Tell me why buying a Rifle chambered in 6MM Remington is stupid

It easily and RELIABLY kills far heavier game than that. Shot placement is key. I've taken several moose and elk over the years with it. But yes, it's ideally made for deer size game and smaller, and it does an amazing job at it!

Well Bob,
When people are shooting a 6mm they really aren't afraid of what's on the receiving end. Besides if anyone gets to hunt Australia, if you get in trouble you can always say something bad about a 35 Whelen and Bob will pop out of the bushes to defend it and you can catch a ride back with him. I like the diameter of the bullets. I happen to have a .243. It has bigger siblings. I will prevail.

As far as a rifle purchase being stupid, wrong guy. Last rifle I bought was a brand new caliber and I had the ammunition 2 weeks ahead of the rifle.

I once had an octagon barreled Browning single shot in 6 mm Remington. It was a fine rifle. I sold it to buy my wife her engagement ring. I don’t regret buying the ring but I should have found something else to sell!

Well Bob,
When people are shooting a 6mm they really aren't afraid of what's on the receiving end. Besides if anyone gets to hunt Australia, if you get in trouble you can always say something bad about a 35 Whelen and Bob will pop out of the bushes to defend it and you can catch a ride back with him. I like the diameter of the bullets. I happen to have a .243. It has bigger siblings. I will prevail.

As far as a rifle purchase being stupid, wrong guy. Last rifle I bought was a brand new caliber and I had the ammunition 2 weeks ahead of the rifle.
@Forrest Halley
Young Mr Halley. No rifle purchase is stupid. On the other hand some choices ill informed, or unwise. If someone wants to buy and heaven forbid use a 243 them for the love of god match the bullet to the game. So many people don't do this and turn a halfway useful cartridge into a hopeless cartridge.
You may say all the bad things you like about the Whelen, I don't need to defend it. The intelligentsia of the hunting world understand it's benefits over many others but don't bemoan or belittle anyone who owns something else. All we intelligentsia can hope to do is educate the uneducated.
By the way I am a 25 cal fan as well. There ain't no flies on a 25 cal 100grain TTSX @3,600+fps or a 115gn nosler combined technology silver tip @ 3,350+fps and that's out of a non magnum. I don't see many 6mms doing that. Oh that's right they can't.
Just curious as to what you did buy that you had to wait for the ammo for, you have me interested.
Bob.

Why getting a 6mm is stupid.....Not stupid.

Now getting a 5mm or a 17 Rem....maybe. But only because finding factory ammo and factory components to reload are next to impossible to find.

However, I am still looking to get one of each.

I love the 243, I killed a lot of deer with that caliber. But what hurt the six MM is when it first came out they used the wrong twist rate. It would only stabilize light bullets. Bullets of 100 grains would not stabilize with the twists they use. I believe it was called the 244 and they brought it out again as the six MM but it was too late.

I love the 243, I killed a lot of deer with that caliber. But what hurt the six MM is when it first came out they used the wrong twist rate. It would only stabilize light bullets. Bullets of 100 grains would not stabilize with the twists they use. I believe it was called the 244 and they brought it out again as the six MM but it was too late.
@larry4831
Remington bought it out with a 1 in twelve twist that would stabilize bullets up to 95 grains. It was gunwriters typewriters that stuffed it up By saying it wouldn't stabilize heavy bullets.Both the rifle and cartridge were fine, 95 grains kill just as well as 100grains.
Bob

It is NOT stupid from a performance standpoint, but most folks are in love with the 243 Win and resale of the 6mm makes it "stupid", so if you find one, you usually can buy it very reasonable.

@Forrest Halley
Young Mr Halley. No rifle purchase is stupid. On the other hand some choices ill informed, or unwise. If someone wants to buy and heaven forbid use a 243 them for the love of god match the bullet to the game. So many people don't do this and turn a halfway useful cartridge into a hopeless cartridge.
You may say all the bad things you like about the Whelen, I don't need to defend it. The intelligentsia of the hunting world understand it's benefits over many others but don't bemoan or belittle anyone who owns something else. All we intelligentsia can hope to do is educate the uneducated.
By the way I am a 25 cal fan as well. There ain't no flies on a 25 cal 100grain TTSX @3,600+fps or a 115gn nosler combined technology silver tip @ 3,350+fps and that's out of a non magnum. I don't see many 6mms doing that. Oh that's right they can't.
Just curious as to what you did buy that you had to wait for the ammo for, you have me interested.
Bob.
Bob,
You are one of my favorite people on the forum. I thoroughly enjoy your support of the .35 Whelen and my comment was in jest. Although quite ludicrous, I firmly believe that I could find you in a crowd if I but uttered the words, "I think I'll trade my .35 Whelen in for a .243." Haha.
The rifle that came after the ammunition was my treasured and revered .458 Lott. When Nosler had a sale on their ammunition at normal prices, I bought several hundred dollars worth. I then scoured the world looking for a Lott. I found one tucked away and bought on the spot. It was quite silly really. I was either going to end up with a Ruger No. 1 or a MRC bolt action. I lucked into the Ruger and here I have been since.
Best,
Forrest

Bob,
You are one of my favorite people on the forum. I thoroughly enjoy your support of the .35 Whelen and my comment was in jest. Although quite ludicrous, I firmly believe that I could find you in a crowd if I but uttered the words, "I think I'll trade my .35 Whelen in for a .243." Haha.
The rifle that came after the ammunition was my treasured and revered .458 Lott. When Nosler had a sale on their ammunition at normal prices, I bought several hundred dollars worth. I then scoured the world looking for a Lott. I found one tucked away and bought on the spot. It was quite silly really. I was either going to end up with a Ruger No. 1 or a MRC bolt action. I lucked into the Ruger and here I have been since.
Best,
Forrest
@Forrest Halley
I know it was in jest mate. If'n you did trade a Whelen for a 243 I would stand beside you thru your counselling sessions and make sure they were giving you the right medications for your lack of judgement.
If'n you traded the Whelen for a Lott I could understand.
How's Mrs Halley going with the new present for you.
Hopefully you are all keeping well.
Bob

All
@Forrest Halley
I know it was in jest mate. If'n you did trade a Whelen for a 243 I would stand beside you thru your counselling sessions and make sure they were giving you the right medications for your lack of judgement.
If'n you traded the Whelen for a Lott I could understand.
How's Mrs Halley going with the new present for you.
Hopefully you are all keeping well.
Bob
Hahaha! Kind of you to inquire sir! She is very happy and excited despite the morning sickness. I have ambition of teaching her to appreciate a rifle with a .243 as soon as possible. She is an AR heathen and believes that is a rifle. If she cannot be converted, I will have to make arrangements for a youth model rifle to teach the impending youngster the joys of riflery before he can be corrupted by his mother.

All

Hahaha! Kind of you to inquire sir! She is very happy and excited despite the morning sickness. I have ambition of teaching her to appreciate a rifle with a .243 as soon as possible. She is an AR heathen and believes that is a rifle. If she cannot be converted, I will have to make arrangements for a youth model rifle to teach the impending youngster the joys of riflery before he can be corrupted by his mother.
@Forrest Halley
Just get a 250 Savage upper and tell her it's a 243. Asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission. That way you you save inflicting it on the young one. Buy her a nice 250 Savage in a Ruger because they don't do a 243 upper or they are out of stock.
Haha haha
Bob.

Bob N.......the velocities you quote are almost exactly what I got with my 243.......quite a bit below many advertised loads.......in fact, it killed deer and antelope so well I thought it was blistering fast.....but when I got my first chronograph, my load of IMR 4350 driving a 105 grainer was about 2680, and a 100 grainer was 2780. ....so I see your point...........................FWB

I had a Rem 700 BDL in 243. I hunted deer, elk and black bear with it. My pet load was IMR 4350 and a 105g Speer spitzer. Got 3000 fps out of it. Loved that rifle. Didn't move up to a 270 until I started guiding, and was glad I did. Too many grizzlies in the Bob Marshal back then to be carrying a 243

I had a Rem 700 BDL in 243. I hunted deer, elk and black bear with it. My pet load was IMR 4350 and a 105g Speer spitzer. Got 3000 fps out of it. Loved that rifle. Didn't move up to a 270 until I started guiding, and was glad I did. Too many grizzlies in the Bob Marshal back then to be carrying a 243
@colorado
If'n I was going into grizzly country I wouldn't take a pussy little 243 or 270 I would grab my Whelen and 275 grain woodleigh PPSPs.
Bob.

I have to say that I would not be guiding folks with anything less than a .375. I just look at it from the perspective of everything is terribly wrong up close and I need a lot of power to put an end to a bad situation. Also I see that there could be a situation where you might need a long distance finishing shot to nail down an animal that someone has winged and the .375 does have reach over some of the big bore magnums which lose their legs over 200 yards.

The .243 beating out the 6mm is very unfortunate. If only it had been marketed properly and supported to its fullest potential. On the side note it was smart of Remington to bite the bullet and chamber in .243 and get on with life.

@colorado
If'n I was going into grizzly country I wouldn't take a pussy little 243 or 270 I would grab my Whelen and 275 grain woodleigh PPSPs.
Bob.

Dispatched two grizzlies at less than 30 feet with my 270 a long time ago. Bullet placement. Shot them both between the eyes one was coming. Still have that rifle. Though now that I'm older and less immortal than in my 20s I take either my 375 Weatherby or (next time) my 500 Jeffery :)

6mm Rem AI is one of my all-time favorite deer cartridges. It has really come into its own with the heavier Barnes offerings.

Speaking of 6mm cartridges, I have long had a fascination with the 244 H&H. When I have more time on my hands, I plan on necking the 6.5 PRC down to 6mm and giving it the AI treatment so as to mimic the 244 H&H and beat the 240 Wby.

Great target/varmint round. A bit low in the SD department for hunting larger stuff. I've collected a lot of neighbor's .244 pills out of dead deer that ran 1/2 mi or so before expiring via painful death....Would never entertain using one for plains game in Africa as there are so many larger caliber rounds better suited for it. I've seen a few impala and springbuck that looked at you like you owed them money (before they ran after getting properly hit with much bigger stuff!!!) lol Def. need that faster twist to get the most out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg