’s system ... Provided that the velocity is adequate .

That is why ... My personal preference is for the .338 Winchester magnum , especially if the shikaree needs to contend with a Himalayan Brown Bear .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.