Tanzania to offer 26 big game hunting blocks in new auction

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source:

Tanzania to offer 26 big game hunting blocks in new auction

DAR ES SALAAM (Reuters) - Tanzania plans to introduce a new auctioning system for big game hunting blocks next month, in a move aimed at enhancing transparency and curbing corruption in that part of the tourism industry.

Allocation of hunting blocks by government officials to tourist companies has been dogged by allegations of impropriety and loss of revenues.

But in a new initiative, the state-run Tanzania Wildlife Management Authority (TAWA) will next month auction 26 hunting blocks for the first time.

“TAWA invites applications ... for the allocation of tourist hunting blocks through electronic auctioning (e-auctioning),” the authority said in a statement on Monday.

“Auctioning will commence on 10th June 2019 and will last for seven consecutive days.”

Eligible hunting companies will be allocated a maximum of five hunting blocks, each of different categories.

Most of the hunting blocks are allocated within the 50,000 square-kilometer Selous Game Reserve ecosystem, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its elephants, lions, zebras, black rhinos, giraffes and other species.

Tourism is the main source of hard currency in Tanzania, best known for its beaches, wildlife safaris and Mount Kilimanjaro.

Revenues from the sector fetched $2.43 billion last year, up from $2.19 billion in 2017, according to official data.

Tourist arrivals totaled 1.49 million last year, compared with 1.33 million a year ago.

President John Magufuli’s government said it wants to bring in 2 million visitors a year by 2020.

I guess this is mixed news. Most outfitters sounded like they walked away from Selous due to rampant uncontrolled poaching, which I witnessed first hand. Be interesting who is willing to step up and bring this great ecosystem back to glory.

The GAN integrity report recently says 7 in 10 land users in Tanz reported having to pay "gifts" every year to Govt officials. That is yearly! Not just once or twice. Perhaps this is The President's attempt at transparency.....perhaps his attempt to raise more money. My sympathies to operators in Tanzania.............long term planning must be very, very difficult when the bribe structure and landscape is continually changing. Investing in hunting camps, roads and infrastructure requires at least a 10 year guarantee. Blocks could be rebid in one year....or one month.....good luck.........FWB

Many of these blocks are the ones that Pasanisi turned back in last year, from what I have read.

The government is trying to generate income, yet the auction is so close to the beginning of the season that outfitters will have a hard time doing due diligence and no time to market the properties. I would not guess the auction would be the income generator the government wants.

Most of Pasanisi's problems were instigated by USFW as I recall.

Many of these blocks are the ones that Pasanisi turned back in last year, from what I have read.

The government is trying to generate income, yet the auction is so close to the beginning of the season that outfitters will have a hard time doing due diligence and no time to market the properties. I would not guess the auction would be the income generator the government wants.

Most of Pasanisi's problems were instigated by USFW as I recall.

Thank you sir for the additional insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois