USAN

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
The .270 WSM
by Wayne van Zwoll

The .270 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum), arrived in 2001. Like the .300 WSM that pioneered the series, it is a true short-action number, with a hull just 2.10 inches long. The .535 base is a near match for bolt faces machined for the .532 bases of most belted magnums. It was inherited from the .404 Jeffery (circa 1910), whose case has produced quite a few rimless hot-rods, including Dakota’s line of mid-length magnums. The .270 WSM has a steep 35-degree shoulder and does not feed as smoothly as longer, more traditional rounds – including the belted .270 Weatherby, which preceded it by nearly six decades. But the .270 WSM packs considerable power into that compact hull. It outperforms the .270 Winchester by more than it trails the Weatherby.

Soon after the cartridge appeared, I managed to snare a prototype Browning A-Bolt rifle in .270 WSM. Factory-loaded 130 Ballistic Silvertips crossed my Oehler sky screens at 3,290 fps, 140 Fail Safes at 3,115. Both equaled chart speeds, even from the modest 23-inch barrel. This A-Bolt was very accurate. One three-shot group measured under an inch and a half – at 300 yards! Browning let me take the rifle on a do-it-yourself elk hunt in Wyoming. Two weeks later, I was climbing in snow.

Not until the last day of that trip did I find elk. Still-hunting through black timber on the cusp of a storm, I slipped into a small herd. A cow examined me intently, then ghosted off. Suddenly, a young bull eased across an opening. He hunched at the shot, spun, sprinted and fell dead. He was, I believe, the first bull elk taken with a .270 WSM. The storm broke as I tugged him onto a grassy bench.

When Norma began loading ammunition for the .270 WSM, Winchester’s Fail Safe had already been dropped for other designs. The selection of .277 bullets available Stateside was expanding, however. Eventually Norma would adopt the 130-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and the 140-grain Barnes Triple-Shock. It would add the 150-grain Oryx, a bonded bullet for tough game. The Oryx, still young, has earned quite a reputation afield as an alternative to the likes of the Swift A-Frame, Federal Trophy Bonded and Nosler Partition. I’m keen on lead-core bullets that open reliably to over double-diameter but stay intact to plow straight, deep wound channels. The Oryx is one of few bullets that perform this way in thick muscle and heavy bone. It gets high marks from moose hunters in Sweden, and in Africa for sturdy plains game. The tapered, gilding metal jacket is scored at the nose for easy upset. Thicker at the shank, it is “soldered” to the core, resisting fragmentation when blasting through bone. A heavy heel resists deformation. In a test, Norma sectioned an Oryx’s front end so only the central third of the bullet remained attached to the heel. When that nose slab was twisted 90 degrees, it did not break!

More recently, Norma has announced Kalahari cartridges, with a new solid-copper, tapered-heel hollowpoint bullet. The scored nose opens readily; the shank drives on to scramble the vitals, tear muscle and shatter bones – then exit. A proprietary coating limits fouling. The sleek Kalahari bullets appear only in specially labeled Norma ammunition, which includes (with eight other chamberings) a 120-grain load for the .270 WSM. Kalahari ammo I’ve fired from the bench has turned in exceptional accuracy.

While the current list of Norma’s line includes the 130-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip load for the .270 WSM, only the 120-grain Kalahari and 150-grain Oryx loads fall under the NormaUSA banner. This pair gives the cartridge great versatility. From pronghorns across a broad stretch of prairie, to elk and moose in the alders, you won’t go wrong with a rifle in .270 WSM – and Norma ammunition!

watermark.php

watermark.php

In .270 WSM, Norma-USA offers this 120-grain Kalahari load, and a 150-grain Oryx for tough game.

watermark.php

From left, .270 WSM (introduced 2001), .270 Winchester (1925), .270 Weatherby Magnum (1943).

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a weatherby vanguard 270wsm in my picture, shot lots of pigs up in Cape York with it 140 grain Nozler bt & AR2213 SC, Winchester brass is poor quality i use mostly Federal.
Winchester & Browning have just released a new version of the 270 WSM called the 6.8 Western a shorter case & longer neck and rifles with 1 in 8 twist .I do not under stand this Bob Nelson 35 Whelen guy who claims 270 are no good & says they are just a jump up from a 243 win and is wraped up in 25 cal rifles.

That is a weatherby vanguard 270wsm in my picture, shot lots of pigs up in Cape York with it 140 grain Nozler bt & AR2213 SC, Winchester brass is poor quality i use mostly Federal.
Winchester & Browning have just released a new version of the 270 WSM called the 6.8 Western a shorter case & longer neck and rifles with 1 in 8 twist .I do not under stand this Bob Nelson 35 Whelen guy who claims 270 are no good & says they are just a jump up from a 243 win and is wraped up in 25 cal rifles.
You may not agree with his opinion, but you are new here and you will learn to respect it.

I could take offense to your reply.
I see that you are from Canada and it is obvious that you do not understand Australian scene of humor, I have great respect for Bob, as an fallow Australian i am sure he realizes that i am having a " shot " at him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg