AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
DALLAS - A measure offering constitutional protections for hunting and fishing in Texas has cleared both chambers of the legislature and will go before voters in November. DSC is lauding passage as another step to ensuring the future of traditional outdoor sports and their ties to successful wildlife conservation and management.

SJR 22 passed the Texas House of Representatives today with 111 of the 150 legislators voting in favor - well above the two-thirds majority required for passage.

The bill easily cleared the Senate last month.

"We applaud and congratulate all of the lawmakers who voted to protect not only our state's outdoor heritage, but also a lifestyle close to hearts of millions of Texans who enjoy hunting, fishing, wildlife and wild places," said Ben Carter, DSC executive director. "Our club was proud to work with Rep. Ashby and Sen. Creighton to pass this critical legislation. We look forward to working with them and our partner organizations for a positive vote in November."

Carter says the goal behind the effort to amend the Texas constitution is preempting a growing national trend by out-of-state animal rights groups who fund ad campaigns, ballot initiatives, lawsuits and sponsored legislation to chip away at hunting and fishing.

Eighteen states have already added proactive amendments to their constitutions.

Rep. Trent Ashby (R-Lufkin), who had previously introduced a companion measure in the House and worked hard for passage of SJR 22, said, "The passage of the Right to Hunt and Fish constitutional amendment from the House today ensures the voters of Texas have the opportunity to solidify this right for future Texans. By placing this on the November ballot, we have given all Texans the right to pass on our outdoor heritage to the coming generations."

Sen. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe), who authored SJR 22, said, "With recent lawsuits across the country successfully denying citizens certain hunting rights, our state's strong sporting heritage is threatened and needs protection now more than ever. It has been a privilege to work alongside Rep. Ashby in this landmark passage to secure our right to hunt, fish, and preserve our natural habitats here in Texas."

"Thank you to the Dallas Safari Club, National Rifle Association and over 60 sportsmen's organizations for their strong support of this legislation. I am eager for it be presented to our voters this November," added Creighton.

Carter wrote a newspaper opinion-editorial about the economic and other benefits that could stem from Creighton and Ashby's legislative efforts. The op-ed appeared in the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram,Corpus Christi Caller-Times and Tyler Morning Telegraph.

Source: Dallas Safari Club (DSC)

Well done Texas!

Yes, I hope other states like mine that have strong hunting traditions do the same.

great to see some positive measures , taken to ensure , future generations get enjoy , the freedom to choose what their fore fathers see as a god given right ..........

Good work Texas

Texas is a great state. Was I Dallas yesterday and today and overheard two men talking about this law. They were very pleased but not sure about its future.

We need more states like Texas. I wish we could drop Texas right onto NY. Damn liberal democrat state...

Well its sounds great, but Texas Parks and Wildlife still has the power to ban, limit, etc. any game animal. So this only works as long as the there are hunter friendly running Park and Wildlife. Once the anti crowd figure out the way to ban hunting is to work at the agency that regulates the activity, it might be all over.

Well its sounds great, but Texas Parks and Wildlife still has the power to ban, limit, etc. any game animal. So this only works as long as the there are hunter friendly running Park and Wildlife. Once the anti crowd figure out the way to ban hunting is to work at the agency that regulates the activity, it might be all over.

While the regulatory responsibilities still stay with Texas Parks and Wildlife, I think the power of this legislation ... assuming that it is approved ... is that 2/3 of our elected officials and the majority of our voters support hunting, the hunting heritage, the conservation benefit of hunting, and the economic benefit of hunting. This is a powerful statement and one that I hope comes to full fruition in our great state of Texas!!!!

God Bless Texas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeraldineI

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!