The 2016 Expedition 1880 Era Black Powder Hunt At Weltevreden Farm In Limpopo South Africa

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders & Black Powder' started by Gert Odendaal, May 7, 2016.

1. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
    @Gert Odendaal looking forward to hearing all about this years hunt! You guys really do an outstanding job recreating and sharing the history. Much appreciated.

2. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    It seems this year will be a year where a lot of videos/articles will be made about our activities in the camp, discussions about the different black powder rifles and meat processing as well..(y)

Velo Dog and rinehart0050 like this.

3. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    A few photos of my "Velskoene " I am making, the left shoe is completed , all stitching is done..the right side shoe will follow soon...still need to make holes for the shoe laces....
    The soles of my shoes:
    [​IMG]

More progress: Shoes in lasts, I pre-glued the parts together to make it easier for myself to do the stitching.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Left shoe stitching completed:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will die these velskoene to a more acceptable brown /sand tan color...(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2017
    spike.t, Velo Dog and rinehart0050 like this.

4. rinehart0050

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, NC, MD, AZ, TX)
    @Gert Odendaal I really enjoy and appreciate what you and your friends are doing.

It reminds me of civil war reenactors in the USA, but for a subject matter I find more compelling- hunting in Africa!

(nothing against civil war reenactors of course)

5. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Rinehart, thank you..yes these type of foot ware really assist you in improving your stalking capabilities..it is soft on the ground, can take some thorns as well...you wear these shoes without any socks at all...if you really want to get close to the game you just take these shoes off and continue the stalk with bare feet,...(y)(y)

rinehart0050 likes this.

6. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    I managed to complete the other velskoen stitching work as well today. Next step, to make holes and tread leather shoe laces through. I then will do something about this strange color...:LOL::LOL::LOL: A few photos :
    Stitching work:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two velskoene completed:
    [​IMG]
    Still need to make the shoe lace holes...leather shoe strings...two shoes with the lasts:
    [​IMG]
    Some equipment used:
    [​IMG]

Still need to put some tan/brown type of die on the Velskoene...(y)

Attached Files:

spike.t, Velo Dog and Wheels like this.

7. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Members, I noticed the cellphone photos being a khaki color while my SLR Camera gives a original red color...these photos are all of the same pair I am constructing ...If possible I will color the "veldskoen" the color of the cellphone photo show..the left shoe seems a little bit larger than the right foot..especially at the front..I will stitch the front part a little further back tomorrow...(y)(y)

8. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    This is still an old 2016 Era Black powder hunt 1881 thread..but I am using it as a preparation for the 2017 Black powder hunt coming up in May 2017. Here are some pictures of re-loading the Martini Henry ....these are cellphone photos...:
    The huge Martini Henry dies:
    [​IMG]
    Components :
    Brass, cotton, wax cookie, milk cart disks...
    [​IMG]
    Re-loaded items:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What an impressive bunch of ammo...(y)(y):LOL::LOL:

Attached Files:

9. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Willie Barnard plays the American National anthem ...this will be played for Bill when he arrives at camp....(y)(y)

Bill, we are looking forward to the hunt, really hope to see you at camp...(y)(y)

jasyblood and Velo Dog like this.

10. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Members I am using this thread to show some preparations I am currently doing for the 2017 Black Powder hunt. I made a belt sliding Martini Henry ammo pouch/holder. This is the first one, I am currently commenced with a second one for Johan Greyling.
    Here are cellphone photos of this procedure:
    These are the pieces of thick cow hide you need:
    [​IMG]
    Molding a piece of leather around a 12 mm diameter round bar after you soaked the leather and clamped it in a vice. Then I stitch the molding to keep the shape..
    [​IMG]
    Cutting a slit into the base piece and pull the extension piece through..flatten the two sides and glue it flat at the back of the base piece..
    [​IMG]
    Nearly finished..need to die the leather and do some finishing work..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now it needs some die..to get it to be brown,,,(y)(y):LOL:

Attached Files:

11. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Update: Members, we will be driving to Weltevreden farm for our annual black powder hunt on Saturday. I will this year add a descriptive thread about this hunt on our forum. I did not managed to get the Martini Henry to group . I now will take along a .45 cal Ardessa Hunter with. As a bonus I will be taking along a .500 cal. black powder double rifle over and under as well, it shoot with 90 gn FFg , and a 500 gn cast bullet...I am looking forward to see this rifle group. I really would like to shoot a warthog with this rifle...(y)(y)(y)

Velo Dog, rinehart0050 and Wheels like this.

12. rinehart0050

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Wishing you good hunting on your expedition this year- really looking forward to enjoying your report.

Best of luck to your shoulder with that .500 black powder double!

13. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Unfortunately I am not allowed to take the .500 double rifle with me anymore, it is not a representative item of the 1882 era ....

14. rinehart0050

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
  15. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    Gert, what a fantastic post. I'm looking forward to your 2017 report. I was wondering if any of the participants used a Hawken style rifle. I do not have an original Hawken just a Thompson Center replica of it. As part of my Hunter Education Classes I load an shoot my Hawken rifle at an 8" dia. balloon at 100 yards offhand. Luckily I've never missed. I close my demonstration with the comment "that these old guns are not toys."

16. BC.Pat

BC.Pat AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Botswana , Namibia, Sierra Leone
    Gert , as many other have said I just wanted to add my thanks to the list. Very grateful to you and your fellow "Voortrekkers" to allow us to see and be reminded of the spirit that still resides in each of us in some small way. It always amazes me to think of the fortitude of these individuals and inspires me to my own small adventures.
    again Thank you.
    Gratefully
    Pat

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Velo Dog likes this.

17. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    +1

18. Kowas Hunting Safaris

Kowas Hunting Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAPHA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA and ZIMBABWE and SOUTH AFRICA
  19. Gert Odendaal

Gert Odendaal AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SAJW
    Members, Kowas, Velo dog and Pat with Shootist 43, it really is great to get these positive replies from you guys...yes, this type of hunting is incredible and rewarding as well. If all goes well next year will see us a member of this forum, Flatwater Bill join us as well as a hunter from Norway who will be bringing his wife as well and a Krag Jorganson 6.5x55 while Flat water Bill will bring a 1871/84 Black powder Mauser ....we will have two oxen as well to be able to tow the kudu bull we need to hunt to the camp....(y)(y)(y)(y):LOL:

BC.Pat likes this.