What would be your choice?

• Total voters

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
On my next trip to RSA, a 9,3x62 will accompany me.

A Mauser M98, 20" barrel, Zeiss 3-12x56 Diavari, German #1 on pivot mount, or ....
A Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK, 25,6" barrel, zeiss 2,5-10x52 Diavari, German #4 on claw mount.

DSC04450.JPG

;)

HWL

Last edited:

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
I voted for the 98 but mine is actually a CZ550 in 9.3x62.

Clodo Ferreira

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hi HWL,

Mmmmm...hard question...I am a 100% Mauser Man. But, between that two rifles I must say I like more the GK!!!
I have had a GK like yours in 7x64 with a Hensoldt Diavari 1,5-6x36 ret 11. So, I

ZG47

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Member of
NZDA, NZMSC
Hunted
New Zealand
I prefer the Steyr stock but the mid-bolt placing of the handle does not work for me so ... I voted Mauser. Beautiful rifle, that Schoenauer, the machining and finish is always first class.

AZDAVE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
I took a mauser in 2018 but if I owned a Manlicher-Schoenauer GK 9,3x62 I would have taken it.

HWL

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
....I do not have an R8....

HWL

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
We sold all our rifles and went all in on the Blaser R8 design.
His and Hers ready for our next Safari.

7x57Joe

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
What a difficult question to answer! I guess my decision would be based on the vegetation. The M.98 would be very handy in thick vegetation and probably somewhat lighter to carry but, doesn't possess the smoothness of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer action. The longer barrel of the M-S will propel the bullet somewhat faster but, will probably be of little importance. Oh what a dilemma!
With all that being said, I would probably take the Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK!;) Have a great hunt!(y)

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
What a difficult question to answer! I guess my decision would be based on the vegetation. The M.98 would be very handy in thick vegetation and probably somewhat lighter to carry but, doesn't possess the smoothness of the Mannlicher-Schoenauer action. The longer barrel of the M-S will propel the bullet somewhat faster but, will probably be of little importance. Oh what a dilemma!
With all that being said, I would probably take the Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK!;) Have a great hunt!(y)
I would encourage you to take a look at the Blaser R8 for a quick handling rifle.

The rifle is about 3.5" shorter than all others for a given barrel length.
This is because the magazine sits on top of the trigger group, not in front of it.
This reduces weight and OAL of the rifle, as well as moving the balance point backwards.
Having the pivot point between the hands, it feels more like a fine shotgun than a rifle.

And for a quick reload on a bolt action...the R8 is about as fast as it gets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcelaDoa

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J
Good morning friends

i‘ve taken to heart a suggestion to tell my story about a lion hunt 37 years ago. ‘I don’t know, but am thinking there are site rules as to posting and file type. Three of the four posts (chapters?) are done, I took time away from here to write up the story. I have a couple of photos too.

also, I’m going to dissemble the rifles and see if Butch may have signed them. I’ll let you know.