Taxidermist recommendations in South Africa

This is like asking who makes the best chili in the state of Texas!

Mine, of course!!!! :LOL:

I hope Highveld is good.... Since they have about a half a dozen of my animals right now!

I used Relive and had an issue with one mount. I would not use them again to be honest. Although they did offer to pay to remedy the situation.

I myself use relive in the east cape and have been very happy. More then a few good ones over there but none will be quiet as good as work done here in the states.

Paul at relive does better the avg work and custom work if you want that. He has done 15 animals for me and has 6 more now to do.

I told johnnyblues to use him and as you see he is know not happy with one of his. Paul tried to correct it which is more then most will do from over there to be honest. Just realize no matter what any of us tell you it still might not be right for you.

Best I can tell you make sure to visit there shop when there before you just give them the go ahead to do your work.

Hi we use Trans African Taxidermist based near Johannesburg, all my clients have always been more than happy with their work. Have a look at their website for more info http://www.transafrican.com

What was the cost to ship back to the states?
I had a blue gnu, black gnu, red hartebeest in my crate. It came by air. Cost about $1400, if memory serves correctly. I drove to Atlanta to pick it up, so stateside was only the broker fees

I am looking for a really good taxidermist in South Africa. I want someone that will really put in the effort to make the mounts look alive, not just mass produce mounts as so many others do.
Who do you recommend and why?
Splitting Image in P.E. does great work. I have a crate awaiting shipment right now that has 11 trophies in it. Sable, kudu, lechwe, hartebeest, southern duiker, mtn reedbuck, bontebok, bushbuck, springbuck, white blesbuck and gemsbok. They did 4 mounts from my first safari and I am really pleased with their work. 525 lb crate coming by air to Atlanta is running $2800. Drop in the bucket with the overall price of the safari and taxidermy!

I myself use relive in the east cape and have been very happy. More then a few good ones over there but none will be quiet as good as work done here in the states.

Paul at relive does better the avg work and custom work if you want that. He has done 15 animals for me and has 6 more now to do.

I told johnnyblues to use him and as you see he is know not happy with one of his. Paul tried to correct it which is more then most will do from over there to be honest. Just realize no matter what any of us tell you it still might not be right for you.

Best I can tell you make sure to visit there shop when there before you just give them the go ahead to do your work.
. I don't want to hijack this thread and I also consider BillC a friend. I'm sure there are more than a few good taxidermist in Africa, I personally will ship my next safari trophies back home.

Splitting Image in P.E. does great work. I have a crate awaiting shipment right now that has 11 trophies in it. Sable, kudu, lechwe, hartebeest, southern duiker, mtn reedbuck, bontebok, bushbuck, springbuck, white blesbuck and gemsbok. They did 4 mounts from my first safari and I am really pleased with their work. 525 lb crate coming by air to Atlanta is running $2800. Drop in the bucket with the overall price of the safari and taxidermy!
Nice. Not bad at all. I will only 4-5 so that gives me a good idea of shipping costs. I will pick mine up in Houston myself for sure.

As a professional taxidermist I supposed I am biased but think you should have your work done here in the states as the quality will be better and you can talk face to face and resolve any issues. Many African places don't think they will ever see you again.

I've used 8 different outfits for dip & pack and have had issues with several, the best I've used was Swift Dip, they only do dip & pack and have a 90 day turn around.

Where are they based out of?

Mine, of course!!!! :LOL:

I hope Highveld is good.... Since they have about a half a dozen of my animals right now!
I had Highveld do do dip & pack and it was terrible, if I hadn't had a good customs agent the whole shipment would have been burned because of insect infestation. They also sent the wrong wildebeest.

Man. Your lucky it didn't get kicked back. Not the first time I've heard bad reports on this supposedly good taxidermist.

Nice. Not bad at all. I will only 4-5 so that gives me a good idea of shipping costs. I will pick mine up in Houston myself for sure.
My first shipment of 4 trophies ran $1400 by air. In both cases shipping by sea would only save $800 at most and could take several months to arrive. I highly recommend getting a broker to receive the shipment. I use Coppersmith in Atlanta and for $400 they deal with customs, agriculture and FWS.

I had trophy solutions do my taxidermy. They did a great job on my Nyala and did the best they could on an old old bushbuck. I would use them again as I did wall pedestal mounts. I have also heard good things on their dip pack but I have not personally used them for that.

Just been on the swift dip website seems like a well oiled operation

Swift Dip has done 7 safaris for me and they have been the best out of the 10 places I've used.

I have been generally - no, make that uniformly - disappointed by every taxidermist I have used in South Africa. In fact, in Africa. The only exception I have found is Collett's Wildlife Artistry, based in Bulawayo but now open in South Africa as well. Steve Collett is a Zimbabwean, and provides all of the on the ground skinning and initial preparation in the Bubble Valley Conservancy. His wife is American and they are at SCI (and DSC I think) every year, so you can talk to them, and even yell at them if need be (I haven't yet found the need to yell). But the reality is that they do go to the US, they know what US taxidermy looks like, and they are accountable by virtue of being there.

Steve made a beautiful chest covered in hippo hide for me, with an inset of the map of Africa in giraffe skin, all from a recent hunt. A think of beauty, very well made, and now holds much of my hunting clothing.

My trophies from my latest hunt in the BVC will be delivered there shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg