Texas—Safe to travel there?

I'd make a side trip to hunt javelina and wild hog regardless of how your entourage feels about it. I made a side trip after my nieces wedding and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

From CO to TX gulf coast?- think seafood, margaritas or cold Corona with lime depending on preference, swimming, snorkeling, fishing and refrigerated air 24-7. It's inevitable, so make the most of it :) Have a good trip and safe drive.

You should stop by. I’m near San Angelo and right on your way.
You will have a nice time in Port A. We will head all the way down to South Padre Island in a couple weeks. Everyone we know just goes to Port A since it’s closer. The beach and the climate at S. Padre is amazing. Clean beautiful sand and you are so far South it is truly sub tropical and I can feel the difference.
Have a great trip!
Philip

Be optimistic about the weather and do not worry - it may change. Here in NE Texas we have a pleasant breeze from the Gulf and with luck we will complete all scheduled outdoor work before afternoon nap time, then the evening will be pleasant while I pack for an extended range trip to test my new loads for my Beretta .458 DR.

Well, were not camping on an island, so I guess it's next to the crappy beach. This is my wife's idea and I'm just the chauffeur. It's the reason I didn't check out an African hunt this summer. To top it off, my mother in law and her friend are riding in our truck with us. They are both very nice, but it's not my idea of FUN! I know, it sucks to be me, but she'll pay for it next year when she sees an African hunt invoice! Ha! Ha!

To make your drive more pleasant get a Capstick audio book for the drive, do those even exist?, and tell her that's the trade-off for missing Africa.

I’ll give you some sarcasm, the area between Pecos and Midland is definitely the prettiest part of Texas! You’ll be missing out if you don’t detour to drive through it.
I believe if they were going to give Texas an enema they would stick the tube in about Monahans

I love my mother-in-law, but driving anywhere with her is...not pleasant to put it mildly. To take her on a long drive I'd have to be slipping her copious amounts of sleepy juice! Hope you have a great trip...Texas is a place I'd really love to explore. Post fishing pics!

I would say avoid Texas at all costs!!!! The weather is totally unpredictable could be 30 degrees and snowing in the morning 103 degrees at noon and the hurricane will hit about 6pm. The people....can't forget the people they're like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. Not to mention the summer population of great whites off the coast around Port A. The state bird is the mosquito they now carry about 400,000 different viruses. Enter Texas at your own risk!

Just kidding you'll have a blast...with maybe the exception of the estrogen levels in the vehicle for around 16-18 hours...yikes. I will say it's not the most scenic route...I assume you'll be heading south out of Sweetwater to Ballinger, Menard, Junction then east on I-10 to San Antonio on to I-37. But beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I just returned from there yesterday.
Be aware the beach is covered by thousands of people. Lol
The ferry only took 45 minutes each way and we did it twice since we stayed in aransas pass.
Fished 3 days. Flounder, reds, cats,
And a small hammerhead

20210607_231637.jpg
20210605_080133.jpg
20210606_115255.jpg
198913.jpeg

I don't know about the panhandle, but we're staying in Sweetwater (I'll bet it's not) @103F after I drive for 13 hours. Tell me it's not as BORING as driving through New Mexico or through Utah/Nevada to Vegas?
No offense to the fine folks who live in Sweetwater, but there is not a thing there but Wind Turbines for miles and Rattle Snakes. There is a decent place for BBQ - Big Boy's BBQ.

I just returned from there yesterday.
Be aware the beach is covered by thousands of people. Lol
The ferry only took 45 minutes each way and we did it twice since we stayed in aransas pass.
Fished 3 days. Flounder, reds, cats,
And a small hammerhead

View attachment 406397View attachment 406398View attachment 406399View attachment 406400

Uh those aren't "cats" as in catfish they are gafftop and not sure too many people eat them. At least they don't appear to be hardheads :oops:

There are some decent places to eat and a few outdoor patios places occasionally with local live music and cold beer. It's laid back, beach atmosphere for sure. Corpus Christi is only 30 minute drive if you need something bigger to do. I'm not coming down next week or I'd invite you out to the ranch to shoot hogs which is only 30 miles from Port A (that's what the locals call it- Port A) . Fishing is spotty since the freeze killed a bunch of trout in Feb but beats sitting in the RV. You should be safe but there are a lot of local meth heads around. You'll know them if they are wearing white rubber boots :LOL:

1623343150211.png

Top Dining places

Uh those aren't "cats" as in catfish they are gafftop and not sure too many people eat them. At least they don't appear to be hardheads :oops:
All gaftops yes. And the guy that took me says they taste the same. Just clean the red meat off. But I have not tried them yet. Lol

It is safe to go anywhere you want so far you are allowed to carry.

I have no idea where Pecos and Midland are, but alas, I do have a Rand McNally map. But, it would be up to my "entourage" to decide whether or not I should/would/could deviate from the chosen path. I'll tell them YOU said they'll be missing out on the unicopia of Texas should they decide not to stray from their chosen route.
I'm one of those crazy people who thinks the sublime West Texas is in fact quite beautiful.

I second everything said so far. Stop in San Antonio. It’s worth it even though it’s the 7th largest city in the USA.

Does anyone remember the bow hunt only season in the AP wildlife area? Used to be the first week in October when I was TDY Ft Sam Houston. Great dear and hog hunting. Do they still have this?

Great fishing as well as Lots of Gators.
I second this notion. Two places you've got to stop and eat, one on The River Walk, one near it.

On the river walk, there are a few BBQ joints. IMO they're all delicious.

Off the river walk, but not far from it, is Mi Tierra. Great texmex food, they've been around for more than a century. Do NOT pass up on the desserts. I've had them all, and they're all good, so you can't go wrong no matter which you might choose. I'm partial to flan in general, but if custard isn't your thing, there are lots of other choices.

Those white rubber boots are called “shrimper rebooks”….:ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeilaLemie

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg