The Agony Factor - Travel to Africa

As an update, as I was looking at a flight from Phoenix AZ to Windhoek on British Airways, I checked with BA to make sure I could check a firearm all the way to my destination if all flights were BA, whatI found was Phoenix to Heathrow to J Burg was fine the next leg , J'Burg to Windhoek was to be on a BA regional airline, Comair of ZA. I sent an email to them to confirm and received the following email response:
to me

Hi John
Thanks for your email.
Unfortunately, Comair Limited which is a franchise partner for British Airways international will no longer be transporting firearms as of the 28 February 2013. This includes all of our routes and thus we will not be able to accept your firearm on our Windhoek flights.
The only airline in South Africa that does allow for firearms is South African Airways.
Kind regards
Leanne Siebrits
Customer Relations Team Leader
T: +27 11 921 0137 | F: +27 865 01 83 90
e: leanne.siebrits@comair.co.za

Guess you'll be flying SAA and or Air Namibia if you use BA on the first two legs.

yes, and I don't know if it worth the hassle. the change in policy baffles me, gets tougher all the time to fly - with or without firearms.

Brick, do you know if a 41/2 layover in J'burg is enought time to get my rifle through the permit process to transfer to a SAA flight?

Here is what I am looking at:
Better Flight Search and Hotel Booking - Hipmunk

I have not done it myself.
I stayed over night.

Technically yes it should be enough time.

BUT,
1. My issue is late arrivals, (out of your control)
2. If you arrive on a popular day for hunters traveling, (out of your control) turns into lots of permits being processed and lineups.

A possible solution:

If you got a pre-approved permit it is likely faster.

Another thought:
You might consider what I am doing (easy for me due to direct flights though)
Fly to Frankfurt then straight to Windhoek. NO RSA PERMITS required.
Transit permit for Germany which is a simple one pager.

You were going to have to go through customs anyway in JNB, just switch air carriers at that point.
If you get help through JNB, it could be possible but any delay and you will miss you flight to Windhoek.

This is why I go Delta from PHX or LAS to ATL/JNB. 1 airline, 1 bag check all the way to JNB. Layover 1 night and have a good nights restand get rid of jet lag and on to Winhoek No muss no fuss no problems. Just don't accept a return flight to JNB that doesn't allow a MIN or 4 hrs transit time to your Delta flight. Trust me on this one.

Thanks again for the info...I just booked Reno to JNB for my Zimbabwe hunt later this year. I'll make sure I allow extra time for the connection at JNB!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!