Ontario Hunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
SA
Okay, after giving this a great deal of thought and upon consulting the forum management, I've decided to tell my horror story. I am by nature kind of a cranky old fart, so I had to be sure this is about a genuine crummy taxidermist and not my negative disposition speaking.

In the spring of 2019 I met a fella at the local gun show who had been to South Africa the year before. He had a great experience and put me in touch with his lodge. We both wound up hunting there in August. I shot eight respectable trophies and the lodge sent them to their designated taxidermist, Karoo Taxidermy. The stuff finally arrived in town the day after the provincial COVID lockdown February 2020. I was able to pick up the large wooden crate at the freight terminal. Inside were naked euro skulls for each animal and tanned cape for kudu and tanned blue wildebeest hide for wall hanging. I ordered tanned cape because processing dip and pack in Canada has become almost impossible. I ordered the euro kudu because it wasn't clear how long it would take before my taxidermist daughter could do the pedestal mount. Also, if the cape was messed up, I would have something more than horns nailed to a board to hang on the wall.

I opened the crate in my driveway ... and the stench nearly knocked me over! Every skull was wrapped in bubble wrap and securely attached to the sides of the plywood crate. Fortunately, it appeared Canadian Ag Dept inspectors had only unwrapped the buffalo skull which, it turns out, was the only properly cleaned one in the lot. The horns were removed from kudu and gemsbuck. The others (blue wildebeest, springbuck, blesbuck, and impala) had horns still attached with rotten flesh underneath. Cape buffalo skull had horns attached but properly cleaned of flesh (somehow). ALL skulls were PAINTED white, presumably to cover up the rotting flesh. Blue wildebeest skull had big chunks of meat left on the back of the skull. The springbuck and impala smelled so bad I had to leave them in the garage until I could strip and boil the skulls. It took days to strip the paint and clean each skull. The blue wildebeest skull looked like a jack-o-lantern with half the teeth missing. The buffalo skull had NO teeth. Chunks of brain were left inside the impala skull. All skulls were badly grease stained (another reason why they were painted). The warthog's jaw was attached with huge round gobs of gray sculpting epoxy. The teeth were stuck on with another kind of epoxy. The glue was simply painted over. All the horns left on the skulls had multiple holes drilled in them that were patched with what appeared to be window glazing putty. Bugs tumbled out of three skulls while I was cleaning them. That would have been the kiss of death for my trophies had the Ag inspectors made the discovery! The kudu skull was the last to be cleaned ... and the worst. Apparently, Karoo lost or destroyed half the nose. They just dug something up from some other critter, obviously another species (waterbuck I think), and slapped it on with a mass of glue covered over with white paint. The piece of bone didn't come close to fitting properly and it was so badly grease stained that several attempts at peroxide bleaching failed to make it match the skull. Well okay, this one is going to get mounted so no big deal if the skull is a wash. Not to be. The cape had slipped hair on the left shoulder that clearly was on the hide in the on the ground photo. Then I unrolled the blue wildebeest hide. Crap! It's some chocolate colored critter, obviously a cow, and obviously not my animal. I shot my bull from right side through both shoulders. This one was shot in the back with exit out right armpit. It was clearly on the ground when killed. Probably sick and dying.

Yes, I was very upset. During my second trip the lodge wanted to drive me down to Karoo Taxidermy for a meeting with the manager. I declined. I come to Africa to hunt. Get me another taxidermist. Instead, we had a Skype conference call. The manager agreed to tan up another kudu cape (which was on my list). Would do nothing about the wildebeest. Unclear who was responsible for that: lodge, tannery, or taxidermist. They were supposed to give me a deal on the next shipment. No more painting the skulls. Okay, I'll give them another chance. Wish I hadn't. Stay tuned for chapter two.
I'll attach a couple of photos.
20210520_125152.jpg

Note the white paint still in skull seams.
20200327_160714.jpg

20200326_071736.jpg

16821853209448911158384552218895.jpg
16821853972771543422423829668979.jpg

Last edited:
Damn that would aggravate my old cranky self. Hope all works out for you. Keep us posted, the positive reviews here are just important as the negative ones. Put this one in the negative. Hopefully the outfitter gets involved and can motivate the taxidermist.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. One thing you might consider is sawing the skulls and mounting them on shields like a most Euromounts are done in Europe (Spain is an exception). It would clean up many of the current appearance issues.

kudu.jpg

plaque1.jpg

Wildebeest1.jpg

A thought: they make artificial skulls for just about anything. It adds a bit more cost to what you have already, but if any of the skulls just don't seem like time or effort will fully fix things, it's something to think about. Any taxidermist worth their salt could use an artificial skull, a little sculpting epoxy, and have something much better looking in very short order. I realize that does nothing to help with the dollars you've already spent.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. One thing you might consider is sawing the skulls and mounting them on shields like a most Euromounts are done in Europe (Spain is an exception). It would clean up many of the current appearance issues.

View attachment 529866

View attachment 529867

View attachment 529868
We are in the taxidermy business and my house, for now anyway, is the showroom. In North America teeth are left on the skulls. So ... when in Rome ... especially when in business in Rome ... display what the Romans want to buy.

I prefer the naked on the wall look (though admittedly most clients want plaques). Plaques, especially dark ones, are dust collectors and very difficult to clean with skulls attached. Some skulls simply cannot be mounted flat against the wall, plaques or not, without the horns/antlers sticking straight out into the room (e.g. mule deer, pronghorn, waterbuck, lechwe). Or Cape buffalo which look downright goofy mounted flat to the wall (been there.) Mounted on angled backing plaques makes for even more dust collection. Also, I think angled plaques and the support behind them tend to detract from the skull being displayed. One has to look over the plaque to see the skull.

It is certainly much easier and quicker to saw/grind off part of the skull and mout it to a plaque. Keep in mind these are huge taxidermy operations. They don't cook the skulls individually (except pig skulls and perhaps buffalo). Several skulls are cooked at the same time (or at least that's the way Karoo does it per my buddy's visit there. The result is a great pile of teeth in the bottom of the pot with the other body parts sludge (e.g. my kudu's nose). Rather than pick through the goop in the bottom of the pot to sort out what teeth belong back on each skull (bone/teeth left at bottom of pot are easily cooked to pieces anyway), it's much easier to simply get rid off all the teeth, dress the skull flat on the bottom, and mount it to a plaque. Pig and baboon skulls need all the teeth for display so doing a bunch of them en masse would be more complicated. Require more attention.

Last edited:
A thought: they make artificial skulls for just about anything. It adds a bit more cost to what you have already, but if any of the skulls just don't seem like time or effort will fully fix things, it's something to think about. Any taxidermist worth their salt could use an artificial skull, a little sculpting epoxy, and have something much better looking in very short order. I realize that does nothing to help with the dollars you've already spent.
I have done a fair amount of work with artificial skulls. Much different than working with artificial fish mounts. Those typically turn out MUCH better than skin mounts. Artificial skulls, even the better quality, are clearly quite artificial in appearance. Not necessarily bad (except the cheap stuff), just artificial. Also, most artificial skulls are a one-size-fits-all affair ... and one size does NOT fit all! Perhaps my most challenging job was putting an absolutely astonishing huge pair of moose sheds on an artificial euro skull. The actual skull would have been much larger than the fake one. It came out rather impressive but we lost money on that one! Required some massive thinking outside the box.

Sorry for your troubles. Unfortunately you are not alone in less than stellar taxidermy on both sides of the Atlantic Ocean!

I have done a fair amount of work with artificial skulls. Much different than working with artificial fish mounts. Those typically turn out MUCH better than skin mounts. Artificial skulls, even the better quality, are clearly quite artificial in appearance. Not necessarily bad (except the cheap stuff), just artificial. Also, most artificial skulls are a one-size-fits-all affair ... and one size does NOT fit all! Perhaps my most challenging job was putting an absolutely astonishing huge pair of moose sheds on an artificial euro skull. The actual skull would have been much larger than the fake one. It came out rather impressive but we lost money on that one! Required some massive thinking outside the box.

I agree: it's maybe not a perfect solution. I just thought maybe it might offer a better look than some of what you have on hand with the real skulls.

Agree on reproductions with fish. I used to have a fish taxidermy business. Most of my clientele was catch and release anglers who stayed at area lodges. Good replicas are remarkable, and can lead to a mount that looks 100% real.

We are in the taxidermy business and my house, for now anyway, is the showroom. In North America teeth are left on the skulls. So ... when in Rome ... especially when in business in Rome ... display what the Romans want to buy.

I prefer the naked on the wall look (though admittedly most clients want plaques). Plaques, especially dark ones, are dust collectors and very difficult to clean with skulls attached. Some skulls simply cannot be mounted flat against the wall, plaques or not, without the horns/antlers sticking straight out into the room (e.g. mule deer, pronghorn, waterbuck, lechwe). Or Cape buffalo which look downright goofy mounted flat to the wall (been there.) Mounted on angled backing plaques makes for even more dust collection. Also, I think angled plaques and the support behind them tend to detract from the skull being displayed. One has to look over the plaque to see the skull.

It is certainly much easier and quicker to saw/grind off part of the skull and mout it to a plaque. Keep in mind these are huge taxidermy operations. They don't cook the skulls individually (except pig skulls and perhaps buffalo). Several skulls are cooked at the same time (or at least that's the way Karoo does it per my buddy's visit there. The result is a great pile of teeth in the bottom of the pot with the other body parts sludge (e.g. my kudu's nose). Rather than pick through the goop in the bottom of the pot to sort out what teeth belong back on each skull, it's much easier to simply get rid off all the teeth, dress the skull flat on the bottom, and mount it to a plaque. Pig and baboon skulls need all the teeth for display so doing a bunch of them en masse would be more complicated. Require more attention.
Again sorry about your issues, but your comments about true Euro mounts on plaques are curious - particularly deer and African antelope Admittedly this is all about taste, but I have always felt the German and Austrian estates had it right starting 300 years ago, and I think still have it right. To me at least, a properly done skull mount shouldn't look like it was found in the back pasture. With respect to antler geometry, walls, and plaques I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mule deer, whitetail, red stag, Ibex, buffalo, etc Now what exactly is sticking straight out into the room? In fact, the a sawn red stag on a plaque is the quintessential Euro. If you feel a buffalo looks goofy then that is your issue not mine. But they do take up room when fully mounted shoulder or pedestal. I actually like the look on a plaque.

But I truly hope you get yours closer to what you desire.

buff.jpg

Ibex.jpg

antlers.jpg

antlers2.jpg

antlers3.jpg

Ha @Red Leg your fairly upper class bud, very nice room or rooms there you must have a magnificence home !

Cape Buff do look a bit off flat on the wall to me & as do some others, remember as this is personal choice, heck most of main are on the floor or stacked in the shed, wasn't a problem when I was younger I thought one day I will get that done or mounted but running out of time now lol !

That nice Fallow & your Spanish Ibex I would of thought you would of mounted ?

Sorry to the OP going off track there, it is sad to see skulls messed up & is a good reason to get heads mounted as there is hundreds of unhappy skull owners, from Africa especially , you need a really good supervisor in the Skinning/Taxidermy shed & most don't have one !

Thats why I try to do most of my own, Baboons, Monkeys & predators the most, if only we could hold our tips back from the Skinning shed boys till we got our skulls but again they can be recooked & over done at the Dip & Pack guys !

Okay, after giving this a great deal of thought and upon consulting the forum management, I've decided to tell my horror story. I am by nature kind of a cranky old fart, so I had to be sure this is about a genuine crummy taxidermist and not my negative disposition speaking.

In the spring of 2019 I met a fella at the local gun show who had been to South Africa the year before. He had a great experience and put me in touch with his lodge. We both wound up hunting there in August. I shot eight respectable trophies and the lodge sent them to their designated taxidermist, Karoo Taxidermy. The stuff finally arrived in town the day after the provincial COVID lockdown February 2020. I was able to pick up the large wooden crate at the freight terminal. Inside were naked euro skulls for each animal and tanned cape for kudu and tanned blue wildebeest hide for wall hanging. I ordered tanned cape because processing dip and pack in Canada has become almost impossible. I ordered the euro kudu because it wasn't clear how long it would take before my taxidermist daughter could do the pedestal mount. Also, if the cape was messed up, I would have something more than horns nailed to a board to hang on the wall.

I opened the crate in my driveway ... and the stench nearly knocked me over! Every skull was wrapped in bubble wrap and securely attached to the sides of the plywood crate. Fortunately, it appeared Canadian Ag Dept inspectors had only unwrapped the buffalo skull which, it turns out, was the only properly cleaned one in the lot. The horns were removed from kudu and gemsbuck. The others (blue wildebeest, springbuck, blesbuck, and impala) had horns still attached with rotten flesh underneath. Cape buffalo skull had horns attached but properly cleaned of flesh (somehow). ALL skulls were PAINTED white, presumably to cover up the rotting flesh. Blue wildebeest skull had big chunks of meat left on the back of the skull. The springbuck and impala smelled so bad I had to leave them in the garage until I could strip and boil the skulls. It took days to strip the paint and clean each skull. The blue wildebeest skull looked like a jack-o-lantern with half the teeth missing. The buffalo skull had NO teeth. Chunks of brain were left inside the impala skull. All skulls were badly grease stained (another reason why they were painted). The warthog's jaw was attached with huge round gobs of gray sculpting epoxy. The teeth were stuck on with another kind of epoxy. The glue was simply painted over. All the horns left on the skulls had multiple holes drilled in them that were patched with what appeared to be window glazing putty. Bugs tumbled out of three skulls while I was cleaning them. That would have been the kiss of death for my trophies had the Ag inspectors made the discovery! The kudu skull was the last to be cleaned ... and the worst. Apparently, Karoo lost or destroyed half the nose. They just dug something up from some other critter, obviously another species (waterbuck I think), and slapped it on with a mass of glue covered over with white paint. The piece of bone didn't come close to fitting properly and it was so badly grease stained that several attempts at peroxide bleaching failed to make it match the skull. Well okay, this one is going to get mounted so no big deal if the skull is a wash. Not to be. The cape had slipped hair on the left shoulder that clearly was on the hide in the on the ground photo. Then I unrolled the blue wildebeest hide. Crap! It's some chocolate colored critter, obviously a cow, and obviously not my animal. I shot my bull from right side through both shoulders. This one was shot in the back with exit out right armpit. It was clearly on the ground when killed. Probably sick and dying.

Yes, I was very upset. During my second trip the lodge wanted to drive me down to Karoo Taxidermy for a meeting with the manager. I declined. I come to Africa to hunt. Get me another taxidermist. Instead, we had a Skype conference call. The manager agreed to tan up another kudu cape (which was on my list). Would do nothing about the wildebeest. Unclear who was responsible for that: lodge, tannery, or taxidermist. They were supposed to give me a deal on the next shipment. No more painting the skulls. Okay, I'll give them another chance. Wish I hadn't. Stay tuned for chapter two.
I'll attach a couple of photos.
View attachment 529860
Note the white paint still in skull seams.
View attachment 529862
View attachment 529863
View attachment 529864View attachment 529865
That is not cranky…I am the most easy going guy but that would upset me greatly!

Again sorry about your issues, but your comments about true Euro mounts on plaques are curious - particularly deer and African antelope Admittedly this is all about taste, but I have always felt the German and Austrian estates had it right starting 300 years ago, and I think still have it right. To me at least, a properly done skull mount shouldn't look like it was found in the back pasture. With respect to antler geometry, walls, and plaques I have no idea what you are talking about.

Mule deer, whitetail, red stag, Ibex, buffalo, etc Now what exactly is sticking straight out into the room? In fact, the a sawn red stag on a plaque is the quintessential Euro. If you feel a buffalo looks goofy then that is your issue not mine. But they do take up room when fully mounted shoulder or pedestal. I actually like the look on a plaque.

But I truly hope you get yours closer to what you desire.

View attachment 529872
View attachment 529873
View attachment 529874
View attachment 529876
View attachment 529877
Compare this buffalo skull I have mounted naked on an angle to your skull mounted on a plaque flat to the wall. In the wild a buffalo bull will be looking down his nose at you, horns up. It might present the view on your wall a split second before the viewer becomes hamburger. That would be a very atypical perspective = goofy in my book.
20230408_112549.jpg
20230408_112700.jpg

Mule deer and pronghorn antelope have horns sticking nearly straight up from the top of their heads. To mount a mule deer skull so the antlers are upright requires tipping it 55 to 60 degrees from the wall (see attached). Pronghorn must be brought out even further.
16821962301464893921956483307598.jpg

Kudu need to be tipped about 30 degrees to keep the horns parallel to the wall. Or yeah, one can whittle off significant portions of the skull (half?).
1682196919330171448934553973772.jpg
16821971116909066594393458823521.jpg

Most Americans take a distinct pleasure in NOT emulating European royalty. They (myself included) threw off the colonial yoke a long time ago. Even in Canada, which departed the British Empire much later, most folks prefer to be Canadian ... as much as possible. Our proud working class clients do NOT prefer anything but whole skulls. I actually did finish up one whitetail in the "traditional European" style last year. Some garage taxidermist tried to bleach the skull with chlorine bleach. Client brought it in for us to clean up. I heated it for peroxide bleaching and it started to fall apart. I used fiberglass to hold what I could together and trimmed it to fit on a plaque. The client didn't like it. He ordered a faux skull. Oh, did I mention he's a "European" Ukranian engineer who barely speaks English :D ?

Most Americans take a distinct pleasure in NOT emulating European royalty. They (myself included) threw off the colonial yoke a long time ago. Even in Canada, which departed the British Empire much later, most folks prefer to be Canadian ... as much as possible. Our proud working class clients do NOT prefer anything but whole skulls.
Now I am curious as to @Red Leg knowledge of American culture. Regardless, I do really like the European look as it does create a very orderly presentation on the wall.

Your experience with your animals is horrific. I am very glad you have named names and exposed this company.

Compare this buffalo skull I have mounted naked on an angle to your skull mounted on a plaque flat to the wall. In the wild a buffalo bull will be looking down his nose at you, horns up. It might present the view on your wall a split second before the viewer becomes hamburger. That would be a very atypical perspective = goofy in my book.
View attachment 529895View attachment 529896
Mule deer and pronghorn antelope have horns sticking nearly straight up from the top of their heads. To mount a mule deer skull so the antlers are upright requires tipping it 55 to 60 degrees from the wall (see attached). Pronghorn must be brought out even further.
View attachment 529897
Kudu need to be tipped about 30 degrees to keep the horns parallel to the wall. Or yeah, one can whittle off significant portions of the skull (half?).
View attachment 529899View attachment 529901
Most Americans take a distinct pleasure in NOT emulating European royalty. They (myself included) threw off the colonial yoke a long time ago. Even in Canada, which departed the British Empire much later, most folks prefer to be Canadian ... as much as possible. Our proud working class clients do NOT prefer anything but whole skulls. I actually did finish up one whitetail in the "traditional European" style last year. Some garage taxidermist tried to bleach the skull with chlorine bleach. Client brought it in for us to clean up. I heated it for peroxide bleaching and it started to fall apart. I used fiberglass to hold what I could together and trimmed it to fit on a plaque. The client didn't like it. He ordered a faux skull. Oh, did I mention he's a "European" Ukranian engineer who barely speaks English :D ?
I am happy for you that you have found clients who like that look. I truly do not care for it. But as my sainted mother (12th generation South Carolinian) would say (often when referring to Yankees) "There is simply no accounting for taste." :cool:

Again, sorry for your troubles with the South African business.

Last edited:
Ha @Red Leg your fairly upper class bud, very nice room or rooms there you must have a magnificence home !

Cape Buff do look a bit off flat on the wall to me & as do some others, remember as this is personal choice, heck most of main are on the floor or stacked in the shed, wasn't a problem when I was younger I thought one day I will get that done or mounted but running out of time now lol !

That nice Fallow & your Spanish Ibex I would of thought you would of mounted ?

Sorry to the OP going off track there, it is sad to see skulls messed up & is a good reason to get heads mounted as there is hundreds of unhappy skull owners, from Africa especially , you need a really good supervisor in the Skinning/Taxidermy shed & most don't have one !

Thats why I try to do most of my own, Baboons, Monkeys & predators the most, if only we could hold our tips back from the Skinning shed boys till we got our skulls but again they can be recooked & over done at the Dip & Pack guys
@Sarg, @Red Leg 's home, gunroom and and other areas of his residence are far and above more tasteful than anything I have seen in my 70 years. He is a combination retired military officer, complete outdoorsman, and a full aesthete (I believe means he appreciates art and beautiful things). And he appears to impress many members of this forum on a regular basis with his written articles. His knowledge is so vast. Every time he writes in a new thread, many of just can't wait to see what he has to say, although I'll be the first to admit, I don't always understand. How lucky we are to have someone of his caliber as a member of our forum.

Hate to see your troubles, have you tried the 3-D skull reproductions that some taxidermy outfits are offering. This is becoming more popular as governments are making it harder to import lions and probably more species in the future.
Not sure of the process but they scan an actual skull and make an exact replica.

Hate to see your troubles, have you tried the 3-D skull reproductions that some taxidermy outfits are offering. This is becoming more popular as governments are making it harder to import lions and probably more species in the future.
Not sure of the process but they scan an actual skull and make an exact replica.
Hmm. Interesting. Sounds like 3-D photocopier. I guess if it's possible to make a working gun with one of those, it should be possible to reproduce skulls. I haven't seen it yet but don't doubt it's being done. Perhaps the future may be photocopying skull and sending the data to client rather than messing with freight and inspections. Also, no need to worry about bleaching out grease stains. That might work, especially for animals with detachable horns. Could also remove the teeth and send those along too. It would make quite a compact package = reduced freight $$$. My buffalo skulls must weigh as much if not more than shoulder mounts. Simply sending the hollow horns with a bag of teeth and a memory stick would be a lot cheaper. Of course, there's still the cost of replicating on the client's end. I'll have to check into this.

I’ve seen it advertised by some of the outfitters on here that sell the non-exportable lion hunts. Also the brown hyena hunts.may want to check out some of the hunts for those species that are in the hunt opport here to find out who does the reproductions.

Sorry to hear about your trophy’s. Really sorry you went back to them for a second time.
Thank you for telling your experience with Karoo Taxidermy.
I dip and pack in SA and then get my tanning and taxidermy done here in USA. There are several threads on here that discuss this topic at length.
I am sure there are good taxidermists in SA but Karoo is not one of them. I can’t help you with eastern cape area.
I anxiously await some heads from Splitting Image which they are doing dip and pack . Two of those are being carved with intricate designs. From what I can tell they seem to be a quality outfit.
Need a dip and pack in Limpopo SA ? Trophy Solutions is excellent.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross