The agony of choice...

What would be your choice?

• Total voters
Hello HWL,

I like the 8x60 S!! What rifle do you have?

It is a Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1924 HiVel.

It wears an old 4xKahles on claw mount.

I just try to mount a Swarovski 3-9x36 on the same claw mount bases.......

And I figured out....this is not easy.

:unsure:

HWL

With this rifle, I want to hunt the buffalo only.

Plains game, I intend to hunt with something smaller.

I am thinking about a 8x60S, lying dormant in my gun safe.

HWL
In that case the 320 grn Woodleigh, no need for solids for buffalo.

I haven't shot a buff with a 9.3, but everything up to eland has taken one shot with 286 and 300gr Aframes. I have been doing some limited testing with the 320 woodleigh's and them penetrate better than any other soft I have shot in my rifles (Although I could get them going fast enough to shoot to the regulation on my 9.3 double) I wouldn't hesitate to hunt buff with my 9.3x62 bolt gun. Take the MS and post pictures when you get home.

I haven't shot a buff with a 9.3, but everything up to eland has taken one shot with 286 and 300gr Aframes. I have been doing some limited testing with the 320 woodleigh's and them penetrate better than any other soft I have shot in my rifles (Although I could get them going fast enough to shoot to the regulation on my 9.3 double) I wouldn't hesitate to hunt buff with my 9.3x62 bolt gun. Take the MS and post pictures when you get home.

What powder are you using with the 320’s in the 9.3x62?

Ram shot big game. I also tried RL-17 but got better accuracy and velocity with BG on 300-320's. I got the best results on 250-286 with RL17

I'm just starting to reload for 9.3x62. Is RL17 a consensus powder for the caliber? What about 9.3x74R? The same? Thanks.
I like it for 250 grain Accubonds. Very solid out to 325 Yards, including from the sticks. FWIW, good groups from the sticks at distance says a lot about how I handle the recoil, being I'm a recoil sissy. :(

Of the two stock shapes shown in the initial post, which kicks less, the top or the bottom one?
Not an easy question...

As far as I remember, the short Mauser kicks more... and I remember severe muzzle blast with full house loads.

But I never made a test with the same ammunition at the same time/place to check this.

All in all I think, the long Mannlicher is more pleasant to shoot.

HWL

What is it with R8 owners? They take every opportunity to explain to the rest of us why their rifle is the only one worth consideration. Glad you enjoy them but please stop infecting every other thread with R8 propaganda. We get it. You spent a lot of money for an ugly rifle and you need to explain why. It's become very tedious. How many times does the OP have to say he doesn't own an R8? Jeezle Pete.....

To the OP, take the Mauser 9.3x62.
FYI - It wasn't an R8 owner that started this thread.
@HWL included it in the poll for a reason.
In doing so, he solicited the advice of R8 owners.
R8 owners were invited to this thread...not infecting it.

Nothing wrong with the R8..... when you hunt in Germany, 8 out of 10 hunters have one, and the ninth is a R93.

Sometimes, it looks like hunting is impossible without a straight pull rifle.

Probably, I am just to old for this circus..... so finally, I decided, traditional bolt action is good for me.

HWL

...some say,....you can miss faster with a straight pull ;)

I am amazed, that the M98 made it that clear......

Do I have to stop the counting and hire Rudy Guiliani?

:unsure:

HWL

Last edited:
@HWL I too am very surprised that the MS didn't get a higher vote. I like my 98's but the MS is in a class by itself. I absolutely enjoy my 6.5x54 carbine and have never had the honor to hold or shoot a MS in 9.3x62 so I will just enjoy seeing what you post with a pic of it beside buff/boar/???

Even today, it's hopless to competete with a Mauser M98.

But should be once the last stand for the Mannlicher-Schoenauer,... I'll be there.

HWL

Take the Mannlicher.... me I have a pre-1924 MS in 9.5x57MS....it shall see Afrika..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg