Taxidermy trainwreck ... twice

I do most of my own skull mounts. I have done European and what I would call American (with teeth). I prefer the European style. To me it is just cleaner, and with care you can make the saw cut to get a good presentation angle.

My favorite buffalo mount is my wife’s, a skull cap on a short pedestal for table top presentation.

[AT
Image1682344300.253862.jpg

Well crap, that is not my wife’s buffalo, no idea where that photo came from, but you get the idea

I make these plaques. Keep the mounting board small, just a bit larger than the mount, and set it off the wall a bit. Adjustable to the desired angle

1E34B965-2542-452A-8E26-438B6617BCDF.jpeg
748ED5B6-33DB-44B9-A7C8-679966EB69CC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear about your trophy’s. Really sorry you went back to them for a second time.
Thank you for telling your experience with Karoo Taxidermy.
I dip and pack in SA and then get my tanning and taxidermy done here in USA. There are several threads on here that discuss this topic at length.
I am sure there are good taxidermists in SA but Karoo is not one of them. I can’t help you with eastern cape area.
I anxiously await some heads from Splitting Image which they are doing dip and pack . Two of those are being carved with intricate designs. From what I can tell they seem to be a quality outfit.
Need a dip and pack in Limpopo SA ? Trophy Solutions is excellent.
Unfortunately, regulations in Canada have made it not cost effective to have capes sent dip and pack. Many tanneries simply won't deal with it. We don't have the space to designate SOLELY to accepting and processing dip and pack foreign stuff. Then deal with regular rodent inspections, no pets on the premises, etc., etc. The tanned kudu cape in the first shipment may be repairable. The freebie Karoo did for second shipment was good. But they put those horns in the pot with the skull and pretty much wrecked them. More on that later.

Hunters and Collectors in Port Elizabeth just sent me a video of the most recent tanned two capes from last year's hunt. They look good. Nice of him to take the time to video as he unfolds the cape and goes through everything. Wet tanned capes (from dip and pack) are certainly easier to work with but my daughter has done excellent work rehydrating dry tanned stuff (see attached cougar). Hunters also removed ALL horns from ALL the skulls (even black wildebeest) so there won't be any rotten flesh left on cores or holes drilled in the horns. I have seen photos of the skulls with horns off and reattached. It's all my stuff for sure. Looks very good. This is the way business should be done!

I make these plaques. Keep the mounting board small, just a bit larger than the mount, and set it off the wall a bit. Adjustable to the desired angle
That's the way I do mule deer and pronghorn because they have to be tilted significantly. Clients seem to prefer the angled plaques, I don't. Whitetails can be mounted on plaques flat to the wall by simply trimming just a bit off the bone that surrounds the spinal channel. Trim as needed with a course file to change the pitch and bring G2 to nearly vertical position. For elk cap mounts I prefer mounting them flat against the wall. Not entirely a natural pose but saves on space and still displays all features of the antlers nicely. Mounting the antlers flat drops the brow tines to a downward angle which saves on room space, especially at a level where room space is needed. Note how the brow tines on this rack of mine are less intrusive. The royal points do protrude more but they're higher than my head.
16823502216156383872275088098746.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting, it creates a real worry for me. I’m waiting for 4 trophies from them. Holding thumbs that their work improved post covid.
Tell them you want to see photos of progress. Definitely must send you photos of the stuff BEFORE it goes in the crate. Not photos of it in the crate covered with packing crap. They claimed that's all they had for insurance company. Maybe ask them to send you short video walking around the mounts from different perspectives. I heard Karoo is shipping stuff themselves now instead of going through that ripoff forwarder outfit. You should get a complete breakdown of everything before sending them the money to ship. Be aware that shipping weight is different than actual weight. Shipping weight is calculated based on dimensions of the box. Air freight company can pick between which of two rates works best for them. Kinda makes sense when you think about it. So you should see a quote from the airline or oceanic shipper included in breakdown from whoever is handling the freight. Have you found a customs broker? Keep an ear to the ground with those guys. The African shipper (Karoo?) should send you documents indicating expected arrival. Send them to you AND your broker. Make sure the customs broker is moving the stuff along through inspection after arrival at port of entry. My last shipment wound up in the Twilight Zone and I had to pay a helluva storage fee to air freight company. Then my broker didn't get ANY info from the truck freight company when the crate was picked up. Return to the Twikight Zone!

Where to start? This all makes me very angry! It is the outfitters job to clean skulls, flesh and salt hides, and deliver to a reputable taxidermist for permits and shipping whether dip and pack or finished taxidermy. They are firstly responsible And should make this right with you. You are correct that it was very fortunate that the Ag department didn't burn it all!
I guess I would have to pose the question of why would you go hunt again with people like this? There are so many good outfitters there.
This and countless other similar occurrences proves my point that African outfitters have to take full responsibility for their clients trophies. Not just conduct the hunt and say "see ya!"
I am in the lucky situation to hunt with Frontiers safaris. They have an in house taxidermy so the buck stops with them on all of it.
Regards,
Philip

Where to start? This all makes me very angry! It is the outfitters job to clean skulls, flesh and salt hides, and deliver to a reputable taxidermist for permits and shipping whether dip and pack or finished taxidermy. They are firstly responsible And should make this right with you. You are correct that it was very fortunate that the Ag department didn't burn it all!
I guess I would have to pose the question of why would you go hunt again with people like this? There are so many good outfitters there.
This and countless other similar occurrences proves my point that African outfitters have to take full responsibility for their clients trophies. Not just conduct the hunt and say "see ya!"
I am in the lucky situation to hunt with Frontiers safaris. They have an in house taxidermy so the buck stops with them on all of it.
Regards,
Philip
The outfitter did attempt to make it right. They arranged for a Skype call to the manager. He agreed to tan a second cape and made all kinds of assurances that skulls would be cleaned properly the next time and no painting. He said that was common practice in Africa. I said it is NOT in North America and I can't have painted crap in my home which is essentially our taxidermy business showroom. Fortunately, I had some experience cleaning painted skulls and nothing to do during lockdown so fixed what could be fixed. Also, I told him if they are painting skulls it should appear on their website's description of dip and pack procedure. Had they done that, I would have given instructions against it (but Karoo would have to properly clean the skulls). Anyway, it seemed some satisfaction was reached. Then Karoo struck out again. Chapter two later today. Yes, I did go back to the same outfitter a third time but no Karoo. And the outfitter did help mitigate the damage of second disaster by setting me up with some replacement trophies at below bargain basement prices. Two were at cost I'm sure. I had great experiences hunting with that lodge. And really, when you get down to it, the experience is what counts, not the stuff on the wall. But having a taxidermist screw things up AND charge through the nose, well that just leaves memories that can erase the long difficult stalk, good shooting, beautiful scenery, and wonderful people. It also wastes money that could be used to finance another memorable adventure.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes.

I'd suggest you take stock of @Red Leg 's advice. There are many ways to save or enhance the look of your trophies without resorting to more African taxidermy debacles.

A few ideas from my home that would completely eliminate your woes while giving the pieces a European aesthetic:

IMG_7139.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

We do a lot of cap mounts, especially moose. Moose euros are such an enormous hassle, I usually price it out of sense. But still wind up doing at least a couple a year. Most clients who choose caps go for the formed foam style covered in velvet with gaudy drapery cord wrapped around the bases below crowns/buttons (ugh!). All of my caps are done in pleated velvet. No rope needed to cover bases. More and more clients are moving in that direction. I prefer to make my own crown rope if needed out of same fabric as cap cover. Most clients want the gaudy look. We have one combination of purple velvet cap covering with gold drapery rope around the buttons called "Crown Royal" after the fancy bag used to package Canadian whiskey of the same name. It's perhaps our hottest seller. I don't care for the booze or the look. I'm sure most clients just hang their NHL hockey touques on the racks anyway.

I was able to salvage most of the first shipment from Karoo after a lot of work. The buffalo had been missing one tooth for a long time as that gum was quite receded. So missing the rest was no big deal. I should probably just pull all of the remaining teeth in jack-o-lantern wildebeest. I had to strip the paint, cook, clean, and peroxide all the skulls. The holes drilled in the horns (why was never explainef) and sloppily patched with window putty were cleaned up with some elbow grease and mild abrasive. Eventually all skulls were reasonably presentable except the kudu which I expected to eventually shoulder mount anyway. But that cape turned out badly. So I'll just have to shoot another one for a cape ... that Karoo will tan free. Yippee! I love hunting "the gray ghost." I was stuck with the alien wildebeest hide. No one would accept responsibility. So the euros weren't a total wash. Horns were okay and skulls mostly fixable with some work. So, after the meeting with Karoo it seemed we were on the same page. Shouldn't be that hard to do it correctly. How could it be worse? They could screw up the horns I guess. Guessed correctly!

Last edited:
Couple more. One doesn’t set the mount off the wall to far

6E92DB9D-0D3B-44CC-BB54-399EFD5E4079.jpeg
DDF7A22E-34E4-499F-AFFF-464EBB324834.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross