Tanzania to offer 26 big game hunting blocks in new auction

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Source:

Tanzania to offer 26 big game hunting blocks in new auction

DAR ES SALAAM (Reuters) - Tanzania plans to introduce a new auctioning system for big game hunting blocks next month, in a move aimed at enhancing transparency and curbing corruption in that part of the tourism industry.

Allocation of hunting blocks by government officials to tourist companies has been dogged by allegations of impropriety and loss of revenues.

But in a new initiative, the state-run Tanzania Wildlife Management Authority (TAWA) will next month auction 26 hunting blocks for the first time.

“TAWA invites applications ... for the allocation of tourist hunting blocks through electronic auctioning (e-auctioning),” the authority said in a statement on Monday.

“Auctioning will commence on 10th June 2019 and will last for seven consecutive days.”

Eligible hunting companies will be allocated a maximum of five hunting blocks, each of different categories.

Most of the hunting blocks are allocated within the 50,000 square-kilometer Selous Game Reserve ecosystem, a UNESCO World Heritage Site known for its elephants, lions, zebras, black rhinos, giraffes and other species.

Tourism is the main source of hard currency in Tanzania, best known for its beaches, wildlife safaris and Mount Kilimanjaro.

Revenues from the sector fetched $2.43 billion last year, up from $2.19 billion in 2017, according to official data.

Tourist arrivals totaled 1.49 million last year, compared with 1.33 million a year ago.

President John Magufuli’s government said it wants to bring in 2 million visitors a year by 2020.

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
I guess this is mixed news. Most outfitters sounded like they walked away from Selous due to rampant uncontrolled poaching, which I witnessed first hand. Be interesting who is willing to step up and bring this great ecosystem back to glory.

flatwater bill

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA endowment member/Life member
Hunted
NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
The GAN integrity report recently says 7 in 10 land users in Tanz reported having to pay "gifts" every year to Govt officials. That is yearly! Not just once or twice. Perhaps this is The President's attempt at transparency.....perhaps his attempt to raise more money. My sympathies to operators in Tanzania.............long term planning must be very, very difficult when the bribe structure and landscape is continually changing. Investing in hunting camps, roads and infrastructure requires at least a 10 year guarantee. Blocks could be rebid in one year....or one month.....good luck.........FWB

Wheels

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zimbabwe
Many of these blocks are the ones that Pasanisi turned back in last year, from what I have read.

The government is trying to generate income, yet the auction is so close to the beginning of the season that outfitters will have a hard time doing due diligence and no time to market the properties. I would not guess the auction would be the income generator the government wants.

Most of Pasanisi's problems were instigated by USFW as I recall.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Many of these blocks are the ones that Pasanisi turned back in last year, from what I have read.

The government is trying to generate income, yet the auction is so close to the beginning of the season that outfitters will have a hard time doing due diligence and no time to market the properties. I would not guess the auction would be the income generator the government wants.

Most of Pasanisi's problems were instigated by USFW as I recall.

Thank you sir for the additional insight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SamiraBlak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?