Taxidermy or next safari?

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Ado, Aug 18, 2017.

1. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    +1 or build a trophy room out back of the house, man cave if you will, keep your trophys and expand. Don't sell those you already have though. At least if it were me I'd regret that for the rest of my life.
    Maybe I'm a jerk or something but there's no way my wife would get away with telling me my trophies couldn't be in the house.

akeate, REB1136 and Hogpatrol like this.

2. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I told Brandi when we were first dating that I am a gun nut, I hunt, and I fish and all the things that go along with it. If you can't handle that the door is over there. It was the last conversation we've ever had about it and that was 18 years ago. I started taking her with me even though she doesn't hunt and she's been to Africa and Romania on trips with me. She loves going. She told me I can't come home next summer without a giraffe sooooo twist my arm giraffe it is and that's probably the only reason she is speaking to me since she doesn't get to go this time.

BobT, ArmyGrunt, REB1136 and 3 others like this.

3. Ado

Ado AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, RW, SCI
    Hunted:
    Australia, South Africa, NZ
    Ahhh the memories... but seems like selling is a better option so I can go back hunting again. Hi
    Sounds like you have it all sorted.

We have been together for 13 years - a bit late now to try and lay down the law!

Considering the quality of woman she is it's a small price for peace.

Ado

4. Ado

Ado AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, RW, SCI
    Hunted:
    No other storage options but I guess many have said don't sell as in years to come you will regret it.

Not all my trophies are equal - perhaps I can sell some but keep just a few that are very special... like the buff.

Ado

akeate and ActionBob like this.

5. sierraone

sierraone AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
    Go hunt!

Ado and ActionBob like this.

6. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol Club
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
    Man, that is a tough call. I'm out of space in my man cave and a shoulder mount kudu doesn't fit the other rooms' decor so my next hunt is a cull hunt. Will take photos and make up a hard copy album with dates, times, conditions, rifle used, etc. Don't have any plans on selling my trophies but at some point I would prefer giving them away to an educational or other venue where many others could enjoy them and learn something about Africa.

akeate and ActionBob like this.

7. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    I think that makes the most sense yet. Can you work out a compromize with your wife to put a couple in the house, or even garage?

And here's another thought.. sell, donate, or borrow them to a place you can go see them somewhat regularly. A sporting goods store? Your sons school? Are you ok with a little public speaking? Go once per year to the school and give a little talk about your expieriences. Try to pass on your hunting passion to a kid who would otherwise never hear of such expieriances first hand. And with visual aids!

Then go on a cull hunt, if you haven't allready, read Hank's report.

akeate, IdaRam, CEO and 1 other person like this.

8. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    @Ado is there a Cabela's or Bass pro? Even a dick sporting goods might like a few mounts to display. This way you can still go see them and enjoy them and your wife would be happy. Just thinking outside the box.

As far as the next issue of paying for the next hunt...home equity line of credit?

akeate likes this.

9. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    @ActionBob you beat me to it brother! That's what I get for sleeping in.

ActionBob likes this.

10. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
    Another thought on trophies... if you do manage to negotiate with your wife to keep one or some in the house.... inspect them carefully to be sure everything is ok. Check for odors. Have them treated for bugs and UV. You sure would not want your wife to smell something off or see bugs crawling on them.

I am amazed at some of mine... the dog ignors the full mount lion, lechwe and hyena because there is zero odor. But i have 3 mounts done by a guy who was very old and on his way out of business and they had an odd chemical smell. I had to let them air out for several months.

Hogpatrol likes this.

11. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Build man cave.

akeate and Red Leg like this.

12. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    If the choice truly is down to sell trophies and hunt, versus not.........well I'd hate to sell my taxidermy. But I'd hate worse still being capable of hunting and sitting around reliving the "good old days" and not enjoying new experiences.

Ado, akeate, ActionBob and 3 others like this.

13. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Well stated, it would also be very hard for me to let go of my taxidermy, but maybe the overwhelming weight of not going when still able would outweigh the alternative. Maybe keep the buff and 1 or 2 more trophies??

14. akeate

akeate AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    USA (Wyoming, Utah, Texas, Idaho), South Africa
    This is a fantastic thread. I can never sell my trophies. Each has a story. Every time I sit at my desk and look at them I am reminded of the experience and the accompanying emotions. I have only hunted with one outfitter and he's my best friend at this point. Those experiences motivate me when things are tough.

As for the wife situation. I will sleep on pink sheets or live in a pink house. I don't care. But the trophy room, office, man cave......stays. If she reads this she will probably kill me but the wife goes before the trophies or the hunting. Sorry dear........ but thats the truth.

15. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Like most have said already, it would probably be best to sell some of your taxidermy mounts and keep the ones you can't live without! I'm in similar situation as you! There is no more room in the castle, it's full. Space is at a premium. I will be very picky on what I do from now on for taxidermy.

Pictures are priceless!

16. Spooksar

Spooksar AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Dallas Safari Club, NFA ,CSSA NRA, CCFR
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Canada (BC, Alberta Nunavet) Texas, New Mexico
    I'm probably not bringing any trophies home after this years hunt unless it's something I haven't got. Running out of room, and need to tighten my budget, would rather hunt then look at trophies

Red Leg and Royal27 like this.

17. Ado

Ado AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA, RW, SCI
    Hunted:
    Agree that's a very sensible approach...

Ado