Tariff sheet for hunting members of the Big Five explained

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
A recently published price list of amounts and licence fees payable for the hunting of dangerous game and problem animals is explained by the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA).

MTPA-price-list-for-dangerous-animals.jpg

MBOMBELA – Visitors to Mpumalanga who recently got hold of a publication containing a price list of fees payable for the hunting of dangerous and problem animals, expressed concern on social-media platforms, especially about “shooting animals that could rather be relocated”.

Some were aghast by seeing a price put on the heads of sub-adult lions.

An enquiry to the Mpumalanga Tourism and Parks Agency (MTPA) shed more light on the list.

It forms part of the MTPA General Schedule of Tariffs for 2017/18; an official document including tariffs for all commercial activities undertaken by the agency.

“Since all prices/tariffs have been reviewed, it is essential that customers are aware of the new prices,” Ntombenhle Khumalo, of the communications and public relations department, explained. A price review is done on an annual basis.

The list differentiates between South African hunters and foreign ones, as some of the tariffs are only applicable to local hunters.

In terms of the Mpumalanga Nature Conservation Act, Act 10 of 1998, problem animals are referred to as wild animals contemplated in Section 44(1) of the Act. These are listed as black-backed jackal, caracal and bush pig.

Dangerous damage-causing animals (DCA) are defined as animals that habitually cause damage to property, crops and livestock, or potentially endanger human life and cannot reasonably be contained within an enclosure. DCAs can include elephant, buffalo, hippo, lion, and leopard.

Animals are identified by officials of the MTPA, following an investigation into complaints in this regard.
According to the agency, all animals identified as dangerous DCAs are chased back into the reserve from which they escaped.

If efforts are unsuccessful, the issue is dealt with internally by the relevant MTPA staff. The agency admitted that a number of hippos has been hunted by clients who paid for the opportunity, and said the income generated from these hunts was ploughed back into conservation.

Prices for the live sale of hippo (already caught and in holding pens at Hilltop or on truck), crocodiles (already caught and in holding dams at Hilltop) and nyala on the veld (with the buyer carrying the cost for capture) are also included in the document.

Source: https://lowvelder.co.za/407768/tariff-sheet-hunting-members-big-five-explained/

Thank you

nice info, thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you