Taxidermy recommendations for South Africa

Very interesting.

My experience is a mirror of what has been stated here, 20 years ago before my first safari, my best bud who is a taxidermist with shop told me to find another taxidermist for Africa as he has not the time, knowledge or desire to repair and mount what generally arrives in the crate. OR I could hang around and learn to do my own taxidermy. My mounts were completed in Africa, I listened to my outfitter, toured recommended taxidermist, saw their work. Then some months later opened the crate, OMG, life size jackal's jaw not even straight, baboons eyes pointed in 2 different directions. After my second safari I had all "lutan pre tanned". All capes turned to rubber and were a bitch to mount. All safaris since dip and pack, then tan at tannery here at home. I have learned lots in 20 years and now have a ton of good looking mounts. Not at the level Denis posts on here but way better than the bent jaw jackal I paid a taxidermist to do. My recommendation is to plan the cost of taxidermy in NA into your safari if you want mounted trophies. Money and costs are soon forgotten and overcome, a lifetime of looking at mistakes every time you look at your mounted memories lasts forever.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross