TANZANIA: The Selous With Game Trackers Africa

Every hunter, or at least the majority, have an animal that is their nemesis. There is an allure to most that something like a kudu, or a leopard, or for me, a porcupine, keeps us all coming back time and time again. Great safari and best of luck on your continued efforts for the grey ghost.

@JES Adventures , John Ed, thoroughly enjoying your report. Quite an adventure!

If I understand correctly the problem you had with the Talley quick release mounts (the rear mount was not fully seated), wouldn't this condition cause the rifle to shoot high? So instead of shooting low at the buff, you probably shot over it.

@JES Adventures , John Ed, thoroughly enjoying your report. Quite an adventure!

If I understand correctly the problem you had with the Talley quick release mounts (the rear mount was not fully seated), wouldn't this condition cause the rifle to shoot high? So instead of shooting low at the buff, you probably shot over it.

@375 Ruger Fan

I probably didn’t explain it well but here is what I did. I set the rings on the bases with the levers opened a few revolutions. I got the front ring down in the base and tightened the lever. Then, I thought the rear ring was down in the base so I tightened the lever. But, in fact the ring was sitting on top of the base with the lever tightened down. So, that caused the rear ring of the scope to be somewhere between 1/8” and 1/16” higher than the front ring pointing the scope in a downward position.

BTW - Talley’s are great but they can’t account for Operator Error. Also, some testimony to them that the scope stayed on the rifle with only 1 ring having two shots fired from a 416 Rigby!

Every hunter, or at least the majority, have an animal that is their nemesis. There is an allure to most that something like a kudu, or a leopard, or for me, a porcupine, keeps us all coming back time and time again. Great safari and best of luck on your continued efforts for the grey ghost.
I hear you Mort, stay with it as I finally got my Porcupine after 33 years! I just don’t that much time left for the E.A. Greater Kudu!

I hear you Mort, stay with it as I finally got my Porcupine after 33 years! I just don’t that much time left for the E.A. Greater Kudu!

My quest for a porcupine began quite innocently enough. On a trip back to camp in the Selous some dozen years ago, a porupine meandered across the two track into the scrub. I asked if the PH if we could pursue. He said of course, but by this time and while we gathered our gear, our quarry made good on his escape.

Several safaris later and no success, I again had an opportunity in Limpopo to sit in a blind to secure my trophy. Unfortunately for me, but fortunately for my 18 year old son, as I was about to leave for our evening sit, my son returned and I conceded my hunt so that he could go. He wound up with a bush pig, and I ended up with another reason to return to Africa.

This year, I went for a 10 day night critter hunt and a sure opportunity to cross paths with my nemesis. Again, 10 nights of night hunting, sun down to sun up, and great success on my primary target species, but not a porcupine to be found. Tracks and quills. But no opportunity. Again, another reason to return.

No remorse. No hard feelings. Just another notch for my nemesis, and a greater desire for the next trip back to Africa. Just not another 21 years to success I hope LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross