TANZANIA: Two Area Dream Hunt Sept/Oct 2021 With GAME Trackers AFRICA

Good shooting good animals good hunt keep em coming.

Beautiful animals all around!

Awesome! Congrats on your success!

Day 3- Looking for wildebeest:

We go and check some new areas where the wildebeest are know to frequent. We spot 1 lone bull and decide to get out and make a stalk. We slowly make our way closer and closer to the bull who is continually feeding away from us. About 2 miles into the bush, we spot a few more wildebeest and a lot of zebra all together. We go from bush to bush low to the ground to try and get into a position to see what is there. By now, the bull we were tracking is mixed into the mass. We get to a spot where we can't go any further and wait. then some of the wildebeest start coming towards us. They come to about 30 yards and stop, feed, play fight, and lay in the shade. The whole time more and more start to come, we can't believe we haven't been made yest by sight or smell. I'd say about 25 WB were withing 30 yards of us, none of them the bull we want to see however. We look back in the opening, and there must be 50 Wb and another 30 plus zebra. Eventually the wind shifts and withing seconds all we see is a giant dust cloud. Pretty cool while it lasted thought!

Today the tsetse flies showed up and stayed the rest of the hunt, so time to burn elephant dung.

Late that day we would get on another lone bull and stalk another 4-5 miles. It was hot and humid today, so when we got back to camp, it was Serengeti and Kilimanjaro time!

We did see 2 lioness today under a tree, that was cool. Also quite a few elephant and a very nice kudu bull and Roosevelt sable bull. Oh yeah and a pack of wild dogs!!!! Talk about exciting to see.View attachment 431511View attachment 431512View attachment 431513View attachment 431514View attachment 431515View attachment 431516

So cool to see Wild Dogs!

Cpr312, nice trophies from a great hunt. Thanks for taking us along.

A Tanzanian safari is IMO the greatest hunt in Africa. You’ve taken a beautiful old buff and an amazing WB. Congratulations and keep the report coming!!!

Day 7- last day in the Selous

We start out looking for my warthog again with no luck. Then check waterholes throughout the day looking for bushpig, no luck on this either. I try to soak in all the sights and sounds as we ride through the hunting block throughout the day. We sit for hyena that night but no luck there either. We spot plenty of zebra a few dagga boys, more warthog today. Here are a few more pics of our time in the Selous and the amazing luxury tents.

DSC00519.JPG
DSC00520.JPG
DSC00521.JPG
DSC00522.JPG
DSC00523.JPG
DSC00524.JPG
DSC00525.JPG
DSC00527.JPG
DSC00530.JPG
DSC00532.JPG
DSC00533.JPG
DSC00537.JPG

20211002_081933.jpg

And here are a few of the flight back out to Dar and then Precision air flight to Arusha via Zanzibar. Out journey to Massailand would take most of the day (day 8).

20211002_105809.jpg
20211002_110753.jpg
20211002_113323.jpg
20211002_113345.jpg
20211002_142206.jpg
20211002_142211.jpg

Final thoughts and wrap up on the Selous portion of the hunt:

Amazing wild Africa! Really cool to hunt in the famed Selous game Reserve. Lots and lots of game. The area with the most warthog by a long shot that I have ever seen. Lots of Zebra, Impala, Buffalo, Duiker. Good amounts of kudu, eland, wildebeest, elephant, lion, leopard, and various other pg species. Tons of birdlife, the most diversity and amount I believe I have ever seen in my 9 trips to Africa. If you like birds and taking pictures of them, you would have a good time.

Amazing camp and luxury tents! Amazing food, i am not joking when I say its the best food I have ever had in my 9 safaris.

I would not hesitate so recommend Jaco and Game Trackers Africa to anyone wanting a wild experience in Tanzania. My PH JP was awesome and very enjoyable to hunt with as well!

Now off to Massailand for three days!

Looks like an incredible trip!! Can't wait to do one like this one day. Awesome looking animals taken and some great scenery!

Just an awesome trip Charles!! Wonderful Animals my friend! Congratulations and anxiously awaiting the next installment!

Great hunt so far as one would expect in Tanzania. Looking forward to your Masailand portion.
Bruce

Let's get on with it :)

Great report and hunt in the Selous. I can't wait to hear about the Masailand and all the unique species there. Dream hunt my friend.

Day 7- last day in the Selous

We start out looking for my warthog again with no luck. Then check waterholes throughout the day looking for bushpig, no luck on this either. I try to soak in all the sights and sounds as we ride through the hunting block throughout the day. We sit for hyena that night but no luck there either. We spot plenty of zebra a few dagga boys, more warthog today. Here are a few more pics of our time in the Selous and the amazing luxury tents.

View attachment 431772View attachment 431773View attachment 431774View attachment 431775View attachment 431776View attachment 431777View attachment 431778View attachment 431779View attachment 431780View attachment 431781View attachment 431782View attachment 431783
View attachment 431784

And here are a few of the flight back out to Dar and then Precision air flight to Arusha via Zanzibar. Out journey to Massailand would take most of the day (day 8).

View attachment 431785View attachment 431786View attachment 431787View attachment 431788View attachment 431789View attachment 431790

Final thoughts and wrap up on the Selous portion of the hunt:

Amazing wild Africa! Really cool to hunt in the famed Selous game Reserve. Lots and lots of game. The area with the most warthog by a long shot that I have ever seen. Lots of Zebra, Impala, Buffalo, Duiker. Good amounts of kudu, eland, wildebeest, elephant, lion, leopard, and various other pg species. Tons of birdlife, the most diversity and amount I believe I have ever seen in my 9 trips to Africa. If you like birds and taking pictures of them, you would have a good time.

Amazing camp and luxury tents! Amazing food, i am not joking when I say its the best food I have ever had in my 9 safaris.

I would not hesitate so recommend Jaco and Game Trackers Africa to anyone wanting a wild experience in Tanzania. My PH JP was awesome and very enjoyable to hunt with as well!

Now off to Massailand for three days!
Wow! What a great hunt, and you have some awesome trophies!

Travel and Arrival day in Massailand:

We left the Selous about 1030 on the charter, and the commercial flight to Dar was scheduled for 1255. This flight then went to Zanzibar for a load/unload of passengers, then onward to Arusha. After the 2.5 hour drive to camp, we settle in and enjoy the late afternoon.

I forgot to post this earlier, but here is the entry and exit signs from the Utunge camp. Welcome and good bye

thumbnail295.jpg
thumbnail296.jpg
DSC00440.JPG

Here is the first Massai person with a herd that we encountered along the way, and there were may

20211002_154946.jpg

Once we arrived in camp we enjoyed the view and the bird life at the waterhole. You cant barely mnake out Kilimanjaro in the background. The next morning we would be able to see it however!

20211002_172328.jpg

20211002_181431.jpg

DSC00591.JPG

Day 9 (1st day in Massailand)

Start the day off with spectacular views of Kilimanjaro, then head out. The hunting area basically starts at camp and goes on what seems like forever.

20211004_055145.jpg
20211004_055150.jpg
20211004_055552.jpg

Not 1 minute from camp we see this guy!

20211013_194455.jpg
20211003_063052.jpg

Not 10 minutes later we are seeing all kind of impala and grants gazelle. We see a nice EA Impala in the brush and decide to make a play. He give us the slip, then stops in an opening that had quite a bit of brush in it. We track him after he scampers away to no avail. Always gets the blood going when you can't understand the trackers at all except when you hear the word impala!

About 10 minutes later we spot another ram worthy of a pursuit. We track through the bush and play cat and mouse with him. He eventually links up with 2-3 more rams and they are just continually feeding. They are so used to the Massai people that they never really just run away. Matter of fact, while we were on his trail, 2 Massai come walking through the bush on the way to their boma and their cattle! Our Massai tracker says something and they respectfully wait and only follow us and not continue the direction they were headed.

After a couple of times on and off the sticks, my heart rate was up and the excitement was through the roof. Quite a few times we need him to take 1 more step to clear brush, but he would always change directions. Eventually the rams make it to a clearing, we get on the sticks and I wait for JP to make the call because they all look big to me!

He tells me which one, he finally is clear of the others and start walking, I squeeze and he drops! But then impala are running and jumping everywhere! I think, did I stun him and he get up?!?! Nobody knows for sure, but all 3 of us definitely saw him drop immediately. We walk the 60 yards or so to some thick stuff and finally see horn! My concern turned to pure excitement and joy1 This is a big EA Impala. When the tracker gets excited you know its a good one.

Lots of handshakes and then pics! its 745 on day 1 and we are happy!
20211003_074529.jpg
20211003_074553.jpg
20211003_074738.jpg
DSC00550.JPG
DSC00552.JPG
20211003_074658.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 9 continued:

We are hunting 2x1 here in Massailand, so it's @MikeNC turn on the rail. We look for more Impala before heading further out to the Grants area. Along the way wee see plenty of lesser kudu, grants, zebra, giraffe, kirks dik dik, and a few Gerenuk. Mike gets on a grants late in the day but that's all I can say for now. Another amazing day in Africa comes to an end and its back to the camp for another incredible dinner and drinks.

DSC00556.JPG
DSC00557.JPG
DSC00560.JPG
DSC00565.JPG
DSC00566.JPG
DSC00602.JPG
DSC00642.JPG
DSC00644.JPG
DSC00645.JPG

That Impala is unreal!

Day 10 - looking for Grants

Another beautiful morning, we start off seeing lots if impala again and Mike gets a chance at another stalk, but that's his story. Onward we go looking for grants out on the open plains and high desert. The temperature wasn't too bad, but with no humidity or clouds, the sunlight makes it hot and the need for sunscreen is in full force up here in Massailand. We see lots more game throughout the morning. We have to head to town to get our nonsense covid test to return to the USA (2 healthy guys with no healthy must get tested) but I digress!

On tje way to town we spot a nice grants just posing under a tree, since it is not the hot part of the day everything has found shade. JP and trackers talk in Swahili and they are trying to figure out do we have time to go after this grants since we have to be in town in 25 minutes. It is determined that this grants will not be standing in the same place when we come back, so I hear JP in a mixture of Swahili and English, we must go after him now then!

very quickly off the truck and chamber a round. The grants move off but not far poses partially behind a bush, I quickly take and and fire. He strolls off casually, did I miss?? We walk 20 yards and see him in another opening, quickly fire. I hear a hit, but he just stands there. What the heck? I am panicking now as he starts to walk off. I take aim again at a now hard quartering away grants and try my best no neck him or get one in the vitals at that angle. Again a hit, but now he just stands there. Ok is this like the incredible hulk of gazelles? I chamber one more round and before I fire he collapses. We hurry up to him and he is finished. We take the quickest pics I ever have , load him up and head to town. After the tests, we stop, gut him and take more pics before heading back to camp. The grants is the pg I wanted the most here in Massailand, and glad I was able to take a mature ram with a good spread! This first pic his neck was not wanting to cooperate after the shot so I had to grab his ear if anyone is wondering why I am doing that.

20211004_115240.jpg
20211004_123835.jpg

In the afternoon we head to a new area where there are Tommy's. We see a few but no real mature males. We see lots of zebra and white bearded wildebeest, and quite a few dust devils as the wind was really picking up!

20211004_160534.jpg
20211004_175129.jpg
20211004_181408.jpg
20211004_181411.jpg

That Impala looks huge! Congrats! Did you happen to get a measurement on him? Very nice Grants. I loved hunting the Gazelles in Tanzania. Good job.
Bruce

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg