Taxidermist for African Game near Northeast Indiana, Southern Michigan or within a days travel

Letzhunt

AH veteran
Reaction score
I'll be headed to South Africa in April, 2022. I am looking for a quality taxidermist that has done African game near me or within a days drive from northeast Indiana. I pretty much know what I want with the animals I am after and here is the list.
Kudu and Gemsbuck on a duel pedestal mount
Wildebeest euro mount
Impala euro mount
Blesbuck euro mount
Zebra rug.

Suggestions on if I should have the rug and euro mount done in South Africa and then shipped? I am set on having the head mount pedestal done in the US.

Any info is appreciated

I'll be headed to South Africa in April, 2022. I am looking for a quality taxidermist that has done African game near me or within a days drive from northeast Indiana. I pretty much know what I want with the animals I am after and here is the list.
Wildebeest euro mount
Impala euro mount
Blesbuck euro mount
Zebra rug.

Suggestions on if I should have the rug and euro mount done in South Africa and then shipped? I am set on having the head mount pedestal done in the US.

Any info is appreciated
Is there a specific reason you want them done close to home? You will broaden your opportunity for quality work if you can live with a longer drive, or the cost of delivery.

Letzhunt, try calling Laura or Lisa at D&L Customs Brokers in Chicago, (847) 690 - 0690. Your skins should / would be going there anyway. They may know of an experienced Taxidermist in your area.

We'd be glad to help you. The vast majority of our work is African animals. We also build all of our own bases and do a ton of custom work. I guarantee you will be more than happy with the quality of work, reasonable pricing, and turn around time on quality work. We are also USDA certified which allows us to work directly with your import broker and take the shipment directly. We also have many references here on AH you could speak with. Please feel free to contact me, you can call or email me. Contact info is in my banner or feel free to reach out via PM here on AH.
We are also a day drive from Indiana.

Also, even if you use someone else in the US DO NOT have any tanning/rugging done there. You wont save anything at the end of the day, it will hold up your import while waiting on those items, and the tan quality is inferior to what is done in the US. We do hundreds of African animals a year and are very familiar with how things are done here versus there. I have personally been to many taxidermy shops in Africa and know how they operate. Just free advice.

We'd be glad to help you. The vast majority of our work is African animals. We also build all of our own bases and do a ton of custom work. I guarantee you will be more than happy with the quality of work, reasonable pricing, and turn around time on quality work. We are also USDA certified which allows us to work directly with your import broker and take the shipment directly. We also have many references here on AH you could speak with. Please feel free to contact me, you can call or email me. Contact info is in my banner or feel free to reach out via PM here on AH.
We are also a day drive from Indiana.
Where are you located?

I used Lengacher's Taxidermy in Washington, Indiana. Good communication and easy to work with. They have quite a bit of African work when I visited there and they have also hunted Africa so they are familiar with the process.

Artistic Touch in Toledo area. I have used them for African and N.A game.
Speak to Mark 419-693-3845

Highly recommend Kanati Elite Taxidermy Studio in Pennsylvania.

Schwarz Taxidermy in St. Louis. Frank Wagner is the owner a a master taxidermist with a lot of experience with African game.

@gizmo is doing a safari for me right now. Excellent communication and reasonable pricing for the quality of work. Look at some of his threads for examples of his work.

@gizmo is doing a safari for me right now. Excellent communication and reasonable pricing for the quality of work. Look at some of his threads for examples of his work.
Thank you.

I used High Point Taxidermy, about 30 miles East of Columbus, OH.
I’m very pleased with his work. He did take about three months longer than he said and there was an issue with the skulls due to his third party that handles those.
Nice guy. Quality work. Answers your questions when you call.
I wish I had used him for my first safari.
1626622999151.jpeg

Wayne

Last edited:
Plenty of good recommendations. I will say @gizmo did some work for me, he shipped it to me and it was extremely cheap to ship. I couldn't have driven there and back for what it cost. Quality was great, which isn't as hard to find as getting someone who will do what they say in the timeframe they say. I don't give a crap how good someone is, if they can't be honest about their schedule, I have zero desire to do business with them.

Wildebeest euro mount
Impala euro mount
Blesbuck euro mount
Zebra rug.

Any info is appreciated
My brother and I got back from SA at the end of May with most of those exact ideas. We are using Artistic Visions Taxidermy in Pennsylvania - check out their website. Do not have your mounts done in Africa … if anything isn’t to your satisfaction you have no recourse unless you want to ship it back and pay those costs. There are other reasons but that is the main one for me.

also try Nabers taxidermy in Grand Rapids MI.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother and I got back from SA at the end of May with most of those exact ideas. We are using Artistic Visions Taxidermy in Pennsylvania - check out their website. Do not have your mounts done in Africa … if anything isn’t to your satisfaction you have no recourse unless you want to ship it back and pay those costs. There are other reasons but that is the main one for me.
I am considering using Artistic Visions for my June trip this year. How did they do for you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg