Taxidermy or next safari?

Sell the wife, keep the trophies (y):whistle:
+1 or build a trophy room out back of the house, man cave if you will, keep your trophys and expand. Don't sell those you already have though. At least if it were me I'd regret that for the rest of my life.
Maybe I'm a jerk or something but there's no way my wife would get away with telling me my trophies couldn't be in the house.

I told Brandi when we were first dating that I am a gun nut, I hunt, and I fish and all the things that go along with it. If you can't handle that the door is over there. It was the last conversation we've ever had about it and that was 18 years ago. I started taking her with me even though she doesn't hunt and she's been to Africa and Romania on trips with me. She loves going. She told me I can't come home next summer without a giraffe sooooo twist my arm giraffe it is and that's probably the only reason she is speaking to me since she doesn't get to go this time.

Ahhh the memories... but seems like selling is a better option so I can go back hunting again. Hi
I told Brandi when we were first dating that I am a gun nut, I hunt, and I fish and all the things that go along with it. If you can't handle that the door is over there. It was the last conversation we've ever had about it and that was 18 years ago. I started taking her with me even though she doesn't hunt and she's been to Africa and Romania on trips with me. She loves going. She told me I can't come home next summer without a giraffe sooooo twist my arm giraffe it is and that's probably the only reason she is speaking to me since she doesn't get to go this time.
Sounds like you have it all sorted.

We have been together for 13 years - a bit late now to try and lay down the law!

Considering the quality of woman she is it's a small price for peace.

Ado

I was in the same boat as you. many different trips, lots of taxidermy and NONE in the house. We have a wall 18 foot high and 30 ft long with never a nail in it. The joke in our family is "my next wife is going to let me put trophies up on that wall, she says your next wife isn't getting that wall..." It is a fine understanding. HER solution was to encourage me to build a trophy room. Do you have any options or a club where they could be stored for you?View attachment 200009
No other storage options but I guess many have said don't sell as in years to come you will regret it.

Not all my trophies are equal - perhaps I can sell some but keep just a few that are very special... like the buff.

Ado

Man, that is a tough call. I'm out of space in my man cave and a shoulder mount kudu doesn't fit the other rooms' decor so my next hunt is a cull hunt. Will take photos and make up a hard copy album with dates, times, conditions, rifle used, etc. Don't have any plans on selling my trophies but at some point I would prefer giving them away to an educational or other venue where many others could enjoy them and learn something about Africa.

No other storage options but I guess many have said don't sell as in years to come you will regret it.

Not all my trophies are equal - perhaps I can sell some but keep just a few that are very special... like the buff.

Ado
I think that makes the most sense yet. Can you work out a compromize with your wife to put a couple in the house, or even garage?

And here's another thought.. sell, donate, or borrow them to a place you can go see them somewhat regularly. A sporting goods store? Your sons school? Are you ok with a little public speaking? Go once per year to the school and give a little talk about your expieriences. Try to pass on your hunting passion to a kid who would otherwise never hear of such expieriances first hand. And with visual aids!

Then go on a cull hunt, if you haven't allready, read Hank's report.

@Ado is there a Cabela's or Bass pro? Even a dick sporting goods might like a few mounts to display. This way you can still go see them and enjoy them and your wife would be happy. Just thinking outside the box.

As far as the next issue of paying for the next hunt...home equity line of credit?

Another thought on trophies... if you do manage to negotiate with your wife to keep one or some in the house.... inspect them carefully to be sure everything is ok. Check for odors. Have them treated for bugs and UV. You sure would not want your wife to smell something off or see bugs crawling on them.

I am amazed at some of mine... the dog ignors the full mount lion, lechwe and hyena because there is zero odor. But i have 3 mounts done by a guy who was very old and on his way out of business and they had an odd chemical smell. I had to let them air out for several months.

Hi All,

I have two problems and wonder whether anyone else has faced the same issue, or has advice on what I should do next.

1. Too many trophies from my safaris, a wife who refuses to allow them in the house, and no space for them to be displayed.

2. Insufficient funds to allocate to going on another safari.

I can sell my trophies to solve both of these problems (yes they are both first world problems I accept) but the blood, sweat and tears that went into the hunting of them makes it painful to consider parting.

All in all I have 16 trophies from buff to baboon... and each of them has a story.

Should I sell to make new memories, or keep them and savour the old memories?

Ado...:(
Build man cave.

If the choice truly is down to sell trophies and hunt, versus not.........well I'd hate to sell my taxidermy. But I'd hate worse still being capable of hunting and sitting around reliving the "good old days" and not enjoying new experiences.

If the choice truly is down to sell trophies and hunt, versus not.........well I'd hate to sell my taxidermy. But I'd hate worse still being capable of hunting and sitting around reliving the "good old days" and not enjoying new experiences.

Well stated, it would also be very hard for me to let go of my taxidermy, but maybe the overwhelming weight of not going when still able would outweigh the alternative. Maybe keep the buff and 1 or 2 more trophies??

This is a fantastic thread. I can never sell my trophies. Each has a story. Every time I sit at my desk and look at them I am reminded of the experience and the accompanying emotions. I have only hunted with one outfitter and he's my best friend at this point. Those experiences motivate me when things are tough.

As for the wife situation. I will sleep on pink sheets or live in a pink house. I don't care. But the trophy room, office, man cave......stays. If she reads this she will probably kill me but the wife goes before the trophies or the hunting. Sorry dear........ but thats the truth.

Like most have said already, it would probably be best to sell some of your taxidermy mounts and keep the ones you can't live without! I'm in similar situation as you! There is no more room in the castle, it's full. Space is at a premium. I will be very picky on what I do from now on for taxidermy.

Pictures are priceless!

I'm probably not bringing any trophies home after this years hunt unless it's something I haven't got. Running out of room, and need to tighten my budget, would rather hunt then look at trophies

I'm probably not bringing any trophies home after this years hunt unless it's something I haven't got. Running out of room, and need to tighten my budget, would rather hunt then look at trophies
Agree that's a very sensible approach...

Ado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg