Taxidermy References In South Africa

Had better luck with having my taxidermy done in Africa. Better pricing and delivery in Africa than here. I've had issues both ways, in fact most complaints I hear about African taxidermists can apply to North American taxidermy. Had major issues here with my Buffalo. I think you can have good or bad no matter where you get your work done. Do your due diligence no matter where you get your work done. I did have work done at highveld in 2012 and I was really happy with the quality. Had an issue with them sending me the wrong nyala but they made it right by shipping mine and paying to have the other one shipped back, communication back then was very good.

@cls When you say "here" you are in the same boat I'm in.... We're Canadian! If I could get someone here (that was reputable) to do mounts for $500-$750 like @jpomazi says he gets, I'd have it done here. As it is I can't afford to get it done here! Why is Taxidermy so much more in Canada??

@cls When you say "here" you are in the same boat I'm in.... We're Canadian! If I could get someone here (that was reputable) to do mounts for $500-$750 like @jpomazi says he gets, I'd have it done here. As it is I can't afford to get it done here! Why is Taxidermy so much more in Canada??
People in Canada will not work for same pay as in Africa. Even in US things are way cheaper, compare lumber costs, hourly wages, gas and all things needed to live. That's why we (Canada) is so expensive, same reason I learned and now do all my own.

MB

@MarkB I wasn't meaning Canada vs Africa. I was wondering why such a price difference between Canada vs USA. I didn't think there was that much difference.

I am just wondering now as a outfitter if you had a bad experience on taxidermy work in SA, was the taxidermist recomended by your outfitter, and did you notify him of the "poor" quality work.
Not to highjack the post sorry. I feel as a HO i would want to know if the taxidermist i recomended screwed things up and i will also want to follow uo regarding it.

After the trip it is all a client have from his hunt, and absolute care needs to be taken to ensure it is done to perfection, and it starts with the HO

Hi there

We at life-form have been following the taxidermy threads on this forum for some time now and have decided to join the “Africa Hunting” Forum and become a sponsor at the same time.

When reading the taxidermy thread’s it would seem some members have had bad experiences with Taxidermists and Dip & Ship agents based in Southern Africa and some have had great experiences.

I am sure that in every industry there are good and bad players but unfortunately the bad players always give the good players a bad rap. We are not here to knock any operators but to reassure you that there are also great taxidermists in Africa it is a matter of sifting through and finding the right one that works for you.

We appreciate that every trophy hunted and exported is a lifelong reminder to an individual of their own “African experience” so to have trophies ruined due to negligence and bad planning is inexcusable.

Africa is a vast continent and the logistics of dealing with great distances, harsh climates, African policy makers and officialdom sometimes makes getting your trophies to the point of export in whatever form a challenging exercise!

Some of these countries still use typewriters to print out all documentation and permits. Any spelling mistakes are rejected by the importers so as you can imagine it becomes very frustrating at times!

What is critical is that the taxidermist and client make contact as soon as the trophy arrives at the taxidermist shop. A quick response from the client ensures quick action and turnaround preventing added delays in the processing of the trophy

So why choose Life-form taxidermy?

• Life-form is an established company with many years of experience not only producing taxidermy for the hunting industry but also museums around the world
  • Life-form is committed to quality and service
  • Life-form is committed to customer recourse should there ever be problems with our service and quality
  • Life-form gives each client individual service via relationship managers in our office who handle all the client’s needs and concerns
  • Life-form has large stocks of capes, full skins, flat skins and back skins of all species that are hunted in southern Africa. Should your skin for any reason have suffered irreparable damage from bullet holes or bad handling whether in the bush or skinning shed we can once having notified the outfitter/client replace it.
  • Life-form attends DSC and SCI shows every year and we have our own booths at both shows where we meet with clients old and new
  • Life-form supports outfitters by donating outdoor gear for antipoaching scouts in the field
  • Life-form is a loyal donor to Pathfinders
  • We at Life-form are passionate conservationists and you must know that part of your dollar spent goes back into conservation
  • The hunting and taxidermy industry in Africa needs you the hunters support.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to visit our website.

Attachments

• Crocodile, Bushbuck Fullmount Combination - HH157.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 179
I have a question. I'm not wanting to hijack this thread, I'm asking because it may help the OP and others with similar decisions.
Have any of you felt great disappointment in your taxidermist, but were afraid to tell them how you really feel for fear of what may happen if you piss them off? After all, they are the ones that have something of yours that is truly irreplaceable.
If any of you have experienced this, was it "at home" or in Africa?

I have a question. I'm not wanting to hijack this thread, I'm asking because it may help the OP and others with similar decisions.
Have any of you felt great disappointment in your taxidermist, but were afraid to tell them how you really feel for fear of what may happen if you piss them off? After all, they are the ones that have something of yours that is truly irreplaceable.
If any of you have experienced this, was it "at home" or in Africa?

I had GREAT disappointment in a taxidermist in Michigan USA...was I afraid to piss him off?
Quite the contrary. I fired his ass and repossessed my property.

Yes of course you are never going to be satisfied 100% of the time . The best thing to do is walk through a guys shop, get references and stay close to home with your taxidermy work . If the shit falls apart you can go there and get your memories

African San Taxidermy, outside of Kimberly, did a great job on my last hunt and I had them on the wall within 8 months of the hunt. Great communication, top of the line work.

@MarkB I wasn't meaning Canada vs Africa. I was wondering why such a price difference between Canada vs USA. I didn't think there was that much difference.

I have not really compared finished taxidermy costs between US and Canada, we order and purchase most supplies from US taxidermy warehouses. I would assume final taxidermy would be less expensive in US, gas, lumber, food and most commodities are. Cross border shopping will someday resume.

MB

Taxidermy cost will depend a lot on where you live and the talents of the taxidermist.

Where I live in Colorado everything is more expensive than it is in other locations across the US. Elk shoulder mounts are pushing $1000 if not more, mule deer are up to $700.

It is also hard to compare the US and Canadian dollars since it takes more Canadian money to equal the US dollar.

Ive had very good results/experience using both Bulls Eye Taxidermy and JS Taxidermy in South Africa.. Both communicated well, were very reasonably priced, and delivered on a reasonable schedule.. Everything was extremely well crated.. and the finished products were every bit as nice as what I have been able to get from my DFW taxidermist that we typically use for NA game..

I would very happily use either one of them again (Im sure one of them will be getting a call after our next hunt in July of this year)..

Zululand Taxidermy in Pongola does EXCELLENT work

I have used Relive Taxidermy a few times in Port Elizabeth and have been pleased. With that said, it must be said the company does production work and the work is good enough work be displayed. It is not the quality I can get at home in the US but it is good enough to recommend. I have them do European skull mounts and usually 1 or 2 mounts. Further Paul has been very good to work with. The stuff I want to be center piece displays (like my oribi) I have done in the states. It all gets packaged and shipped very well.
A post above gave a thumbs down to Karl Human Taxidermy. I have used them once and will not again.

So bottom line to my message is you can get serviceable and even good work in South Africa but if its a show piece you are looking for, have it shipped to the states.

I have toured a company in PE called Splitting Image and they seem to do a good job, but I have not used them as I was already using Relive.

Below are pics of a Steenbok I just picked up from a taxidermist in Oregon. Also are the pictures of a springbok from Relive Taxidermy from Port Elizabeth,

Screenshot_2021-01-28-08-12-48(1).png
20190313_184606.jpg
20190313_184553.jpg
20190313_184543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your input. I am very happy with my local taxidermist that worked on my Kodiak brown bear and Dall sheep in the past couple years. I am leaning towards dip and pack then have my local taxidermist do my African game but still exploring other options. I will give a shoutout to Bull's Eye, Life Form and a couple other RSA taxidermists. Thanks again.

Regards,

Hi there

We at life-form have been following the taxidermy threads on this forum for some time now and have decided to join the “Africa Hunting” Forum and become a sponsor at the same time.

When reading the taxidermy thread’s it would seem some members have had bad experiences with Taxidermists and Dip & Ship agents based in Southern Africa and some have had great experiences.

I am sure that in every industry there are good and bad players but unfortunately the bad players always give the good players a bad rap. We are not here to knock any operators but to reassure you that there are also great taxidermists in Africa it is a matter of sifting through and finding the right one that works for you.

We appreciate that every trophy hunted and exported is a lifelong reminder to an individual of their own “African experience” so to have trophies ruined due to negligence and bad planning is inexcusable.

Africa is a vast continent and the logistics of dealing with great distances, harsh climates, African policy makers and officialdom sometimes makes getting your trophies to the point of export in whatever form a challenging exercise!

Some of these countries still use typewriters to print out all documentation and permits. Any spelling mistakes are rejected by the importers so as you can imagine it becomes very frustrating at times!

What is critical is that the taxidermist and client make contact as soon as the trophy arrives at the taxidermist shop. A quick response from the client ensures quick action and turnaround preventing added delays in the processing of the trophy

So why choose Life-form taxidermy?

• Life-form is an established company with many years of experience not only producing taxidermy for the hunting industry but also museums around the world
  • Life-form is committed to quality and service
  • Life-form is committed to customer recourse should there ever be problems with our service and quality
  • Life-form gives each client individual service via relationship managers in our office who handle all the client’s needs and concerns
  • Life-form has large stocks of capes, full skins, flat skins and back skins of all species that are hunted in southern Africa. Should your skin for any reason have suffered irreparable damage from bullet holes or bad handling whether in the bush or skinning shed we can once having notified the outfitter/client replace it.
  • Life-form attends DSC and SCI shows every year and we have our own booths at both shows where we meet with clients old and new
  • Life-form supports outfitters by donating outdoor gear for antipoaching scouts in the field
  • Life-form is a loyal donor to Pathfinders
  • We at Life-form are passionate conservationists and you must know that part of your dollar spent goes back into conservation
  • The hunting and taxidermy industry in Africa needs you the hunters support.

If you have any further queries, please don't hesitate to visit our website.

Welcome!
I saw a numerous examples of your work while visiting friends in Texas. A good friend of theirs invited us over for dinner so we could pick his brain about Africa. His collection was extensive and quite impressive to my hunting buddy, myself and our wives. And per our host, all were done by @Life-Form Taxidermy

Mostly shoulder mounts, from Cape Buffalo down, to several of the Tiny Ten, that were full body mounts.

get taxidermy done here. I had highvelds do mine and what a nightmare received kudu with hair slip and nylala that was brown instead of the black one I shot plus numerous other issues . worst part they have your money and could care less once it arrives in usa you are on your own

Just a heads up Stay clear of Wolfgang Schenk Taxidermy of Germany, He destroyed the tanning of a musk ox and refuses to address the issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg