The 2016 Expedition 1880 Era Black Powder Hunt At Weltevreden Farm In Limpopo South Africa

Thank you TallGrassHunter, the positive reply is much appreciated....yes , we only live once, in that time we need to enjoy life and share with those who have an interest in this kind of memories that tell stories, stories are the essence of life.(y)

One more photo:
P5072176_zpsydffdpla.jpg

Attachments

• P5072176_zpsydffdpla.jpg
    P5072176_zpsydffdpla.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:
One more photo:
P5072176_zpsydffdpla.jpg

Now that's a handsome group of Voortrekkers if I ever saw one.

Remind me not to mess with the Huguenots, Dutch and the Brits. When they put their minds to it and colonize rough country they aren't to be trifled with!

Rookhawk, yes the old people were a tough bunch....(y)

This is an amazing event! I wish we could do this where I live, But I doubt that there are enough guys who would be willing to do it for a week. I particularly love the skills practiced in camp with period appropriate tools!

ChrisG, start with two or three friends who is interested in this type of hunt. Collect/hand make articles /items of a specific era and try to re-enact the era you deiced on ...if you wait for a lot of hunters to join and do this type of hunt for one long week, I am sure it will never happen, every one participate in this type of hunt needs to chime in and give something of himself...it really is a rewarding experience ...on our side we have about the perfect group to do this hunt every year...our aim is to keep on learning about the era and the way hunters went about living ...just do it!!!(y)

ChrisG, start with two or three friends who is interested in this type of hunt. Collect/hand make articles /items of a specific era and try to re-enact the era you deiced on ...if you wait for a lot of hunters to join and do this type of hunt for one long week, I am sure it will never happen, every one participate in this type of hunt needs to chime in and give something of himself...it really is a rewarding experience ...on our side we have about the perfect group to do this hunt every year...our aim is to keep on learning about the era and the way hunters went about living ...just do it!!!(y)

After I read this last night I actually went around and made some calls... For the most part I got the "That sounds really neat! I would love to do it. Let me know when you have it all set up and I will join you." Response. :( I wish people would just tell me no because that response is the " I'm agreeing it's neat, but when it comes down to it I will have better things to do." I don't want to go hunting and camping with people who aren't really into it - if I could get them to come at all... I guess I will have to keep looking and persuading. Thanks for the pics though! They are fantastic and allow those of us who weren't there to live vicariously through your experiences!

ChrisG, as I pointed out start small, build a group up as you go along , after the first outing and expedition you will get more people who want to participate. There are always people who want to experience a re-enactment hunt. Keep us informed. Have you decided on a theme already?

WOW! Thats amazing. Ive done quite a bit of re-enacting in the US and some black powder hunting; but almost none together and now I feel like I missed out on great opportunities.

Id love to hear more details about the firearms

Edelweiss. we only have a video in Afrikaans, I will make sure we make a video in English about the rifles we use.

I will upload it ..maybe you will be able to follow the explanation...

Gert, dit lyk moer lekker.

Dankie my broer.

Ive visited this thread several times. I love it! Id love to join you next year... let me know if you ever consider having "outsiders" join as clients???

For CHRIS--Im in Maryland but Im open to travel for a cool hunt and Id bet some other guys are too. If youre really serious and have a spot to do this, or even just public hunting grounds, then maybe we should "talk"--I'll start another thread

Edelweiss, I will come back to you in this regards. I have invited Flatwater Bill for next year`s event 2017. Flatwater Bill confirmed his participation already. I am currently compiling the attendance list. We are able to accommodate twelve hunters. Let me confirm your request with Willie Barnard, the owner of the Weltevreden cattle farm where we do this hunt. We are currently working on another 1880 Era Black powder hunt on a well stocked game farm where we want hunters from abroad to attend this hunt , we will then run the camp set up while the hunters hunt , catering for the participating hunters. It will consist of a package hunt with the option to hunt more types of game available on the list .(y)

This is an amazing event! I wish we could do this where I live, But I doubt that there are enough guys who would be willing to do it for a week. I particularly love the skills practiced in camp with period appropriate tools!

There is an event right in your backyard in the ADK's.

NY State Muzzleloaders have an annual rendezvous in Moose River Plains area every year. Mid October.

Here's Facebook page with meeting details and such.

https://www.facebook.com/New-York-State-Muzzleloaders-Assoc-332212920185684/

We are fortunate to have a venue like Weltevreden cattle farm that is game fenced in to ensure a well stock game population from leopard, hyena, baboon ,kudu, impala warthog and Reed buck...we are hunting kudu, Impala and warthog for biltong and venison.

When the black powder hunt on the game farm materialise there will definitely be more species to hunt ...we will provide all the necessary camping equipment needed to cater for the hunters. All the hunter needs to bring along is himself and his rifle.(y)
I will give some feedback in this regards.
I think it prudent if members who wanted to participate in such a hunt give his perception / ideas regarding what he expected of such a hunt.
Keep in mind the type of hunt is what you see in the thread about the Weltevreden black powder re-enactment hunt...no frills, bell or whistles ....(y)

Members, dates for the next Weltevreden 1882 black powder hunt is set: The hunt will commence on the 6 th of May 2017 to the 14 th May 2017:

6-7 th May - Pitching camp
8-12 th May - Hunting
13-14 th May - Braking camp and departing

Good day members.
This year will see us getting two extremely knowledgeable members as an addition to the participation of the hunt. Dr. Wallace Vosloo, Nuclear physicist and Black powder rifle shot par excellence as well as Clive Cheney, former Kruger National Park Game Ranger from the golden era , the 1980 era..a brilliant Nature Conservation officer and survivalist .....Bill, our forum member experience ill -health at this moment and I really hope he will still be able to join us on this hunt...(y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg