"The African" Rifle from Montana Rifle Company

ronp

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
"The African" Rifle

montana-african-rifle-dgr.png

A World-class Rifle For The Professional Hunter.
"The African"

“Dangerous Game”—the name brings visions of charging buffalos, a black-maned lion, and the ears-back head-down charge of a tusker! That vision guided us when we developed the perfect rifle for these situations. The core of the DGR is our Model 1999 Professional Hunter (PH) action. The PH is a double square bridge Mauser style action with the controlled round feed that’s demanded by professional hunters worldwide. The African is also available in our Model 1999 long action. Both actions feature a three position wing safety for safe and easy loading and unloading. Their Mauser style extractors provide consistent round ejection and ensure a smooth feed of the following cartridge. The DGR is offered in chromoly blued steel and is housed in an american black walnut stock. The Dangerous Game Rifle comes in a wide array of desirable PH Calibers!

Screenshot_2019-02-18 DGR Montana Rifle Company.png

Ron, I have a question. You show the 404 Jeffery having a long action weighing in at 6lbs. 15 oz. Can it be ordered with the PH Action in order to get the heavier rifle?

BTW, with this offering, you've kept your word. THANK YOU!

Be curious if a guy could get the 458 Lott in the PH action and what the magazine capacity is for it. Been wanting a Lott but a 6lb Lott doesn’t sound like much fun.

My question:
I have a buddy that supplies some of the finest wood to stock makers and I often find some fantastic stock wood, can I supply my own wood blank for a rifle? I have a piece of Tiger Myrtle that would beg to go on a 375 or 404 Jeff.

Ron, I have a question. You show the 404 Jeffery having a long action weighing in at 6lbs. 15 oz. Can it be ordered with the PH Action in order to get the heavier rifle?

+1 on this question

"The African" Rifle

View attachment 268896

A World-class Rifle For The Professional Hunter.
"The African"

“Dangerous Game”—the name brings visions of charging buffalos, a black-maned lion, and the ears-back head-down charge of a tusker! That vision guided us when we developed the perfect rifle for these situations. The core of the DGR is our Model 1999 Professional Hunter (PH) action. The PH is a double square bridge Mauser style action with the controlled round feed that’s demanded by professional hunters worldwide. The African is also available in our Model 1999 long action. Both actions feature a three position wing safety for safe and easy loading and unloading. Their Mauser style extractors provide consistent round ejection and ensure a smooth feed of the following cartridge. The DGR is offered in chromoly blued steel and is housed in an american black walnut stock. The Dangerous Game Rifle comes in a wide array of desirable PH Calibers!

View attachment 268897
A great rifle.

I asked the same question about their "Alaska" rifle with a 458 Lott weighing in at less than 7#.
Ron said it would be more like 7 lb 8 oz with a heavier barrel...etc
Also, long action is long action and will not be available with the PH action.
This has to do with the bolt head diameter, larger ones get the PH action and smaller the LA.
Also has to do with manufacturing cost as MRC is trying to keep the price down to make it more affordable to the masses.
I believe MRC has made a good product here, but there are some things I believe need to be present on an "African" rifle that are missing.
Barrel band sling swivel, banded-hooded front sight, better rear sight and double-square bridge for all calibers top my list.
For now this is what they are doing.
Here is the thread.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...the-alaskan-from-montana-rifle-company.47895/

No sir- the action is too long and thus we have major feeding issues when we try it! Ditto the Lott
Ron

My question:
I have a buddy that supplies some of the finest wood to stock makers and I often find some fantastic stock wood, can I supply my own wood blank for a rifle? I have a piece of Tiger Myrtle that would beg to go on a 375 or 404 Jeff.
We would have to out source this to a stock maker, let me check with a local guy who makes stocks for Kilamanjori-or however you spell tis!

Ron,
I really appreciate you answering my question or at least attempting with the stock maker!
Randy

So, to clairify, the 404J comes in at an actual 6lbs, 15oz???

Another thing I can't seem to find anywhere online - what is the magazine capacity of these rifles in their respective chamberings?

Thanks for answering my questions. One more as I am very interested in a 404. Is there a wood upgrade available?

Ron, it seems like I remember seeing a previous post showing a 404 Jeffery in a different model in stainless with a synthetic stock weighing in at roughly 7 lbs. At the time I thought it would cater to sheep and or mountain hunters. I was hoping that you would be offering a wood stocked blued barrel and that it would weigh more. I thought that wood stocks generally out weigh synthetic ones, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Ron, I really like the look of this rifle and can tell you have listened to our feedback, while also making the business decisions necessary.

I also like to hear that a barrel band swivel can be requested. I am down here in the bitterroot and am looking for a 375 or 404 or maybe a 9.3x62 depending on price and options.

Do we have a timeline on when we find out price and when we could order, and then expect delivery?

Found pricing on website

Starting at $1849 long action or $2899 for PH action.

Omigod!! The caliber of my dreams and at a very great price. My only concern is that it seems awfully light for a 404 without going to the PH. But, I guess for half the price I can stand a little more recoil. That's what they make Past Shoulder Pads for. Now begins the age old battle between the devil and the angel on my shoulders.

Devil: you know you always wanted one, so go for it.
Angel: You don't need it. You have a 375 which is close.
Devil: So what. This is a real African classic.
Angel: You can't afford it.
Devil: That's not that much and you can come up with it.
Angel: Think of the cost of dies, brass and bullets.
Devil:You can get those online quite cheap.
Angel: You can use only one gun at a time and you have dg and pg calibers already.
Devil: Yeah, but this will do double duty.
Angel: So will your 375 and a lot cheaper ammo.
Devil: You still have enough years to make it worthwhile.
Angel: You're almost 79 years old. How long do you think you can keep up this foolishness?
Devil: African hunting is not foolishness. It's a passion and you have plenty of time.
Angel: Why don't you think about it for awhile. You've got a big hunt coming up in April. See what happens after that.
Devil: Remember: He who hesitates is lost.

And on and on.

Devil: Remember: He who hesitates is lost.
I don't know who said that originally but I had a flashback to my HS Football coach who preached that all the time.
"He who hesitates is lost" usually followed by "...at least hit SOMEBODY".

So what did I learn?
Don't hesitate, make a decision and stick with it.
Get the gun, what are you gonna do live forever?
Enjoy the here & now, and if that means another firearm...so be it if it makes you happy.

Let us know how it goes with the voices in your head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross