Texas pig hunt

Nope. The landowner told me that it and a sister Duroc showed up 7 years ago in the trophy hog pasture and the chase dogs ignored them. So he left them alone to breed and grow more pigs.
They just happened to be out in the open the morning I hunted there.
One .308 shot was all it took to bring it down but it took a front end loader to bring it to the cleaning station.
I double tipped the girl that skinned and cut up the hog because it was twice the size of the usual 300 pounders.

Congrats, grizzly toothy bugger isn't he. With that many hogs around, is the meat consumed?

Big cutters for sure. I quarter the hogs I shoot, let them stay in the big ice chest for a few days and keep pouring fresh ice over them, as it melts it helps to leach out any strong tastes. Mine were not that big, there is always sausage, seasoned to taste!

Those big boars are not really table fare, they really stink. Smaller sows are good but this state is so over run with these wild pigs we typically shoot and feed the other wildlife. The state allows for that practice on pigs. Their population grows so fast you can’t shoot your way out of them. Those old boars are smart and are hard to take. They don’t see well but smell and hear really well.

That is good to know. I only have experience with hogs in the 60-80 pound range. The meat has been great so far. I am considering visiting Texas again just to hunt hogs. Hog hunting is more exciting to me than chasing Whitetails. I am aware that hog depredations cost agribusiness close to 2 Billion dollars a year, translates into higher food prices all around. Yet, I have to explain myself to non hunters. Thanks for your insight. Have a great and safe holidays

Does anyone have a recipe for wild boar pate?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross