Jody

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
North America. South Africa
In response to several inquiries, Here's another shield up for sale. This one was going to go to a local taxidermist, But I like it enough to offer it here first.
Made from domestic hardwoods ( I'm still working on getting some imported African wood) shield is 77x17 1/4". Base is 24x25 spears are 75"
The goal was to have it look hand made, I admit I cheated a little with machines on this. After the glue up of the boards only hand tools were used, so you will notice that the carved lines are not perfect straight , spears aren't perfectly round etc.
my spear heads can use some work but I don't get the opportunity to use metal that often.
Asking $300 plus the shipping on this one. If you need more photos or info let me know. iPad photos under fluorescent lights aren't always the best.
Oh ya remind me to tell you a funny story about leaving spears in a bloody truck bed in a residential neighborhood (oops!!! )

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Looks great Jody!

Awesome work Jody!

impressive!!!

Very nice! I might have to commission some work from you one of these days!

What's your wait time on a project generally?

very nice. I think the spears look very nice also. I am still deciding how I will do my spears but have an idea in my head.

Beautiful work on a really nice piece of wood.

Wait time would depend on the season, deer season, bear season, you get the idea.
I don't plan on taking orders for these. If I'm feeling inspired and have time I'll make one and post it here first. Just looked liked a fun project, and a little different than the usual projects I make.

Does the 300 include the base, shield and spears? Do you have any idea on shipping cost to AZ?

Yup, the whole set. I'll call the shipping store and try and get a ball park on the shipping to AZ

Got your pm and look forward to getting them(y).

So what is the story about them in the back of your truck?

SOLD

Now for the story.

I'm in a program that goes into residential areas and hunts deer for the county food bank. The area I'm assigned to hunt is an extremely , extremely wealthy community and very few have any outdoor knowledge but almost all of them are very supportive of the program.
On Monday night I shoot a doe and our rules don't allow us to gut the deer in the woods. So Mrs doe gets cleaned in the back of my truck. Tuesday I finished the spears at a buddy's house. Wednesday I forget the spears in the back of the truck. I come out of the woods to be greeted by several police cars and a few frantic looking neighborhood folk. Now I've got to explain why there are spears in a bloody truck bed. A couple was walking their dog and happened to notice mess that I did not have time to clean up.
"No officer, the reason no one has seen my wife in a few days is because she's home sick --wink, wink"

Now the cop in my neighborhood (yup, just one). Would have took one look and said, "that's jody's truck, think nothing of it"

Jody. Too funny. I can only imagine what stories the neighbors were thinking.

Your new shield looks great!

SOLD

Now for the story.

I'm in a program that goes into residential areas and hunts deer for the county food bank. The area I'm assigned to hunt is an extremely , extremely wealthy community and very few have any outdoor knowledge but almost all of them are very supportive of the program.
On Monday night I shoot a doe and our rules don't allow us to gut the deer in the woods. So Mrs doe gets cleaned in the back of my truck. Tuesday I finished the spears at a buddy's house. Wednesday I forget the spears in the back of the truck. I come out of the woods to be greeted by several police cars and a few frantic looking neighborhood folk. Now I've got to explain why there are spears in a bloody truck bed. A couple was walking their dog and happened to notice mess that I did not have time to clean up.
"No officer, the reason no one has seen my wife in a few days is because she's home sick --wink, wink"

Now the cop in my neighborhood (yup, just one). Would have took one look and said, "that's jody's truck, think nothing of it"
Funny...

Shield came out awesome. May need to have you make one for me. PM me with some details

...On Monday night I shoot a doe and our rules don't allow us to gut the deer in the woods. So Mrs doe gets cleaned in the back of my truck...

Ha ha! I've done that before too. I don't recommend it to anyone unless you have no other choice. When I was done, I hosed everything out of my truck in the driveway. For the next two months, everyone that walked a dog by wondered why their pet wouldn't want to leave my driveway. It was really funny. Very nice work on the shield, by the way (I suppose I should say something on topic!).

Wait time would depend on the season, deer season, bear season, you get the idea.
I don't plan on taking orders for these. If I'm feeling inspired and have time I'll make one and post it here first. Just looked liked a fun project, and a little different than the usual projects I make.
what kind of dollars are we talking about?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.