Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Gents,

Well I have pics of my mounts from my safari last year. They're not to be completed until September, but it's nice to see them nearing completion. Overall I'm happy with the work that Lifeform Taxidermy has done so far and their communication has been excellent. I am a little disappointed in the Nyala however. I picked out pictures that I downloaded from their website of examples in their photo gallery on how I wanted each animal done. I then labeled these and sent them back in an email. The example for the Nyala was actually from a Kudu they had on their website. So I sent them that pic, but labeled it as "Nyala". Mostly they got it right, but the head is turned at much more of a severe angle and hides the spiral of the horns. I have a corner in the area of the house where I intend to hang the mount that will allow a view of the horns, but still I'm a little disappointed. The example pic I sent shows the head mostly facing you as it hangs on the wall.

Anyway, here they are.

IMPALA2.jpg WATERBUCK.jpg IMPALA3.jpg KUDU.jpg NYALA.jpg IMPALA1.jpg

Phil

There are some great trophies you have...

Phil,

Those are unique looking ways to pose the animals with the body against the wall the way they did. Nice trophies. I know how you feel about the amount of turn. Same thing happened with my sable mount. I envisioned about a quarter turn and got a ninety degree turn. But at least it was turned the right direction.

Thanks guys. The nyala mount had it been turned to the left would have been easier to work with. But I'm going to use a wall that was in my mind going to be the spot for a lifesize leopard someday. It will allow for viewing the spiral on the nyala. I do love those mounts that show off the shoulder. I have a Coues deer mount that my taxidermist buddy did for me a few years ago that looks like the Kudu mount.

I dug up what the nyala mount was supposed to look like. It's actually a kudu as I mentioned.

nyala1.jpg

Good News on Nyala

Well I sent an email to LifeForm last evening informing them of my concern with the Nyala mount. I must give kudos where deserved, see below the email exchanged.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 27 July 2011 03:43 AM
To: Linda Messaris
Subject: Re: Mount Pictures

Linda,

Thanks for the email, they look great. I was a little surprised at the
Nyala in that the head is turned more than I expected. I've attached the
pic that I sent that is actually of a Kudu but was how I wanted the Nyala
done. In the pic attached you'll notice the head isn't turned at as much of
an angle as my Nyala is in the pics you sent. At this point is there any
chance that it could be corrected? Thanks again for the pics.

Dear Mr. Clayton

Thank you for your email.

You are right. I checked the pictures you have send again and agree with
you.

I have requested that the taxidermist re-mount your Nyala according to your
picture.

We are still awaiting 1 more permit from our Nature conservation offices in
Limpopo province. This gives us a little bit of time to finish your Nyala.

Trusting that you will find the above in order.

Have a lovely day!

Kind Regards,

LINDA MESSARIS
For and on behalf of Life-Form Taxidermy cc
PO Box 763, White River, 1240, Mpumalanga, R.S.A.
7 Aluminium Road, White River, 1240, Mpumalanga, R.S.A.
Tel: +27 13 751 2527
Fax: +27 13 750 1512
Website: Life-Form Taxidermy || Realism, Beauty & Permanence

Wow, great mounts! Glad they are correcting the problem. They nyala has a lot of details in the face!

That is a pretty stand up move on their part.

Your Kudu is the most extreme offset shoulder I have ever seen, very unique. I am sure they will look great on your wall.

Nice trophies. Glad to hear they are making you happy with some changes. Mine from last year should be done almost anytime. Can't wait.

nd

Got a picture of the Nyala after being fixed and thought I'd share it. I'm happy how this turned out as it will show off the horns and the nose chevron much better.

Nyala Fixed.jpg

Phil, looks very nice! The shape of the horns is almost like a Mountain Nyala.

Thanks Scott, now you know why I was disappointed in the original configuration. I think it would a shame to hide that lyre shape.

Great mounts Phil once they get the Nyala corrected your going to have some Fine mounts to show off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross