tap

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Let me just start by saying this is an awesome site. I'm sorry Jerome but I cheated on you. I ventured over to another site to see how the discussions were and all I can say is wow. In a matter of 1 post I successfully pissed off every elephant hunter on that site. I received several private messages from the guys bragging about how many elephants they hunted and how hard and difficult they were to hunt. Long story short is that they were bragging on how many ele's they had shot in PM's. I was told that if I can't afford to hunt the real animals that I need to go another website.

Can't say I've every believed someone hunts to brag about how much they paid for an animal and how many times they've done it but I've just witnessed such hunters. I've got into some semi heated discussions on here before but I can honestly say that the people on here have class. I've met you in person as well Jerome and I absolutely know you have class as well. You bust your ass to help guys like me, that you barely know, to have an exceptional hunt. If I had a glass to raise I'd sure as hell be raising it to you right now Jerome.

Here's to a good site and good people.

Tap

Been there also...

Just to read and see what on there site...went to see post of double rifle and big bore rifles.

AH is easier to maneuver through and more polite, if i do say so...

After checking it out there a few weeks ago i would never post on that site.If you dont hunt elephant,lion or buff your not worthy of being onn that site.More good people here and even when things come to a head here people stay classy.Best site I have been part of for sure.Great site jerome andyou should be proud of what you have made of it.Tony just better keep your knucklehead self away from there death threats are next.lol

Kudo's or Kudu's Jerome, Love this site have not ventured from it. Think I might go piss some folks off tonight, HA. I don't know Elephants, but I know guns, I think I'm gonna go have some fun.:p;):samurai::samurai::samurai:

I agree Tap, this site is the best. Hats off to Jerome and to all on here who keep things freindly, interesting, provocative, entertaining and at its worst at least civil.

Cheers

I post on four sites. Not as much as I use to. AH has been a good site and in general more polite.

Tony, you went on the other site to stir crap. If you act like an ass and make outlandish claims (400 yard running Mule deer shots) you will be hammered.

No more than I would sit by and watch AH being criticized on another site I will not let another site be unfairly judged on here.

I'm sorry I didn't make any outlandish claims. I grew up dirt poor in New Mexico. When your dad threatens you with bodily harm if you miss an animal when your 10 you tend to do something well. In New Mexico we don't have much vegitation or at least where I hunt. Our average shot when I was a kid on muleys was about 300 yards. Its wide open and no place to hide. Combine that with public land hunting pressure and all you have to shoot at is running deer if you can find one. And yes I shot deer all the time at 400 yards running and I still do. How did I learn to do that? coyotes run even faster and about 20% of the time I can knock them down at a dead run over 300 yards away. Granted I use a perfect rest and don't shoot free hand but its just how it is. When you grow up in the west you tend to get very good a long range shooting especially if you hunt public lands. I'm sorry if I offend guys on here but 400 yards isn't a very long shot. I don't start worrying about that till about 800 yards. Then it get tricky as only a 30 yard error in range estimation will put you over a foot off. I will honestly tell you guys I consistently kill most of my animals over 1000 yards. Just 2 years ago my wife used my trg 42 in 338 lapua mag to put a 1 shot 1 kill on her navajo indian rez bull at 981 yards. I have a drop chart custom built in the field (not on a computer) that gives me corrections every 20 yards out to 1200 yards. My trg is reloaded with lapua 250 gr scenar bullets to 2985 fps with a bc of i believe .687. I tighten the neck tension down another 3/1000 of an inch to obtain sub 1/4 moa groups and my average group at 1000 yards is around 6 inches. sorry to rant but all I do is spend thousands of rounds at a time shooting long range as its my passion obtained as a kid. Im not bragging im just stating that to me a 400 yard shot is easy. As for not liking to hunt elephants I am sorry. I have no desire to do so and as I stated on AR I did not mean to make anyone mad. As for you mike I am surprised to hear I'm on your bad side. I by no means meant to stir anyone over there. I simply read the forum judged it as a non friendly sight for high fenced hunters and asked in a public forum if that was correct before I posted anything there. After I got raked over the coals for stating I had no desire to hunt ele's because "its not my cup of tea" I decided to remove my account and stay over here.

Let me state one last thing. By no means did I ever mean to stir a pot nor did I mean to upset anyone. but yes I do have a hard time sitting back when people are bashing me and then send me PM's stating I hate elephant hunters because I can't afford to hunt one. I did discuss a double tusker hunt with my wife for this years anniversary but it was agreed that neither of us considered it a challenge for our own personal reasons. I just wasn't aware that posting I have shot deer at 400 yards running was offensive. My point was to state that I grew up hunting wide open spaces. In said spaces deer are leaving when you are anywhere between a mile and 300 yards. When they leave they run. When they run I was taught to shoot. This is the type of hunting I grew up with and was all I knew. I came accustomed to it and in my circle of friends you had to learn to hit these running targets on a regular basis or go home without. I found it an awesome challenge and continue to seek that type of challenge to this day. To me an elephant doesn't provide that level of a challenge therefore I don't wish to hunt one. Its only my opinion of what a good hunt is and it by no means implies I think less of anyone if they want to hunt elephants. It only means I wouldn't enjoy an elephant hunt.

In the future I will remember to refrain from mentioning the fact that I grew up dirt poor in a trailer house with my father frequently loosing his job which required us to be excellent marksmen when the time arose. When you depend on quail, rabbits, squirrels, deer, antelope and elk to fill you freezers you make every damn shot count because on the bigger animals you only get one tag a year. Does this make sense to you guys or have I offended someone again?

one last comment MIKE! not once have I received hate mail on AH. I have posted a lot and not once has someone told me what a horrible person I was. I made ONE post on the other site and I received 2 private messages cussing at me. One did mention my supposed bs shot at 400 yards on a running deer but the others called me inexperienced and not rich enough to hunt quote "ele's". Maybe I'm wrong but they seem like pretty low class people to me. would it make you mad mike if i told you my cousin and I call coyotes all year long and when they sit there at 800 yards and howl at you for 30 minutes that I average about 75% success on taking them out with one shot from my sako trg 42? its the truth and my favorite thing to do that most people don't believe is to shoot prairie dogs at 500 yards with my mcmillan tac50 50 bmg at which my current average is about 100%. As long as your laying down when you shoot anything over 100 yards to 800 yards I just don't see the problem as long as you have a range finder and a custom made drop chart that has been verified. Just learn the wind and your good.

The Clique: A small group of people with shared interests, who spend time together and exclude others.

Anything Novel, remarkable and extraordinary...

"First, it is ridiculed by those ignorant of its potential.
Next, it is subverted by those threatened by its potential.
Finally, it is considered self-evident."
Paul Moller 2004

T, you might take Georges advice.

"To persevere in one's duty and be silent is the best answer to calumny.'
George Washington

Just smile and keep on shooting straight.

AH is an inclusive forum, generally.
WELCOME!

one last comment MIKE! not once have I received hate mail on AH. I have posted a lot and not once has someone told me what a horrible person I was. I made ONE post on AR and I received 2 private messages cussing at me. One did mention my supposed bs shot at 400 yards on a running deer but the others called me inexperienced and not rich enough to hunt quote "ele's". Maybe I'm wrong but they seem like pretty low class people to me. would it make you mad mike if i told you my cousin and I call coyotes all year long and when they sit there at 800 yards and howl at you for 30 minutes that I average about 75% success on taking them out with one shot from my sako trg 42? its the truth and my favorite thing to do that most people don't believe is to shoot prairie dogs at 500 yards with my mcmillan tac50 50 bmg at which my current average is about 100%. As long as your laying down when you shoot anything over 100 yards to 800 yards I just don't see the problem as long as you have a range finder and a custom made drop chart that has been verified. Just learn the wind and your good.

tap, Please do not get offended here, I mean this in true fun. If you are shooting at prairie dogs with a 50BMG, in my experience with the BMG, you really just have to get close. I have done the prairie dog thing once with the BMG, lots of fun I must add. Reason I say take this in fun is that at 1600m I shot at a "target" and knocked it down. After careful examination, I must have just been close, because there was not a bullet hole to be found. LOL. One of the funniest things I have seen. So with Pdogs, hell a ft away would still kill. Happy hunting.

BTW, food stamps, melting snow in the winter for drinking water because the pipes froze up and mayo and government cheeze sandwiches. Oh yeah, "off season hunting", YOU did not offend me...

Tap,

My hunting reports are barely that long.

The lady (poster) doth protest too much, methinks.

I think we need to sit down and relax. Take it easy, let cooler heads prevail.

Well.....getting back to the thread, AH is a nice place to be in :thumb:

watermark.php

My favourite type of mud slinger. Chilling in his favourite pool!

Last edited by a moderator:
holy heck, its 115 degrees right now. mudslinging would definitely be welcome.

BTW ive ever seen any damage done on those stinking prairie dogs. u walk out to them and their just laying there dead. no blood no holes nothing. maybe your right. thats a bad ass gun if thats the case lol.

17 days guys and me n the wife are gone for a whole month and no 3 yr old 5 yr old or 13 yr old. what on earth will i do with myself in zim for a month. i will make sure i rub it in on a daily basis there brick. do some work for me while im gone will ya? hahaha

Tap, you just keep on a posting here in AH. He who is jealous or ignorant, ridicules. I can't afford a Ele hunt either let alone the double rifle they think you need to shoot one.

holy heck, its 115 degrees right now. mudslinging would definitely be welcome.

BTW ive ever seen any damage done on those stinking prairie dogs. u walk out to them and their just laying there dead. no blood no holes nothing. maybe your right. thats a bad ass gun if thats the case lol.

17 days guys and me n the wife are gone for a whole month and no 3 yr old 5 yr old or 13 yr old. what on earth will i do with myself in zim for a month. i will make sure i rub it in on a daily basis there brick. do some work for me while im gone will ya? hahaha

I couldnt find it on youtube but awhile back I watched a video of a 50bmg shooting prairie dogs. In one shot 3 or 4 of them were killed by shooting the mound they were standing on, very impressive. looks like alot of fun!

i will make sure i rub it in on a daily basis there brick. do some work for me while im gone will ya? hahaha

You get to do the hard part, just post some pictures.
I know you will suffer for our sakes, but try and survive the hardships!

Tap

I like you idea of dog hunting...

Many on here could use the practice with there large bore hunting rifle.

The part i like is all you have to do is hit the mound they are standing on to kill them out to 400 yards with my rifles.

Wind-age is a great learning tool on a prairie dog hunt.

Bets part is lining up more than one for the shot. best i have done is 6 with one bullet...

The day when you could shoot 1000 dogs in a day are long past from the popularity of the sport now. went to check my rancher's friend out last year and they now charge to shoot prairie dogs and i declined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross